Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (BuffaloCO, Banjo596, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64200 Topics
448013 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340118 - 09/12/10 05:17 PM Do any TV shows get to you?
kidneythis Offline

I find that watching Men of a Certain Age upsets me. It makes me feel old and as if my life was wasted. I can empirically understand this isn't true but I still feel bad and question myself. I was only able to watch one and a half episodes online and I had to turn it off.
When I am like this I can't seem to feel the pride I should for having dealt with all my problems as well as I have.

Anyone else?

#340119 - 09/12/10 06:15 PM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: kidneythis]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I like crime shows but Criminal Minds gets a bit too intense for me. I do not watch it very much.

#340192 - 09/14/10 01:14 AM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: prisonerID]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Malcom in the Middle can get to me sometimes - some of the situations hit very close to the way things where in the house I was raised in

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#340205 - 09/14/10 10:15 AM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: kidneythis]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

kidneythis, I am curious what it is about "Men of a Certain Age" that is upsetting. I have not seen the show (only previews).
What about it makes you "feel old" and as if your life were "wasted"?

#340208 - 09/14/10 10:46 AM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: EvanCan]
kidneythis Offline

I'm not sure actually. it might have been the day and how I was feeling anyway but I don't think so.

It's more of the Zeitgeist of the show that made me feel this way. And comparing myself to the characters who seem pretty much what normal men who weren't sidetracked by abuse would be. What I should be.

#340242 - 09/14/10 06:27 PM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: kidneythis]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I resonate with what you said about comparing myself to "what normal men who weren't sidetracked by abuse would be."
I can really be hard on myself about that. And feel very very sorry for myself about having "missed out" on that.
But then sometimes -- and admittedly it is only sometimes -- I can appreciate (almost love) the unique person that is me, that is the sum of all my parts, both good and bad. And sometimes that's ok.
Thank you for sharing this.

#340485 - 09/19/10 07:12 PM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: EvanCan]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would say "CSI Special Victims Unit". A lot has to do with CSA or adult sexual abuse. I watched ONE and that was enough. Cried for about a half an hour.

#340869 - 09/26/10 02:14 PM Re: Do any TV shows get to you? [Re: alan55]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
I will have to look up Men of A Certain Age because it hasn't been imported to the UK yet.

I enjoy Family Guy in every other respect, but after nine seasons and what, ten years on air including the cancellations I just think the paedophile character is bordering on making light of child abuse.

It does not get to me per se, it's just that when it takes its "Laugh At The Nazi in WWII" approach to paedophiles, and implies they are all old strangers which is just too 80s, I just think the show's part of the problem in putting out that myth and calling it comedy.

From what I've seen he doesn't even get the surreal comedy burnings/hit by cars/broken bones/accidents of any of the main characters (yet). I suppose there won't be any scenes of him getting any comeuppance until the third cancellation or the movie.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.