Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, TheBobcatAgain), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448044 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340531 - 09/20/10 04:02 PM Meditation
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Ok, so my life is extremely stressful at the moment.
School, work, home work, Exams, sharing the load of responsibility keeping the family business going since My Grandpa past away at the end of August. Caring for and spending time with my Mother and Grandmother to make sure that they are Ok and not too lonely and letting them grieve for their loss.
Driving around 90 miles a day to go back and forth from my dads house to School, then to the city, then back again.

And none of that even has to do with Abuse issues!

The lack of adequate rest because of the nightmares, the New haunting and/or disgusting memories, the bodily physical sensations, the phantom tastes.

This life style is really burning me out and causing SO MUCH anxiety in me.

I thought that meditation may help but I don't really know how to do it.
I know the one where one sits back in an arm chair and closes the blinds dims the lights and makes the room comfortably dark. The person then closes their eyes and and counts the breaths, in and out and focuses on their breathing and then they focus on every part of their body beginning with the toe, then the feet, then the lower legs and so on all the way up to the head and while focussing on each part of their body, imagines them relaxing and all stress coming out of their body.

I really liked that one.
I have done that one a few times and it was very helpful. The problem is, is that there was a CD playing soft, instrumental music in the back round, and I don't have nor do I know where to get such a CD.

Does anyone know of a Meditation-like Music that I could get somewhere or can someone please suggest something. Or maybe point me in the right direction for things like this in general?????

Also, can anyone suggest a guide or a place were I may find a guide to practice meditation. The Ones where they instruct you on what to do like "Now closes you eyes and a take a deep breath and as you breath out, make it last for 5 seconds....." Something like that.

Or if somebody knows another type of meditation or relaxing exercises, Please, Please, Please! Share!!!!!!

I really need to find a way to deal with this stress! I am aware of how vulnerable I am right now into slipping back into old, past detrimental coping mechanisms and behaviors, like acting out and drugs and stuff and I really don't wanna do that or that to happen.

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Logan

Edited by Logan (09/20/10 04:04 PM)
-Blade Runner

#340542 - 09/20/10 09:06 PM Re: Meditation [Re: Logan]
SunnyGirl Offline

Logan,
I'm sorry to hear of your loss of your Grandfather. I lost one of my parents and had a really hard time sleeping for quite some time, but then I started listening to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's CDs before going to bed. I own the Brainwave Suite and really like it. It is a combination of soothing music and nature sounds that is choreographed to produce certain wave patterns in your brain to induce relaxation, calm or whatever feeling that particular song is geared toward. Don't ask me how it works, but for me, I find it effective.

You can go to http://www.ilike.com/artist/Dr.+Jeffrey+Thompson/most_played_songs to find some of his songs. One of them that I listen to is song #2 -- Letting Go of Stress. I also am familiar with song #3 -- Rejuvenating Sleep.

The CD I have is: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwave-Suite-booklet-Jeffrey-Thompson/dp/B000001OOP. The Amazon link has samples of the songs online and there are several used CD options available for around $20. The booklet that comes with it is not very helpful. It has a lot of graphs that really mean nothing to me that are supposed to show what brain waves are affected. There are about 2 pages talking about how you should listen with your eyes closed, breathe deeply and relax your entire body. That's about it, but despite the lack of instruction, I find this particular music the most effective of any relaxation CDs I've tried. My personal favorite song for when I'm feeling anxious and not trying to sleep is the Alert Relaxation (Light-Mid Alpha), which you can sample briefly on that Amazon link above. It is just so lyrical and light that it makes me feel better whenever I listen to it.

I cannot vouch for the newer versions of his CDs on iTunes because the CD set I own is this older Brainwave Suite version.

Hope this is helpful.

SunnyGirl

"Change & growth take place when a person has risked himself & dares to become involved w/ experimenting w/ his own life." - H. Otto

#340773 - 09/25/10 07:41 AM Re: Meditation [Re: SunnyGirl]
Hex Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Logan. My wife is a massage therapist, so we have a wide repertoire of relaxational cds. If you have a local health food store, yoga supply outlet, etc. they will often have a large selection. Our local library has a slew of titles that we can borrow and upload into itunes, you may have the same. Key words like Reiki, massage, relaxation, and so on may help. Also themed cds like "Native American Flutes" or "Tibetan Singing Bowls" are pretty safe bets to start googling. There are a number of Massage Therapy supply websites that carry music... these are all great places to look.

As for meditation, the version that I've been doing via my therapy sessions is called Mindfullness, and comes from a book called Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Here's a you-tube link to a seminar that he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc

Good luck with your quests!

Hex

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.