Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (nltsaved), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63555 Topics
444030 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340475 - 09/19/10 02:43 PM self-blame
redsox046 Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Ive come to realize that i still blame myself for what happened. Because of this, it stops me from being in touch with reality causing derealization. It stops me from being able to feel anger at him. I keep thinking, well i could have told or i could have said no, so it must be my fault and i must have wanted it. This is a huge wall between me, recovery and being able to be me again. It causes me to have extremely low self esteem and causes a lot of self hatred and worthlessness. How have you guys dealt of letting go of self-blame?

#340476 - 09/19/10 02:51 PM Re: self-blame [Re: redsox046]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Redsox,

I wish I could say Iíve figured out how to completely let go of self-blame but I havenít. But one guy here in particular Iíll mention no names; (Prisoner ID) took me to task on an issue that kept me self blaming. I donít know it this fits your situation but it was a revelation to me. I refused through many PMís to refer to myself as a victim. I hated the sound of it and the meaning of it. So I argued back and forth. Then he asked me if Iím not a victim then was I the perpetrator? It was a splash of really cold water but it made me sit quiet and think about which I was. The answer was clear which released an anger Iíd never allowed to be shown. What followed was a shift in blame from me to the rapists. That single nugget of information changed my life. My weighted net removed. I wish you well Redsox, Earlybird

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340492 - 09/19/10 08:25 PM Re: self-blame [Re: earlybird]
jls Offline

I learned not to long ago that children blame themselves because there is nowhere else to place the blame. Blaming adults didn't work back then since they were our caretakers and therefore were responsible for our survival so we continue to blame ourselves for things that were beyond our control as children. Its just a theory but it makes sense to me. JS

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.