Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (Shyshark, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63177 Topics
441781 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#340560 - 09/21/10 11:00 AM Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Today the Senate will vote on the defense authorization bill that contains the repeal of DADT. If you are with the majority of Americans who think that DADT is discriminatory and wrong, please contact your Senators today and ask them to vote to repeal DADT.

You can fax them easily using this link: http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/repeal_dadt/?rc=fb_share

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#340575 - 09/21/10 01:23 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Howdy, my Sequoia brother.

I just submitted my fax calling for the repeal of DADT.

We, always have been in the military. They spilled their blood for our country. They have given their lives for our country.

So, you could live in freedom.

I am a retired military member. We always have been there.

Thanks, my Sequoia brother, Brian, for posting this.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#340580 - 09/21/10 04:33 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers.

The bill didn't pass.

When you go to vote in November, pay attention who you vote for & what their stand is on issues importaint to you.

We have always been there & still are. Freedom is not free.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#340584 - 09/21/10 08:35 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: petercorbett]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
They attached it to something they knew would help derail it. Simple as that. I knew it when I first heard about the move that it was intended to bury the repeal.

Thanks for the link, Mark.

Interesting how no one minds taking the taxes of a gay person.

#340585 - 09/21/10 09:18 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: prisonerID]
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I find it disgusting that gay people are political pawns. A facebook friend just posted a cartoon that shows 3 coffins with US flags over them. The question asks in the cartoon, "which one is gay?" Oh how, I hope this country and the world can evolve and become more enlightened then they are now.

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#340589 - 09/21/10 10:15 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: MrDon]
InsideTheWall Offline

This policy won't last forever.

#340595 - 09/21/10 11:29 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: InsideTheWall]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
I really don't understand the brouhaha in this country about homo-affectional military personell.

The Roman army not only used to recruit men with a homo-affectional preference, but they would put the lover's side by side, knowing each would fight viciously to protect the other.

Isn't the service one gives more important than how they love?

Anomalous

#340603 - 09/22/10 02:22 AM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: Anomalous]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Thanks everyone. It's disappointing, but since there has been so much disappointment on issues of equality in the last few years it's not far out of our way.

By the way, earlier in the week Australia, who has had GLB people serving proudly in the military since 1992, repealed a policy that prevented Transgender people from continuing to serve in the military.

I saw an old political cartoon today that once again really struck home for me:

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#340674 - 09/23/10 06:59 AM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

I want to express my disappointment and continued support for the brave Americans who are most affected by these type of third world policies reflected in this vote.

Kevin

#340787 - 09/25/10 12:57 PM Re: Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell [Re: sono]
westsidej Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
As one of the few military members here on ms.org, let me offer some wisdom here that those who have not served may or may not be aware of.

When I was active US Navy, we knew who was gay in our squadron but really didn't care and no one was ever kicked out for homosexuality. This was even before DADT

I'm proud looking back since I had not addressed my CSA (still blamed & resented gays for what happened to me)when I was active and still managed to be good friends with at least two of the known gay guys in our squadron. I showered with them in open bay showers and never felt threatened (of course it pays to be my size sometimes) wink or that they were looking at me sexually.

DADT, while not perfect, is a great compromise between those who don't want anyone who is gay/bi to serve versus those who want to be openly gay w/out any restrictions.

I know it's hard to believe but even heterosexuals in the military have restrictions placed on them in terms of relationship. You can't date your subordinate if you're his/her supervisor. The armed forces strongly strongly look down on officer & enlisted marriages and frequently force one or the other to leave the service.

You're not allowed to have sex during boot camp, gay or straight. You're not allowed to have sex on a ship (this actually causes more problems than DADT since somehow many girls on ships end up pregnant)Hmmmmmm??

According to the UCMJ, you're not allowed to give/receive oral whether gay or straight.

It's forbidden to have someone of the opposite gender stay in your room in the barracks, even w/out sex and they can both be kicked out or punished severely.

An Air Force tanker aircrew found out that you can't fly nude across the Pacific regardless of the fact everyone's okay with it.

Michelle Manhart (not making her name up wink found out that you can't pose in Playboy and stay in the military, let alone as a drill instructor.

et al.

Basically, here's my point. What's more important to you as an American citizen?

Forcing the military to accept, not tolerate, certain types of sexuality that are incongruous with unit cohesion, morale and readiness to defend our nation that will have real, not college classroom debates, repercussions on the ability of the US Armed Forces to perform their mission and keep us safe or accept that the gay/bi members can serve so long as they, like everyone else, keep their sexuality to themselves.

Homosexuality's not the norm (less than 10% at best), just like BDSM dungeons, polyamory and swinging parties, in terms of sexuality but all of the aforementioned participants can serve in the military if they keep these aspects of their lives, rightly so, where it belongs, in private.

My personal view, which due to being here on ms.org is obviously biased, is that I really don't care if someone's gay or straight, so long as they perform their job, give unselfishly and put the mission first.

DADT keeps sexuality where it belongs, out of the foxhole, workcenters, ship, squadron or boot camp and in the private lives of military members of all sexual orientations.

That's my two cents. Is DADT perfect? Of course not. Does it work insofar as balancing the military, not activist, mission with sexuality is concerned? Yes.

I'd like to hear from other military vets or parents of those in the military and see what they say as well, please.

Take care my brothers and if you want to take me to task for my views in a controversial manner, please feel free but do so off-line in a PM.

Jay

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.