Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
5 registered (Nathan LaChine, RyanW, 3 invisible), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444480 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340473 - 09/19/10 02:05 PM Crown Molding
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Words -
Precisely sawn
Mitered and fitted
Sanded and painted
To hide whatís wrong

Statements -
No contributing structural use
A carpenterís technique
His stunning method
To conceal abuse

Silent -
Builderís delight
Perfected view
His mutilation
Out of sight

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340474 - 09/19/10 02:29 PM Re: Crown Molding [Re: earlybird]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Earlybird,

I'm not sure who the actors are here, and perhaps that is the point...

I'm curious why, if the builder is the abuser and the house is the survivor, it's only the builder/abuser's point of view we hear. "Builder's delight" sends a chill through me.

If the builder is the survivor working to hide what has happened to them, the phrase "Builder's delight" sends a chill through me for a different reason.

Beneath this I sense that the feeling that the "mutilation" is a more structural problem. In a sense, the survivor/builder is reveling in being able to fool others that they are well with fine finish work. There is also a discomforting subliminal sense that the survivor/builder is somehow the architect of his own mutilation.

The thing we have to recognize is that sometimes our mutilation, while profound, hasn't compromised the integrity of our structure. It remains sound, and we finish over those spots in the same way we would if there were no damage there.

If it's what we all would have done anyway, why ascribe subterfuge and self-deceit to it's purpose?

I have ripped my home back to the studs in places and found the out-of-plumb, the un-level, the mis-aligned and butchered everywhere I look, but the structure is still sound - it endures. I reinforce what I need to and accept the history I've discovered as part of the house's story, knowing that I've both made it better and more beautiful than before.

Self-knowledge, acceptance and the love of beauty is no crime.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#340477 - 09/19/10 02:59 PM Re: Crown Molding [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

EFM,

As always your depth of understanding is astounding. I donít know if this fits many others but the Crown Molding of deception has many hands. Some do the mitering others sand and paint, while another installs the finished product often with the help of apprentices. I am both the builder/architect and house and home in which this molding is installed. Iím amazed you saw that.

Is the foundation strong? The structure sound? I guess it depends on who you ask and who takes a moment to answer the question. What I do know is Iím here and exposed bent boards and all.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340497 - 09/19/10 08:54 PM Re: Crown Molding [Re: earlybird]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Off the comments, Mark and eb, and as a finish carpenter, I have some thoughts. As a remodel carpenter, two entirely different fields, I have some thoughts.

As a remodeler, the best way to get to envision the space and capacity of a project is to strip it to the "bent boards".

There are items that should not be moved, like toilet and tub plumbing, newer electrical, HVAC, and dry insulation and so on.
These non movable items in the abuse recovery project could be likened to the personalities and behaviors that do not need attention, or need some small updating, but nothing "structural".

Then there are the items that need to be "R&R'd", remove and replace. Dry rot, studs bowed into a room causing an irregularity in the wall, old wiring, termite damage, and the like.
This I would put into recovery as the abuse training, grooming and rational, from the abuse itself and the perspective of the victim. These need to be removed, and new thinking, and behaviors need to be installed.

Finally, when the structural is finished, new wiring, new studs, shimmed and leveled, new openings for windows and doors, and cabinet supports are installed, it is time for the wall covering, drywall, wood paneling, or FRP, This is the advanced recovery, in my opinion, when the major renovation is behind the victim, now a survivor.
The wood trim, the floor covering, paint, wood putty, stone and tile so neatly decorate this project, to the delight of the owner.

The owner, that is us, me, you, and y'all. We are the ones who live in what we have decided to remodel, what we have decided to tear down and revamp, to our satisfaction.

Crown molding can be used to hide drywall's unfinished edges, electrical mistakes, and a movement in the structure of a house with a poor foundation. So, like a coping mechanism, a vice, our house can either have crown molding to that end, or it can be used to delight the owner.

I prefer the latter, personally.
Originally Posted By: ever-fixedmark
Self-knowledge, acceptance and the love of beauty is no crime.

Yes indeed, Mark, these are the foundation of a house well built and supported. No need for quick fixes here.

Earl, tear down what you feel is not appealing in your house, and repair the cracks, or redesign those areas that are covered by the molding so that they are a joy to you.
Ultimately, you are the owner and proprietor of the establishment, and you may not have hit your stride in this recovery and remodeling, but there is no foreclose sign on the from lawn, either, imho.

#340509 - 09/20/10 01:33 AM Re: Crown Molding [Re: SamV]
markchristopher Offline

Loc: Washington USA
Wonderful poem Earlybird. More often than not I have looked back and despaired over how different I feel from others. It has caused so much pain. But, every once in a while I realize that a house is still a house even with a different layout. We must simply realize the differences and either change them or work around them. And, again I grind myself to bits trying to become something different. It has only been the last few years that I have truly realized there are some things you don't need to change. When I realized this and laid bare the true me, Backwards to what I though would happen, people began to respect me and love me more, not less.

#340516 - 09/20/10 10:27 AM Re: Crown Molding [Re: markchristopher]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sasuva,

Itís good to have a contractor on site to help in the remolding project. Your post here, along with many of our PMís, have been a great help in this remold project Iíve been working at. Thank you. Not all bent boards can be replaced but they can be reinforced maybe even add character and their own beauty to the finished project. Not ever imperfection needs covering. Like the beetle marks in Birds Eye Maple they can be viewed as adding to rather depleting from. The trick is figuring out which flaw needs to be cut out and which needs to be stained to bring out its uniqueness. I guess that is one of many reason Iím here.

markchristopher,

I found your comment interesting. Iíve often seen my home (me) as being an altered structure. Your spin making it a different layout is fascinating to me. Iím not seen it with that subtle tweak but Iím liking the visual of it. There is a more positive view to the way you say ďdifferentĒ layout verses my more negative words ďalteredĒ layout. Thanks for being part of the process of reconfiguring my home. Earlybird

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340517 - 09/20/10 10:31 AM Re: Crown Molding [Re: markchristopher]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Earlybird,

As an aside, the first big project when I moved in to my current home was replacing all the crown, spacer and picture rail moldings on the ground floor. They were painted teal and pink (latex over oil) and sanding them back would have taken forever.

We learned a great deal about the math involved in different kinds of molding and got ourselves a compound angle mitre saw to help move the job along. We looked into the traditional method of working with moldings, using a coping saw to cut by hand what would otherwise be mitered.

In the light of your poem, now I think how apt the coping saw's name is. Making the angles fit is coping. Working to get a good finish is coping. The best way to deal with difficult compound angles is coping.

Life is coping.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#340556 - 09/21/10 07:05 AM Re: Crown Molding [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Efm,

At first glance I didnít like the word coping though I did like the analogy of the coping saw. I have to admit I did a runaway in my head of the difference between the precision of a coping saw in the hands of a skillful carpenter verses that of a chop saw under the scary control of my fingers. But somehow the idea of coping conjured up images of hanging on. But I know you far too well you are not "just hanging on" so I had to dig deeper into the meaning of coping. I got to thinking about the concept of coping in reference to Crown Molding. I started to imagine coping as being like finishing nails. If left in the jar on the self theyíre of little use. When I take them out and pile them on the work bench they may seem disorganized and of no value. But when I take these finishing nails and gently tap them into the pre-drilled holes in the crown molding their worth is evident. These little nails of coping become the silent - out of sight fasteners that connects the molding onto its rightful place. To just nail through the board without pre-drilling or thought, one will likely crack the board. Done with training and imagination the results of coping can be marvelous some might even say miraculous. Thanks efm, Earlybird

Edited by earlybird (09/21/10 07:08 AM)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.