Newest Members
GoodKiwi, Naeno, stillhere35, RKS, Albertus
12557 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
2dayistheday (34), 4LaurenAline2 (48), akn (61), barrington (65), Gideonfl (52), James Michael (57), Obi (44), tu (46), Vedder32 (34), yoga_mom (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (WontGiveUp, Still), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12557 Members
73 Forums
64443 Topics
450111 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340037 - 09/11/10 10:37 AM Therapy Technique
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
The most successful therapy I ever had was with my last therapist. He helped me on many levels. I see that for the first time in all the years of on and off again therapy I was finally honest with a therapist and myself.

One thing that he had me do was tell my story from a different view. I had such loathing and blame for myself being that I was 29 when I was raped. I told him of this site, he had been here before me, and how I could not see blame for others and their abuse. He asked what the difference was I honestly said I was a grown man.

He then had me do my story from the third person. I had to give the character a name and identity. Then write out my story from that view point. It helped me to see him/me in a more sympathetic light. I saw how rediculous some of the things I had put upon me were. And I saw how being a grown man did not mean that it was my fault.

I slip and slide back into blame but when I do I pull out this deal I wrote and think on it. I don't blame the guy in the story. So how can I blame me?

I hope this helps someone else.

Daryl

#340046 - 09/11/10 01:43 PM Re: Therapy Technique [Re: prisonerID]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Helps me Daryl, Thanks

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340126 - 09/12/10 09:37 PM Re: Therapy Technique [Re: earlybird]
Hex Offline

Loc: Canada
This technique has definitely helped me. I am very emotionally disconnected and minimizing of my own abuse, but when I take any given instance out or my own narrative, and ask myself "if it was anyone else who that had happened to..." it's a lot easier to identify the experience as abuse.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.