Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (skyguy, GT13568, Obi), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64170 Topics
447792 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#338597 - 08/18/10 07:52 PM What is love?
DrReid Offline

Loc: NW Arkansas
I think this is a tough one to figure out.

I love a good cheeseburger and fries and ice cream and lobster and pizza and beer. But I also love my dad. Do I love food the same way that I love family?

No. It's different. But how? How do I put that difference into words?

I think the Ancient Greeks had it right, they had different words for different types of love. Storge, Philia, Eros and Agape. They all mean love, but they are all a different type of love.

Storge - This is like natural affection. Almost always used to describe the way family feels about each other, especially the love between a parent and a child.

Philia - We get our city Philadelphia from this word. It's brotherly love, like that between friends. This sort of love does not involve passion, but loyalty, trust, and commonality. This is the most common form of the word love.

Eros - English derived it's word "erotic" from this Greek word. Does it really need an explanation? This is extreme passion, lust, desire, attraction... sensual type of love.

Agape - Modern Greeks use this word as love. But it really means true love. Real love. Unconditional love. Respectful love.

So do I agape cheeseburgers? or Eros cheeseburgers? LOL

I find this stuff fascinating. Our English language limits us so much on how we can describe our feelings. I think we can learn a lot from the Ancient Greeks.

I just finished a 12 hour shift and I am tired... but more thoughts on this later. Thanks for reading!

#338599 - 08/18/10 08:37 PM Re: What is love? [Re: DrReid]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
C. S. Lewis, in his treatise called "The Four Loves" illustrates that agape love is the kind of love that makes you willing to lay down your life for someone. True love entails giving without the expectation of getting something back, and it's focused on eternity, not fleeting with the moment. I think all 4 loves are present in my relationship in one way or another. There's definitely eros, but it's purified by agape love. But we don't just love each other... we like each other too, so there is certainly philia present. Because we've been part of each other's lives for so long, there is a certain familiarity (storge) that has transcended circumstance. All 4 of these loves have been tested in some way by my assault but I'm happy to say that it hasn't taken any of them out of the equation.

- Saint John of the Cross

#338607 - 08/18/10 10:45 PM Re: What is love? [Re: CruxFidelis]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres

my 2˘

you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.