Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
3 registered (Hopein14, 86, lapchinj), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63171 Topics
441739 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#339330 - 08/31/10 06:28 PM Frustrated
jls Offline

I've been trying to start the process to enter treatment for my alcohol problem for more than a month now and it feels I'm getting nowhere. I go to one agency to get an assessment done and they say don't come to us, call this person, who in turn tells me to return to the first agency I went to, and on and on it goes. I understand that there is red tape and hoops to jump thru with anything big like this but its getting ridiculous. I'm someone who works in the social service field so I'm not naive when it comes to this kind of stuff but I wish I could be cut a break already, at least to feel like the process is moving forward. JS

#339395 - 09/01/10 12:02 PM Re: Frustrated [Re: jls]
kidneythis Offline

I suggest you try AA meetings until you get past the bureaucracy of the treatment programs. Heck you might find something that works there and save the money. I think a Big Book is about $7.50 nowadays.

#339500 - 09/02/10 05:22 PM Re: Frustrated [Re: kidneythis]
jls Offline

I've never been a fan of AA but I'm not saying that I won't utilize them. Like they say, take what you need and leave the rest, so long as it helps one not to drink. That said, I need a complete life overall right now, one free from work and other responsibilities (which I have alot of) in order to find myself and my life path without alcohol or external triggers in the picture so going to treatment is important in this regard. Also, recognizing the reasons behind my need to drink is a priority so I hope that treatment will help provide that. JS

#339574 - 09/04/10 11:11 AM Re: Frustrated [Re: jls]
kidneythis Offline

It takes a while and a variety of meetings to find the right one. Finding the meetings where the regulars are long term sober and people committing self therapy with their time to speak are few will let you see more of the workings of the thing rather than the whiny talk so many complain about. Weekends are best for this, Sundays mainly, but I think it may be different depending on where you live. I just think weekends are best for finding more long term sober people since they are off work and they don't need to go everyday.
Over time you come to realize that those whiners are doing the best that they can. It became less irksome after I started the steps.

Good Luck man

Edited by kidneythis (09/04/10 11:12 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.