Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (manipulated, traveler), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448046 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#339150 - 08/28/10 05:04 PM Another church coverup
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Belgian cardinal offered to hush up sex caseAdvertisement |
updated 8/28/2010 12:00:07 PM ET

- BRUSSELS Roman Catholic Cardinal Godfried Danneels of Belgium offered to keep a sexual molestation case against a bishop secret until the bishop retired, an official said Saturday.

Toon Osaer, Danneels' spokesman, confirmed a report in Saturday's De Standaard newspaper about a secretly taped meeting that Danneels held on April 8 with Belgian Bishop Roger Vangheluwe and the bishop's sexual abuse victim.

Osaer told the VRT television and radio network that Danneels told the victim the case against Vangheluwe could be kept quiet until the bishop retired as scheduled a year later.

In the end, Vangheluwe resigned two weeks after the meeting, expressing sorrow for having abused the victim as a youngster for years, both while serving as a priest and a bishop.

Danneels retired as head of the Belgian Catholic church in January. But police later questioned him as a potential witness in the case and raided his home and office, confiscating documents and a personal computer.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

#339153 - 08/28/10 08:36 PM Re: Another church coverup [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
john22 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Europe-Belgium
I don't agree with this article.

Osaer never said that Danneels told that to the victim. It's true there was a meeting where he was an attendee of, but what he said or didn't said is never fully disclosed. The press only gave us parts of what was recorded. So it should be handled with more care then just copy paste what the press releases.

I'm fully aware that there is/was an (attempt to) cover-up sexual abuse cases by catholic priests in Belgium. But I'm also aware of the fact that it's more then likely that the justice department wants a scapegoat for their non-actions for the last decades. It was not retired archbishop Danneels who abused the children.

And what I resent the most on whole this case is that pressreleases are always the result of there search for sensation. I don't see them supporting survivors (victims).

Maybe I drive this too far, I just couldn't let it go by.

John22

#339176 - 08/29/10 11:56 AM Re: Another church coverup [Re: john22]
kidneythis Offline

Originally Posted By: john22
I don't agree with this article.

Osaer never said that Danneels told that to the victim. It's true there was a meeting where he was an attendee of, but what he said or didn't said is never fully disclosed. The press only gave us parts of what was recorded. So it should be handled with more care then just copy paste what the press releases.
Unless you are a priest or bishop in this parish or Osaer himself you cannot know that. All reports are based on investigation and relaying information. We aren't reporting here so much as relaying what we find in papers. If this report is wrong get them to make a retraction. The press didn't report on the recording they reported on what the bishops assistant told them.

I'm fully aware that there is/was an (attempt to) cover-up sexual abuse cases by catholic priests in Belgium. But I'm also aware of the fact that it's more then likely that the justice department wants a scapegoat for their non-actions for the last decades. It was not retired archbishop Danneels who abused the children.
I guess you mean the Belgian justice department. If I were to bet on it I'd say the bishop's home and personal effects wer raided to look for more evidence of his arranging these kinds of coverups.
And what I resent the most on whole this case that pressreleases are always the result of there search for sensation. I don't see them supporting survivors (victims).

Maybe I drive this too far, I just couldn't let it go by.

John22

Maybe you see the article as it was intended and I am missing the point but you haven't gone to far you must speak up when such things bother you.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.