Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (MissesMe, AdawgJR, manipulated), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64165 Topics
447757 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#340037 - 09/11/10 10:37 AM Therapy Technique
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
The most successful therapy I ever had was with my last therapist. He helped me on many levels. I see that for the first time in all the years of on and off again therapy I was finally honest with a therapist and myself.

One thing that he had me do was tell my story from a different view. I had such loathing and blame for myself being that I was 29 when I was raped. I told him of this site, he had been here before me, and how I could not see blame for others and their abuse. He asked what the difference was I honestly said I was a grown man.

He then had me do my story from the third person. I had to give the character a name and identity. Then write out my story from that view point. It helped me to see him/me in a more sympathetic light. I saw how rediculous some of the things I had put upon me were. And I saw how being a grown man did not mean that it was my fault.

I slip and slide back into blame but when I do I pull out this deal I wrote and think on it. I don't blame the guy in the story. So how can I blame me?

I hope this helps someone else.

Daryl

#340046 - 09/11/10 01:43 PM Re: Therapy Technique [Re: prisonerID]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Helps me Daryl, Thanks

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#340126 - 09/12/10 09:37 PM Re: Therapy Technique [Re: earlybird]
Hex Offline

Loc: Canada
This technique has definitely helped me. I am very emotionally disconnected and minimizing of my own abuse, but when I take any given instance out or my own narrative, and ask myself "if it was anyone else who that had happened to..." it's a lot easier to identify the experience as abuse.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.