Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441375 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#344625 - 11/09/10 06:51 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: nltsaved]
kevinkr Offline

Well, I never dreamed of the coverage I would get in countless papers and TV or the facebook hits I received. So far I have helped several individuals and a family find counseling and found a friend in Florida who wrote a book on Clergy abuse, and SAW my story in Wisconsin! I thank God for the opportunity to be able to attend Oprah, albeit I am extremely drained to this day, and we have ONE day to go yet! I think, with the spread across the country, and Canada, we as the fortunate 200 can make this COUNT and even helping ONE person each, makes the reliving the experience worth it. I, am humbled. (Thank God I still am seeing a great shrink) I need it more than ever now.

#344646 - 11/09/10 09:28 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: kevinkr]
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I'll tell you that emotionally this has been a roller coaster and I haven't felt some of these things in a long time. From feeling empowered to anger to anxiety to fear and back again. Some days I feel drained and other days I want to cry. I am using all my tools to make it through this but it is by no means a walk in the park. I have been amazed though at the number of people who have contacted me as a result of this. There are so many out there hurting and it breaks my heart.

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#344672 - 11/10/10 02:54 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: VN]
Mark P Offline
New Here

Loc: Bonney lake, WA
I agree that this was a step forward, but it was a minor step at best. it was the best step that could be taken by the genre it was put to, but we have so much larger steps to take.
On friday, November 12, 2010, partners, spouces, friends of the victims will announce their perspective.

the oprah show will do its forced entertainment focus on things which will draw viewership to the issue, but one thing remains to be focused on and that is how life for us victims really is.

outside of Ethan Develan, has there been any films focused on what it is truely like for a victim??? society needs to see what it is like for a victim of any abuse sexually, to regain life.

our situation effects so many different facets of life, our best opportunity to influence more victims is not to do what Oprah did but to look towards a more realistic portrayal of our situation.

we were abused by brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors. we were even abused by grandparents, great grandparents, friends of family, trusted co-workers. we were abused by teachers, spriritual figures, coaches, troop leaders. but the best de>

#345000 - 11/12/10 09:35 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Mark P]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I watched the 2nd airing of Oprah's coverage of the sexually abused male child today.

I was quite pleased. I think it is an immense step forward. It is such a positive development in our efforts.

Allen

pufferfish

#345010 - 11/12/10 11:01 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: pufferfish]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I agree. My friends, spouse, and I agree that "Part 2" was very informative and helpful.
Howard Fradkin was simply great - wise, compassionate, eloquent, humble, powerful, sincere. Just awesome.
And Oprah's producer "Ray" had some great stuff to say as well -- I really liked his expressions about there being a difference between "coping" and "healing."
Today's show didn't leave me feeling as numb as "Part 1." Rather, it made me more hopeful and less drained.

#345026 - 11/13/10 12:29 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: EvanCan]
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
Yes, part 2 was much more hopeful but in a whole lot of ways it was harder for me to watch.

#345033 - 11/13/10 01:57 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Derdlecar]
savuti Offline

Loc: San Diego
I am here at this website due to the recent Oprah shows. I think it's a great step. It made me realize that I am not as far along in my recovery as I thought I was. I am 47 years old, but have felt like I was 12 again after watching the show today. My personal counseling has brought me pretty far. However, I question whether I need the fellowship of others to get to the next step of healing. Seeing those 200 men together briefly made me feel a little less alone.

#345052 - 11/13/10 07:36 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: savuti]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Yeh..its been amazing coverage. Lots of the public has apparently spent a lot of time on MS and thusly dove into the content. My Videos and Blog site have been full of traffic like never before.

Still's Globs

New Video

#345114 - 11/13/10 06:01 PM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Still]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I did NOT get a chance to watch part 2 yesterday. I feel better about myself after seeing part 1.

Being here at MS has been a godsend for me as far as support from others. My biggest helps have been my T of course and then my csa support group. BUT then being here with u guys.

Living without Shame is so wonderful.

Donnie

#345158 - 11/14/10 11:27 AM Re: OPRAH SHOW [Re: Avery46]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
I'm going to post (soon) about this, but didnít it become glaringly clear (on Oprah) that the vast public lives in blissful oblivion to CSA be it deliberately pursued or passively allowed ignorance?

Still's Globs

New Video

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.