Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
5 registered (aniceguy, Mr. Malaise, Greg56, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443342 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#338279 - 08/14/10 01:09 AM Fun with Guns
jls Offline

Hi everyone. A friend of mine at work has a hunting camp whom he's invited me and a few others to. While it isn't hunting season yet where I am I asked it we could go up there one weekend soon just to blast away at cans, bottles, paper targets etc, which he is down with. I'm so excited to go. I don't own any guns but he and a couple of others do, which they are willing to let me use, providing that I pay for my own ammo. I haven't used a firearm since I was in the military so I'm curious to know if I've still got it haha. I've never fired a weapon made for civilian purposes so that in itself should be interesting. I'm in Canada so handguns and automatic rifles are out of the question but it should be fun all the same:)

#338299 - 08/14/10 01:28 PM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: jls]
GoFigure12 Offline

Loc: USA
A good day of shooting can be a GREAT stress relief! I think most rural guys know that shooting can be a great activity for friends and for families. Most "city folks" & liberals seem to think of guns & shooting only as it relates to Bambi-killers, gang members, murderers and rednecks.... but those of us who grew up shooting in the woods know better. Have fun.

#338315 - 08/14/10 05:04 PM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: GoFigure12]
jls Offline

I guess I'm a bit of an anomaly since I have always been a city dweller and hold left of center political views yet I have always enjoyed guns. The way I see it guns in themselves are not bad. Rather, its how they are handled and for what purpose they are used. I don't see using firearms for recreational purposes as any different than riding ATVs or going boating. So long as one is properly trained on the equipment and behaves responsibly while operating it then I can't see why there would be a problem with it. That said, I don't believe everyone should have access to firearms, anymore than one has an automatic right to drive a car. Failure to excercise responsibility when using something powerful that has the potential to inflict lethal force should limit some people's priviledges in my opinion. JS

#338317 - 08/14/10 05:51 PM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: jls]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I own two, civilian M-9 and an AR-15(civilian M16-A2), I went with a group out to a range a few months ago. My friends knew I was okay to have them but the guys who barely knew me had some iffy faces until I showed them I was still a marksman. Some of them didn't believe I was ever on active duty, much less a Marine, until they saw me in action. I make people nervous no matter what my expertise, I can't change my circumstances.

Yes they can be fun.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#338334 - 08/15/10 01:20 AM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: usmc97]
jls Offline

I'm not familiar with the M-9 but here in Canada we use a version of the M-16 in our infantry. We call it the C-7, which is the automatic equivalant of an AR-15. NATO compliance rules dictated that we adopt it in the late 1980's. Before then we were using the old FN, which is what I trained on. JS

#339162 - 08/29/10 12:13 AM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: usmc97]
jls Offline

This looks awesome! Too bad I'm in Canada. Pity:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYzH9BBiinM&feature=player_embedded

#339163 - 08/29/10 12:30 AM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: jls]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
OK, THAT IS FUN:)

What is good to see is several safety controls, unlike certain Connecticut folks, all the boys firing automatic weapons had an adult with their hands on the weapon and boy to ensure safety.

Brings back some fond memories of shooting different weapons, mostly in the Army. I also remember shooting with my son and nephew and loading all of the magazines and lighting up a single target that my nephew had failed to hit prior to some tutoring. OK, we hit it a whole lot.

It is also true that teaching good handling techniques made a difference. Its good to see people just enjoy guns. Before I die, I want to shoot an AA12 which is a fully automatic 12 gauge shotgun with up to a 100 rd drum. It digs holes in hillsides.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#339189 - 08/29/10 06:57 PM Re: Fun with Guns [Re: catfish86]
jls Offline

Yes from the video it certainly looked like safety (including ear protection) and proper supervision of children on the range was a priority, as it should be. It痴 unfortunate that so many stereotypes exist regarding people who enjoy using firearms, and that politics have to become part of it. For example, when I say too bad that I am in Canada it doesn't mean that I don't support most of our gun control laws (with the exception of our long gun registry, which I think is a ridiculous waste of taxpayers money spent on harassing law abiding gun owners where the problem doesn't lie). Instead, I wish that but for the actions of a handful of people with malicious intentions that the majority of citizens here at home weren't prohibited from operating the firearms shown in the video simply for recreational purposes. JS

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.