Newest Members
DavidM-LT, lmarsden, Raysn226, 20;1;14;5., Talman
12772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (34), korbin2003 (40), Rosemary (54), Zebra (48)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 16 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12772 Members
75 Forums
65787 Topics
460142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#422326 - 01/17/13 12:15 AM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
sallyjoseph Offline

Great post really interesting.
thanks Ken Mike13

#423829 - 01/31/13 03:02 AM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Andreu Offline

Its really a nice post and very informative. Self care is important and everyone should read this post. Thanks for this sharing.

#470121 - 09/16/14 06:12 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
lostc Offline

I was pointed to this recently which I also found very similar and helpful: https://rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-recovery/self-care-for-survivors

#474700 - 01/08/15 12:22 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: lostc]
TheGreatWhat Offline

"Be wary of: friends or family who only call when they need something."

That is taken from the article found at the above rainn.org link.

I think I may be exhibiting this type of behavior. So, when is the "right" time to reach out in a moment of need, if this feels like something that is a borderline pervasive quality and not just an occasional occurrence? I know that this has not always been the case, even after the abuse, because I can remember a time in my life when I sought out the company of good friends just for the sake of having fun. But lately, and I mean in the last few years or so, most of the interactions that I seek out seem to have "let's talk about my/our problems" somewhere in there. And I'm aware that that motivation is present; it's not like it only hits me after the fact. Honestly, I understand it as a healthy thing - expressing oneself. It just so happens that what I have felt mostly for a long time are feelings of loneliness, patheticness, and fear. I do have days or periods of "clarity" during which I seem to have access to an objectivity that eludes me when I am down. (Just trying to present an accurate representation as best I can in this moment.)

In addition, the reasons or rationals I mostly find myself agreeing with regarding my only calling/seeking out someone when I need something, is I don't want to be a burden to others or nurture what I feel to be a disposition towards co-dependency in myself.

I'm not sure if this needs to be wrapped up with a summarizing question, but I seem to have lost my train of thought, so I'll just stop there.

- TheGreatWhat

#474739 - 01/08/15 11:17 PM Re: Self-Care [Re: TheGreatWhat]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Originally Posted By: TheGreatWhat
I can remember a time in my life when I sought out the company of good friends just for the sake of having fun. But lately, and I mean in the last few years or so, most of the interactions that I seek out seem to have "let's talk about my/our problems" somewhere in there. And I'm aware that that motivation is present; it's not like it only hits me after the fact.

I realize this very thing too. I attribute it to being jaded and having given up on the value of these relationships and interactions. But I'm right there with you on this.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.