Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (L84), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64151 Topics
447621 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#339097 - 08/27/10 05:43 PM [TRIGGER WARNING] Medical exam
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
So, after thinking about it off and on for the past few years, I finally went in to the clinic to get..."the back door" examined. I've had pain come and go back there and finally had the courage to get it checked out.
So I went in yesterday to do it. I think the doctor mis-understood why I was there. After
getting checked in and taken to the exam room, I was told to take off everything below the waist, sit on the table, and cover myself with the sheet. Did this and felt weird. Had to keep myself from throwing my clothes on and running down the street. Doc finally came in, we talked a bit (it seemed obvious that she thought I was in there for constipation or hemerroids), then she had me lay on my side. Without getting graphic, she found scaring that she said was unexplainable if I was still a virgin. I reminded her I'm a rape survivor and asked if the scars could be a result from that. She said that was the only explanation she could think of. So...ya. Not exactly the brightest doctor but I got what I was looking for...I am feeling someting that is really there and not some phantom pain. Which, in a weird way, is kinda comforting, if that makes sense.

Thank you all to those who I've talked to about this. And thanks for reading this.

#339105 - 08/27/10 09:00 PM Re: [TRIGGER WARNING] Medical exam [Re: KingFred]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hey KingFred,

That's something I need to do again as well. Sometimes I bleed down there and I've come to recognize the feeling that means I'm going to find blood.

It makes me feel a bit "Hitchcock Effect" (dissociative) so I have to reel myself back in. I think this comes from the fact that my Mum found bloody underwear after it happened and only told me about it once I was an adult. Now I think the sensation and the memories are tied together.

I sometimes get very sudden stabbing pain there, too. It's so sharp and fast that I sometime have to stifle a gasp. Somatic? Real? Either way it hurts.

I'm glad you got this checked out. I'm getting near the age where I think they'll make me have a screening colonoscopy. I'll need to be in a good place that day.

I hope you felt okay afterwards.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#339140 - 08/28/10 01:51 PM Re: [TRIGGER WARNING] Medical exam [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
There are of course a number of things that can cause bleeding from the anus. The most common condition would be hemorrhoids. Survivors tend to get IBS. There is an IBS thread in another location. IBS can contribute to hemorrhoids.

One guy who used to be frequent on the MS board had to have surgery because of damage to his rectum from abuse. The damaged tissue had to be removed. That still left him with a functional rectum.

Some people bleeding from a growth or tumor within the colon or rectum. The color and texture of the blood can give an indication of their location. These are usually easily removed by the G.I. doctor if they are caught early on. Also there is the possibility of having ulcerations within the colon. These can cause bleeding. Because survivors usually have stress in their lives that can contribute to conditions that may lead to ulcerations and bleeding.

It has taken me a long time to figure out how to communicate with doctors about having been abused. In fact I still don't really know how to do that. But it's worth trying.

Allen

pufferfish

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.