Newest Members
brightheart, Hank2, Severe stammer, Jeff B., Aquarian
12838 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
CFVB (47), cjmofwp (60), direstraitu (43), greg64 (51), Jonah (46), Kary (55), MittensxonxKit (24), proteus (40), Stargazer (43), steel (45), Tanis2105 (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12838 Members
75 Forums
66380 Topics
463860 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Topic Options
#339579 - 09/04/10 05:31 PM Not cutting, but...
Silly Offline

Loc: Virginia
When I was younger I was a more active cutter...I've since (nearly) stopped...well, it's rare anyways. Recently though I've been doing something very similar. I have a few places that I won't let heal. I let them close, then dig at them over and over...I don't want them to heal. They keep me connected to certain feelings...

The Round Table, Men's Sexual Abuse Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#339583 - 09/04/10 06:41 PM Re: Not cutting, but... [Re: Silly]
pufferfish Offline

Loc: USA

I like your website. It is very constructive with a necessary message.

I've never been a "cutter". I have been a "scratcher". I started it mostly after my amnesia lapsed. I also developed a vitamin B12 deficiency which makes the skin itch and makes a person want to scratch. I've gotten over it now but I have sporadic attacks about twice per month for some unknown reason.

#339592 - 09/04/10 08:57 PM Re: Not cutting, but... [Re: pufferfish]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ

I'm sure I don't have to go on about the devastating effects of self-injury on you & the people you love. Scratching is less severe but still s/i. Is there any other way you can connect with these feelings? Maybe write them down or share them with a friend?

That being said, I know how hard it is & I'm sorry you're going through so much pain right now. My wife & I have been to hell & back with her cutting and she still relapses. If you need anything I'm around.

“If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must close his eyes and walk in the dark.”

- Saint John of the Cross

#339661 - 09/05/10 08:47 PM Re: Not cutting, but... [Re: CruxFidelis]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Hi Silly,

As I understand it, some people cut as a way of diverting themselves from having to think about the pain of the past since their mind is actively focused on the pain of the cut. It's a substitution type of pain. Have you spoken with a therapist about it to see what you can do to try to minimize that type of coping mechanism? And do you see a pattern of when you seem to fall back into that? Breaking that cycle can be hard, but if you can see when it starts, then you're well ahead of things.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.