Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
4 registered (focusedbody, 3 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63109 Topics
441332 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#341230 - 10/01/10 08:48 AM Re: The Shack [Re: nltsaved]
Justafarmer Offline

Loc: CO
Spoiler Alert.

Started The Shack, but got to part with the with the big African mama. Thought of Oprah. Never finished the book. Tried a time or two, read the ending while bypassing the middle of the book. Was a waste of time for me, A lot of my friends thought it was a great read.

Greg

#341233 - 10/01/10 09:00 AM Re: The Shack [Re: Justafarmer]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Greg,
Could you explain a little more why the "Oprah" image was a deal-breaker for you?
I ask that only because I know of some others who have felt the same way -- that is, that the "Oprah" image was a negative for them.
I just don't get that at all.

#341239 - 10/01/10 09:46 AM Re: The Shack [Re: EvanCan]
james 1959 Offline

Ive read this book found it hard to understand and follow.

James

#341245 - 10/01/10 10:27 AM Re: The Shack [Re: james 1959]
calv Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: seattle
I read it and I loved it...
its one of those books...either readers love it or hate it...

“When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something’s suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.” Barbara Bloom

#341249 - 10/01/10 10:38 AM Re: The Shack [Re: james 1959]
Justafarmer Offline

Evan,

First, I am not a fan of Oprah. At times, her physical appearance has been rather large. To me, she does not bring a picture of a warm and loving person. More of an arrogance type of person. My opinion only.

I have not watch a tv show of her's, but have seen small parts and it is nothing on which I want to waste my time. My workdview and her worldview are very far apart. Politics, religion, lifestyle differences to name three.

I really love that God gave us free will. That means I don't have to like what other people like.

To others, she may be the perfect model for the role of a large African mama in the book, but not for me, so that is the deal breaker.

Greg

#341252 - 10/01/10 11:08 AM Re: The Shack [Re: Justafarmer]
itrahan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, Gulf Coast
no comment

Edited by itrahan (10/01/10 11:13 AM)
Edit Reason: withdrawn

#341253 - 10/01/10 11:49 AM Re: The Shack [Re: itrahan]
itrahan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had written a very spirited post to Greg, an attack on social ill wills & preconcieved notions. I realized my anger was not justified by the previous post and reread it. Due to my anger each time I got something different, realizing that I am triggering once again which has been fairly regularly the last few days, I believe due to the place I am in recovery. I don't consider myself an Oprah fan of sorts, don't agree w/ severalnf her perspectives, but I think the old saying..."Throwing The Baby Out W/ The Bath Water" applies. It was only through her bringing this Male CSA to light by revealing a 20 yr broken marriage and referring folks to MS that a light came on in my head, begining my recovery journey. Give credit where credit is due. I realize this thread was about a book alone...my bad.

Edited by itrahan (10/01/10 11:52 AM)
Edit Reason: corrected

#341257 - 10/01/10 12:28 PM Re: The Shack [Re: itrahan]
Justafarmer Offline

itrahan,

I meant to offend no one. If I offended you I most certainly apologize. I can be quite plain spoken at times.

I am sorry you were triggered my my post. Just yesterday I was triggered by the news, of all things.

Please accept my apology. I meant no offense.

Greg

#341260 - 10/01/10 01:06 PM Re: The Shack [Re: Justafarmer]
itrahan Offline
MaleSurvivor

greg.
No apology needed....your post was ok, my perception was all over the board. I am in an awkward place just now, all is good. This is a safe place to voice our persoanl opinions, all is good.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.