Newest Members
R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6, Johnnygolightly, Stormchaser
12318 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12318 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443118 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34036 - 01/05/06 10:33 PM Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Like it or not, I am the eternal child, hurt in his existence, still acting like a boy.

Yes, I can act like a man, but people love my boyish things that I do, I dont.

An example is when I went into the supermarket, and went to the checkout, I pulled out a banknote which was wrapped around a coin, to stop it coming out of my pocket.

As I passed it over, the woman said to me, look at the state of that banknote, then she said, "what a boy thing to do", I responded, that is what makes women love us.

I was quite amused, as she made me laugh, but it is how I am.

The trouble is, that the boy personality, is very strong in me, maybe because he was so hurt, and he never wants to let go, like the hurt is his old friend and travelling companion.

I always thank him for getting me through, and promise to make it up to him someday.

I see kids, with expensive tracksuits, and remember that I never had any clothes, except for hand downs off my older brother, so it made me the cause of laughter at school, because nothing ever fitted me.

When I see kids so happily in abandon, it is beyond me to think of this state, but I guess, I would not trade places with any of them, knowing what I know now.

Life seemed harsh, it is harsh, but somehow we always got through.

I wish I had tackled this problem in my teens, but had no way to do it, due to having to work etc., but none of us should have had to, we should be compensated for abuse, and given the best treatment free, and free drugs.

ste

#34037 - 01/05/06 11:18 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ste,

Something I'm trying to do when I get the chance is let Little D come out and play every now and then.

I have some colored pencils and a sketch pad- I used to love to draw when I was a kid. I was never any good at it, though, but that doesn't matter. I'm reading favorite books I had as a kid, eating old favorite foods... doing anything I can think of that I used to enjoy as a kid, to let that part of me out, to help him understand that it's safe to be a kid, now that I'm here to protect him.

I wish I could have done something about this years ago, but I didn't realize what had happened. I know now, so now is when I have to deal.

There are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

#34038 - 01/05/06 11:28 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dewey,

I have got a big chest full of paint and stuff to work with, but I never get down to relaxing these days.

I have done some painting, but need to do some more, maybe in the spring, and let his creative side come out.

It is good to get the creative side going, and see what expression comes out, I live by the sea, so there is plenty of scope for me there.

take care,

ste

#34039 - 01/05/06 11:30 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Andrew Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Ste,
I think there is a part of us that never grows up and remains a child, this is probably true of non abused people too. I know I just love running and jumping into piles of raked leaves in the autumn.
It gives me great delight, and I also like picking up a hockey stick and nearly having a heart attack trying to keep up with the 9 yo and 12 yo kids in the neighborhood in a game of road hockey.

I know what you mean about the kids with designer clothes etc. My kids included. Our economy and value system is very different than when I was a kid. I remember my Dad taking us for drives by the airport so we could watch the jet planes land, they were new in those days, that was entertainment for us, and as a special treat,my brother and I would get a bottle of pop and a bag of chips, this happened about once every 5 or 6 weeks and we thought it was awesomely wonderful! This is a far cry from the material world of my own kids! I don't recall that we were less happy because we didn't have MP3 players and Reebok hats. I do remember that all of us kids were more creative with our play time, lots of hide'n go seek and front yard football and building forts.
As I write this I am reminded that my childhood was very normal in many respects, the SA only being a part of it.
Peace, Andrew

#34040 - 01/05/06 11:45 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrew,

I guess I am the same, playing ball with the kids takes it out on me, but they say I am still good at curling the ball through the wind, like a skill I never forgot.

There were times in my childhood that were terrific, but also some very sad times, where I did not want to be a boy, no way.

I guess it was all the trouble I caused, even though I never knew how, but I also guess it was being silent that did it for me, I thought my parents were going to send me to a home.

Yes, my dad meant it, even though, I was not so bad as a kid, but seeing what kids go through now, it is not hard to see why, when your parents see you as some kid they once knew, who they lost track of.

I probably looked like something waiting to bubble over, maybe it was like ADHD, I dunno,

ste

#34041 - 01/06/06 03:09 AM Re: Eternal childhood
Dominic Offline

Loc: Dallas
I had to work really hard to get in touch with my little boy. Fear and safety was the big issue. Dewey2k what you said applies for me. It is exactly how I have felt. It was the hardest for me to get in touch with him because he was afraid that it was not safe. One day I felt a strong urge to go and buy some toys. I realizes as a kid I always wanted some play doo and never had it. So I went to the toy store and bought that, and some bubbles, and a couple of other things I can not recall at the moment.

I was very busy but I made my self sit down and play. It was very nuturing to my little boy. It only took a few times doing that and then I had had enough and my recovery went onto the next step. So now I work very hard to be very aware of what my little boy wants. It is important I think to nuture him because of the abuse. It helped me a lot and continues to do so.

It is a great thing to be in touch with him.

#34042 - 01/06/06 05:19 AM Re: Eternal childhood
Andrew Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
There were times in my childhood that were terrific, but also some very sad times, where I did not want to be a boy, no way.
This resonates with me. I can still remember walking home from work as a 17 yo. I was attending school and living with a family as a boarder and working about 30 - 35 hrs a week at about 95 cents per hour! I remember feeling like a complete wreck. My elbow was broken and hadn't healed properly (my mother had refused to take me to the doctor (I had inconvenienced her by having an accident), I had a bad speech impediment, problems with my lower bowel & stomach and I kept on passing out. I thought I was the ugliest kid alive and that no one would ever want me or be interested in me. To tell the truth, I was sad that no one was looking after me. Dumb for a 17 yo, but I was exhausted and depressed. I dreamed that somehow I would be all grown-up and all that was wrong with me would be cured.

Quote:
I thought my parents were going to send me to a home.
My parents (Mom) were always threatening to throw me out of the house. I never felt secure. Ironically, the school social worker intervened and told me to find somewhere else to live or they would put me into 'care'. So I went to live with a family whose lawn I used to cut and who had befriended me. I was very lucky to know them and they were amazingly good to me. So in the end, my Mom never got the chance to make good on her threats.

Funny thing, over Christmas she was telling stories about me to my nephew's fiancee. The stories were taking huge liberties with the truth and romanticizing so much of what happened. I felt myself getting annoyed, almost verging on anger. Then I looked at the frail little old lady sitting on the couch and just smiled. I decided that she's probably behaving and trying to be the best that she can be. Gawd help us, it really is the best that she can be. And there is nothing I can do to change her. All I can do is change the way I react to her. Peace, Andrew P.S. sorry for rambling on.

#34043 - 01/06/06 06:28 AM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrew and Dominic, I echo your replies, I sure get the same picture when I look at my life.

It is like living in some dream that is not quite real, the boy in me just yearns to be loved, but no way he can let it happen.

I went to the supermarket, and as usual, I went down the aisle of toys and I too was staring at some doh, but it cost too much.

I just thought! What could I do with that!
Then I snapped out of it, and continued shopping.

I guess it is like a strong urge to just want to start life over as a boy again, and learn from that point in time.

What a thought! But I guess maybe it is the best way of tackling it, by going back and making things safe, because I never really can feel safe in my life.

The boy in me, felt that the world was not safe, and he does not think it is right now, with all the things that go on, and thinking he is part of the tragedy of the world.

My mind seems to always dote on the cruelty of people, and how they just take what they can get, and nobody can get in their way of taking it.

I just want the world to be a safe place to live in, where we can be friendly and caring without feeling scared.

Maybe, one day it will happen, I guess not, it was only a dream,

ste

#34044 - 01/06/06 09:03 AM Re: Eternal childhood
Kid A Offline

Sometimes I feel myself hating the boy within me, saying things like, "why were you so weird or get that stupid fake smile off your face," but I'm starting to realize its not his fault. He responded the best way he knew how and it makes me feel so sad when I realize that I'm still being cruel to this scared and helpless little boy inside me. I've made a promise not to be mean to him anymore, but sometimes its hard to break bad habbits. The little boy inside me still has a hard time believing any of this happened. I'm trying hard to show him a goodtime now. I bought a super-high bouncy ball for a quarter today and was tempted to throw it off the top of a tall building, but I think it would have bounced straight back through a starbucks window, leaving the adult me to face a problem he doesn't need right now.

#34045 - 01/06/06 03:13 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kid A,

I grinned with laughter at this, \:\) \:\)

Quote:
I'm trying hard to show him a goodtime now. I bought a super-high bouncy ball for a quarter today and was tempted to throw it off the top of a tall building, but I think it would have bounced straight back through a starbucks window, leaving the adult me to face a problem he doesn't need right now.
I really did need to read that, it made me feel so good.

It is good that you can get the little boy to play inside and free him.

That is the best side of this site, when we start to realise how to play again,

ste

#34046 - 01/06/06 04:20 PM Re: Eternal childhood
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Kid A, Ste,

I chuckled at this idea as well. I am always getting these fiendish ideas that seem very funny but I wouldn't dare act on them! ;\)

It just goes to show - we all still have the fun-loving kid inside and his spirit has not been snuffed out by what was done to him.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#34047 - 01/06/06 05:12 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

We bought my daughter a set of those Thomas and Friends wooden railroad tracks for her birthday in May last year. They asked me to set up a track for them, but there wasn't enough track to do anything interesting.

What does Little D do? He tells Big D to get in the car, drive to the toy store, and get more track. In fact, the two of us went just a little overboard. :rolleyes: We have enough track to cover an entire sheet of plywood in a complex interconnected pattern complete with elevated portions, tunnels and buildings. And the fun part is it gets built up and torn down every time we use it because we don't have enough room to leave it set up, so we get to use our imagination to come up with a layout. \:D

Big D got in trouble, but it made Little D happy, so it was worth it.

PS: I think my next purchase is going to be a big set of Legos. \:D

#34048 - 01/06/06 07:53 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

I love those art programs aimed really at kids.
I start making papier mache, and paint stuff etc., its messy, but that is part of it.

I suppose it is the little me doing these things, but it is very therapeutic.

Little ste would love to play in mud, but I guess they would lock him up, that is all he needs.

ste :p

#34049 - 01/06/06 10:38 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dominic Offline

OMG, I so have that devlish side to me. I had to be careful not to act on that, but it is soooooo tempting. I am smiling as I think of letting that side come out. Dewey2k you made me laugh reading your posting. It was cute.

You know my little one really wants to learn to play a musical instrument. I really would like to do that but have not taken the initiative to move forward with it. I think i need to.

Reality2k4 if you need some doh I will sent it to you free of charge. I am not using mine anymore and it would be my pleasure to send it to you.

I think part of recovery is realizing that we are safe as adults. We tend to be stuck in the childhood preception and belief patterns because of the trauma. It is such a hard thing to change but not impossible. I am slowly realizing that I can say no and I am in control and not feel bad about it. People are being to look at me funny when I do it so sometimes I just say it to say it. That is part of the devil in me. It gets easier everytime. \:\)

#34050 - 01/06/06 11:05 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

When I started this thread, I did not really know it would go this way, as the title suggests.

You guys have awakened my mind to realise what it really was to be a boy.

From the innocent tenderness to the devilish but still cute, who could not like him parts, but this is how we were.

I remember being infectious to adults as a child, even though he was hurting, its a boy thing that I could never put my finger on.

I remember staring in awe at a candyfloss machine, just wondering how it made candyfloss out of a teaspoon of sugar, still working on that one.

Cheeky smiles get you anywhere when you are a boy, as does looking so innocent, even when you have just put a ball through next doors window.

Thanks for the input, it really makes me think of who this little boy is, and make him happy,

ste

#34051 - 01/07/06 03:21 PM Re: Eternal childhood
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Ste,

So much in this thread is so uplifting and empowering, but I especially liked this phrase of yours:

Quote:
Cheeky smiles get you anywhere when you are a boy, as does looking so innocent, even when you have just put a ball through next doors window.
My son, now 21, STILL has that art. \:\) I got a shocker in the post one day: the Sky service that provides adult films billed me a fiver for a thing called "Big-Titted Sluts", so I went straight to my son for an explanation. It was amazing! He had a perfect excuse and absolutely denied having anything to do with the bill: "Why do you think it was ME!!!! ", something like that.

Then I thought, wait a minute:

1) He had been drinking with friends that night.

2) They all came over afterwards and were arsing about in the conservatory, where the TV lives.

3) Alternative culprits: a) my wife, b) my daughter, c) the dog.

So I suggested that so long as a fiver was on the dining room table in the morning, everything would be cool.

My son was innocent of course. There was a fiver there for me in the morning, so I guess the table was the one who booked the film.

These scenes should be considered for the Academy Awards. ;\)

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#34052 - 01/07/06 05:11 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dominic Offline

Reading theses posts makes me wish we were all together so we could play and get into some boysish trouble.

#34053 - 01/07/06 07:18 PM Re: Eternal childhood
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys,

I have so enjoyed this thread. Awesome food for thought and fun here.

Perhaps we could all go to the 2006 conference and they would provide us this great big room where we could do all that boy stuff you've talked about, plus I'm sure between the kid in you and the kid in me we could really get up to some mischief. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

\:D \:D \:D

Lots of love,

John

#34054 - 01/07/06 08:37 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

John,

hmmm, dont think that would be such a good idea.

The place would be wrecked knowing some of the guys in here. \:\)

Not to mention me \:D

#34055 - 01/07/06 08:41 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Who? ME??!! :p

#34056 - 01/07/06 10:20 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dewey,

looking at the little guy you posted in images, I guess you were pretty much a live wire at times \:\)

That cheeky grin says it all ;\)

Me and my younger brother are both like kids when we get together, trying to outwit each other with speed of jokes.

If we are together, friends have no chance, they cannot meet the speed of wit we can throw at them.

The beauty of it is, we can make fun of each other, without animosity \:\)

My older brother is a grouch, and I can guess why, because he never got to know us as kids, when he mentally abused us, :p

ste

#34057 - 01/07/06 11:02 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah, I gave my parents a hard time as a tyke, always getting into things, tearing things apart to see how they worked, and asking all sorts of questions. They called me the little professor because I constantly surprised them with what I knew. :rolleyes:

#34058 - 01/07/06 11:19 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I hope we can keep this thread going, as it is therapeutic, even though I did not know that when I started it.

I guess it is because I always think like a naive boy outside, and funnily enough, I am not so shy, even though deep down I am.

I guess my mind is stuck at about 14yo, because it was a time that I guessed my childhood was coming to an end, without really having one.

I guess we still have the ability to express ourselves as the boys' we were, all those years ago, and there is a way of finding him, and letting him be who he wants to be.

I too was the little professor in the family, and goofing about for attention, but guess the attention need, was a little too much.

Some time ago, I watched two boys at checkouts in a supermarket, each with their dads, one boy looked to the other, the other looked back, the first boy gave a big smile, and I thought, yes, that is what boyhood is about.

I just want to get to know life again, adn be like that, to make real friends by being spontaneous in life, and not feel superficial and unworthy.

ste

#34059 - 01/07/06 11:24 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

When I was 8, I started playing baseball. Up near the baseball fields was a wetlands area that began right on the other side of the home run fence. We would go back there with old mayo jars and collect tadpoles and watch them turn into frogs.

My sister hated it though. The sole reason for keep the tadpoles was so when they became frogs we could let them go in her room. \:D

#34060 - 01/07/06 11:44 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had a pet mouse, adn it was like Jaws.

It got away, crawling through the floorboards each night, you could hear it scurrying about.

My sister went crazy, even the cat could not get him, so eventually I had to wait and get him, and eventually caught him by standing on his tail.

I guess every boy wants to keep mice, just to scare the women in his family \:\)

Can't think of any other reason, can you,

ste

#34061 - 01/08/06 12:50 AM Re: Eternal childhood
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
I buy hot wheels cars - only about 84p each / $1. They stand on my stone fire place next to my set of movie monsters (Frankenstein/Dracula etc). Decor is a mix of adult / child. Also have plants called peace lilies - a sign of resurrection apparently!

Next bit may trigeer, it triggers me!

When I go to court, I have been advised to wear formal clothing (shirt/tie), but feel like wearing Iron Maiden and Judas Priest t-shirts.

My compromise is to wear shirt & tie, but I am going to scan a photograph of wide eyed, innocent little me & print it onto a t-shirt to wear under the other stuff in court. I am also going to carry a hot wheels car called 'The Judge' - keeping that in my pocket!

Best wishes ...Rik

#34062 - 01/08/06 02:17 AM Re: Eternal childhood
Dominic Offline

I like John's idea to all go to the confrence and just play! I am so game.

One of the most fun and funniest things I loved doing as a boy was scaring people. I used to hide, when I heard someone coming down the stairs or up the stairs and jump out and scare them! Gosh I had forgotten how I used to do that. I would be laughing my ass off. It was so funny. I had so much fun doing that. Of course I did get in trouble a couple of times but it was worth it!

My poor grandmother, I loved her a lot but my devlish side would come out with her too. She did not like balloons. She was always afraid of them popping and she did not like it when they did. So occasionally I would get one and either pop it or pretend to pop it. She did not like me much afterwards but I got a real kick out of it. I am laughing just writing these two stories.

OMG! Ice cream. I loved it as a kid and still do. Loved ice cream sandwiches, pushups, and the creamcicles. They were heavenly!

#34063 - 01/08/06 02:41 AM Re: Eternal childhood
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Dominic you are funny, your poor Grandmother!!!

Ice cream yeah, I had mint pattys closest thing now is at dariy queen mint dilly bars.

good thing there are good things too for childhood

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#34064 - 01/08/06 11:40 AM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dominic,

that is funny, the things you said are just the same as I did.

I guess it was attention seeking, or that is how my father and mom saw it.

I still do it now, when my aunt comes, she takes over TV, to watch all the soaps, but I have a spare remote, so I can turn over when not in the room.

She told me the TV is broke, but it was me all the time, she soon found out \:\)

I had absolutely no sense of danger as a kid, I dont even now, which can be a danger, as I do not sense it.

I guess my child like oddities will always be there,

ste

#34065 - 01/08/06 07:20 PM Re: Eternal childhood
Dominic Offline

I really love that part of my little boy. That little devilish side. To this day I am still a little like that and want to be more so. I tend to play a lot at work (but I get my job done) and I have a lot of fun.

I just finished watching the Fantastic 4. Has anyone seen that? Gosh I love movies like that. It reminds me of being a boy and wanting to be a superheroe or have super powers! Gosh I always wanted to be Wonder Woman! I am laughing my ass of right now telling you that. That is likely more a gay thing but I had to share. My second choice was Green Lanter. He was the coolest. I though that ring was the greatest. I wanted one just like it!

#34066 - 01/08/06 11:02 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The little devil thing, or cheeky boy look, is what people love, or hate.

I can be very spontaneous with people, and make them laugh, but the best thing to them is, I never show anger, nor what I really am feeling, and sometimes I am laughing thru hurt.

I guess I learned that a long time ago,

ste

#34067 - 01/09/06 01:25 AM Re: Eternal childhood
applefish Offline

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Sometimes I feel worried about being stuck as a child - a safe little world of cartoons and comic books and video games. I relate to being a child too much. I think as a child I stole myself away from the world and had a small little creative universe just for myself, fearing that the outside world would just abuse me which of course was sometimes the truth. But what I really needed was compassion and love which just wasn't there for me so I have stayed in this (safe) little world of mine ever since. The bad news is I can't relate to adults and the adult world, the good news I can totally relate to kid's world. I guess what I am trying to say is I do give my inner child a lot of play time but I end up feeling stuck in this world of fear and defenselesness. It feels very sad and lonely.

je

#34068 - 01/09/06 09:09 PM Re: Eternal childhood
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

je,

I think you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think we all try to be that kid, in his world of safety, adults do not portray safety, but kids do.

I can relate so easy to kids, their smiles are infectious, and it lightens my soul to see how happy they are.

I also see kids, who are growing up rough, who swear at others and cause fights, I have to think to myself! What happened to their upbringing.

I dont need to tell you what I think!

Look after your inner child, as you cannot just drop the past without therapy,

ste

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.