Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (woodenshoes, dan_in_newengland, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444180 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#340137 - 09/12/10 11:30 PM Have you ever worked the night shift?
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
The Graveyard shift 11pm-7am?? I just got a job and starting in January I'll be working 11pm-730am. Just wanted to have somebody to talk to who has experienced this. Hope I won't be working it for long.

Thanx
Jason

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#340144 - 09/13/10 09:23 AM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: onlyakid]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I worked that shift for a few weeks back in 1985. It's not great, but it's a paycheck. I was living with my parents at the time so it was a bit tough trying to sleep during the day.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#340148 - 09/13/10 10:06 AM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: FormerTexan]
kidneythis Offline

I have and never liked it as my body never adjusted. If you can start sleeping during the day and staying up at night for as long prior to the start of the job as you can. Watch your nutrition.
Good Luck

#340158 - 09/13/10 12:29 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: onlyakid]
jls Offline

I did graveyard shifts for a long time, like you 11 PM to 7 AM, up until the end of last year when I was able to switch to a different rotation within the organization I work for. I just couldn’t handle them anymore. Actually I should qualify that – I could handle working the shifts without issue. Instead it was sleeping during the day that was a problem for me. I’d go to bed soon after I got home and fall straight to sleep no problem but then would be wide awake 2 hours later. By my Friday I’d have less than 20 hours sleep for the entire week, which needless to say made me feel like a basket case. Anyways despite this my advice to you is try it out. I have some colleagues who do all overnights just fine and it doesn’t seem to affect them negatively so I guess it’s an individual thing. JS

#340167 - 09/13/10 02:54 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: jls]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
In my college days I worked at summer as a train guide. That was the night shift. I slept during the day. What I can say it is hardd physically, but the good is that there is no one who would bother you. During the day work I am constantly being in focus of someone who wants to communicate.

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#340182 - 09/13/10 10:45 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: alexey]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I never actually had a job that was officially a night shift. However in the winter time I am a snowplow driver which will entail not only working in the wee hours of the night but pulling 20 plus hour shifts. When asked how I do it I reply I just don't think about it. Believe me it sucks to be working at 4am but the more you dwell on it the more it sucks, just think about something else. After working 20 hours, every blink feels like a work out, so if you sit there thinking about how tired you are then you are destined to fall asleep, but if you just concentrate on your work then it doesn't suck as much.

By the way, congrats on the new job.

#340183 - 09/13/10 10:46 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: alexey]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Double post, my bad

Edited by Riley (09/13/10 10:46 PM)

#340190 - 09/13/10 11:37 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: Riley]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I worked night shift for a while in graduate school. We ran out of money and this was available. My job was to inject test solutions into a GLC (gas chromatograph = see CRI, Crime Scene Investigation). It was very lonely and spooky. But it paid our bills.

Allen

pufferfish

#340193 - 09/14/10 01:23 AM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Howdy, my brothers.

Not counting my military time. I had worked the grave yard shift at a Wall-Mart, super center.
I worked in the produce section, and i had to clean the racks that the iced down produce was on. (Lots of dirt/mud) on them.
I was alone at the time, and if i wanted an income i took those hours. One plus side to it was there was no "wheels" around to bother you. And maybe a customer or two.
I never got use to those hours and sleeping pattern.

When my wife got here, she just couldn't get used to my hours.
However it wasn't much longer as she was going back to Germany, and as soon as i sold the house i would follow.

When i got back to Germany, i got a job as custodian (janitor), in an Air Force consolidated NCO & officers club.
And most of my working hours was the grave yard shift, and there i was completely by myself. I liked it. Plus you got a bit more in your pay check, for working that shift. It was a bit spooky all sorts of noises, and i believed that there was a ghost there.

When my shift started, the night club manager was supposed to have me locked in. He was supposed to make sure that all the outside doors were secured. But there were a few times when he hadn't checked them like he was supposed to.
Well the Air Force police, always checked the buildings on base to make sure they were secured. And more than once, i would be vacuuming and someone taps me on the shoulder, i damn near poo pooed in my drawers, i usually thought that, that ghost was there. But, again there was nobody to boss me around.

Over all i didn't mind it at all.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

"I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity."
As HE is ME.

Pete..Irishmoose.

Edited by petercorbett (09/14/10 01:26 AM)
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#340229 - 09/14/10 02:38 PM Re: Have you ever worked the night shift? [Re: petercorbett]
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
I used to work this shift for security. Had two seperate posts when I worked the graveyards, but only one per night (would work three nights at one place, two nights at the other place). Wasn't too bad. The worst of it was the sleeping habits, but I was getting paid to watch movies and play video games and I was young so *shrug*.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.