Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, Jude, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#339145 - 08/28/10 03:24 PM You Can't Make Me
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I saw this morning that someone had posted a link to a song that I really like. It is Bonnie Rait's "I Can't Make You Love Me". This song has always brought on a little melancholy for me for several reasons. One reason being gay I have never felt completely accepted by many in my family and others. Another reason being that since my assault I have felt out of sync with others - especially in various relationships.

For some reason I saw the song differently. It is true I cannot force acceptance from another concerning my sexuality. And I cannot squeeze understanding from those who believe men cannot be raped.

But the sword cuts both ways. I have freedom and liberty in who I allow in my life and I can reserve my love for those who would offer positve rather than negative influence for me.

This is my body. No one else's. When I got my first tattoo it was my declaration that this body belonged to me again. I guess you could say I branded myself. The symbol meant friend and I was referring to me and not another person. After years of warring with myself I was seeking peace with my past self - the one who was assaulted. I am still working on that.

This morning I sang "you can't make me love you if I don't, you can't make my heart feel something it won't". I do not think I have ever sounded better.

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (08/28/10 04:19 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#339164 - 08/29/10 01:22 AM Re: You Can't Make Me [Re: prisonerID]
jurek Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Thanks for making me smile.

Jurek ogorek, kielbasa i sznurek, kielbasa uciekla, Jurek do piekla!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.