Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
2 registered (iaccus, traveler), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64187 Topics
447907 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#340232 - 09/14/10 03:09 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: KingFred]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I did nights before, military, a short time at a Walmart as a civilian, then I did it as a security guard for Hewlett Packard (most boring job ever). I didn't mind it all that much except that I rather be around people than silence.

My "issues" got the best of me and I got fired from every job after the Corps(about 10 in a year or so) until I found a regular day job that took minimal effort but only got minimum wage until I was fired from there too. I haven't worked since, that was back in '01. Two more years homeless until disability finally went through.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#340258 - 09/15/10 03:01 AM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: usmc97]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
I've always been a night owl and enjoyed my time working the midnight shift. After a few promotions and gaining seniority, I was forced to work during the day. I never could get used to working a "regular" shift. I retired from the police department 18 months ago and still HATE getting up in the morning - so I usually set my alarm for noon!

Good luck with your new job!

Brian

#340277 - 09/15/10 01:52 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: onlyakid]
Sobernow Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I worked graveyard - when i first got out of college.
I liked it better than working evenings. And people didn't bother me as much - cause they don't wanna work your shift.

Also - I got paid a little more

Just have to get down a sleeping routine - tell your friends so they don't call or visit when you need to sleep.
Put foil on your windows in your bedroom.
Take care of your body.

#340488 - 09/19/10 07:29 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: KingFred]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I worked 11PM - 7AM as a telephone operator. There were about 4 of us, so we did it like the day folks - break , lunch, break and home. The most difficult part was the sleeping pattern. I have read where humans were meant to be awake during the day and sleep at night. However, you do what you need to do to pay the bills.....

#340596 - 09/21/10 11:37 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: alan55]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Biologically, I am a night owl.

It is the easiest shift for me to work. The morning or first shift knocks the life out of me.

I never had a problem adapting to the night shift. I naturally prefer to sleep during the day and I am active at night.

My friends call me a bat, or a vampire -- I retreat to the dark when the sun comes up.

There are those of us who are naturally disposed to being awake early, and those of us how are on the other side of the clock. If you try to work the shift that isn't preferred by your body, you need more sleep and usually have problems awakening.

It takes the body at least six weeks to adjust to a new shift, which is why I don't understand why professions, like law enforcement, put people on swing shifts, where they are working a different shift every few days. The body never adjusts, leading to sleep deprivation, anxiety, anger, and health problems.

Ok, I guess I have said too much. Guess I'm just garralous tonight.

Yeah, I have worked the night shift.

Anomalous

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.