Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
1 registered (Jay1159), 57 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64008 Topics
446738 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#338378 - 08/15/10 08:49 PM What psych diagnosis have you been assigned?
John Oarc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
I was told I have Post traumatic Stress Disorder.

After multiple attempts to type my thoughts into Google looking for the magic word to describe my feelings I found several. I think I have come up with some things that explain my behaviors but of course I am not able to make any professional diagnosis. I find things I do in several different diagnosis.

PTSD:

Info obtained from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/DS00246/DSECTION=symptoms

* Flashbacks, or reliving the traumatic event for minutes or even days at a time
* Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event

Symptoms of avoidance and emotional numbing may include:

* Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
* Feeling emotionally numb sick
* Avoiding activities you once enjoyed sick
* Hopelessness about the future sick
* Memory problems sick
* Trouble concentrating sick
* Difficulty maintaining close relationships sick

Symptoms of anxiety and increased emotional arousal may include:

* Irritability or anger sick
* Overwhelming guilt or shame confused
* Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much sick
* Trouble sleeping
* Being easily startled or frightened sick
* Hearing or seeing things that aren't there

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, different from just OCD.

Info obtained from:

http://www.healthtree.com/articles/personality-disorders/obsessive-compulsive/

OCPD and Internal Strife

From the de>

#338380 - 08/15/10 09:12 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: John Oarc]
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
I too have PTSD and am a sex addict. Never heard of OCPD but, reading the explanation of it, it sounds like I have that as well.
You are not alone John.

#338381 - 08/15/10 09:32 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: KingFred]
InsideTheWall Offline

PTSD is very common here. If I had to guess, most of us probably have it.

#338386 - 08/15/10 10:58 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: InsideTheWall]
Silly Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
MDD, PTSD, ADHD, DID/DPD (borderline MPD), HSDD

That's my list of acronyms

http://seriouslysilly67.blogspot.com/

The Round Table, Men's Sexual Abuse Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#338425 - 08/16/10 03:32 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: Silly]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my fraternal brothers.

Well, my list would be Major Clinical Depression.

I had called the (s) word hotline, and i was held for the weekend.

PTSD, and i have gone to the 12 week group therapy at a VA mental health clinic. Plus one on one T sessions.

APD too.

But my brothers, what ever diagnosis you come under, i offer you my compassion, understanding & love.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

" I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity."

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#338446 - 08/16/10 07:42 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: InsideTheWall]
jls Offline

I've seen some PTSD like behaviour in myself, namely hypervigilance, high anxiety and recurring nightmares, although I don't think I've the full range of symptoms to qualify for that diagnoses. The other thing is even if I did I can't say if it would be entirely the result of sa in my youth since there have been a number of traumatic events that I've experienced in my adult life also, although as much to do with being exposed to other people's trauma in life or death situations as my own, if this makes any sense. Anyways the one diagnoses I do have is depression. It took me years to receive treatment for it in the form of medication, which I'm glad I finally did. Meds don't make me 100% happy but they allow me to find some balance even on the worst of days, which I'm grateful for. JS

#338450 - 08/16/10 08:37 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: jls]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, let's see...

The only official diagnosis I've ever received was "Adjustment Disorder". The reason being that having a diagnosis such as depression, PTSD, or some of the other "acronyms" can have negative consequences on a person's life when it comes to job searches, qualifying for loans, life insurance, etc.

My T was very clever about making sure none of those diagnoses became part of the official record, but unofficially we've discussed PTSD, minor depression, and small indications of APD, among others. He never indicated that any of those were of a moderate or severe level or he would have been obligated to make the diagnoses part of the official record.

#338533 - 08/18/10 01:58 AM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: WalkingSouth]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was once diagnosed as manic depressive and also having schizoaffective disorder. This was in the late 1990s and they were both way off the mark. What you list above is more realistic. Once I got back into T and addressed what happened more as a violation (first time around I couldn't call it that, and no one asked), and being very clear I thought I had trauma issue, things started to get better.

#338550 - 08/18/10 11:41 AM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: ericc]
Justafarmer Offline

Loc: CO
PSTD. Was also told I was asexual by a psychogolist. Talk about a stop in the recovery. If I was asexual why was I masturbating 2, 3, or 4 times a day with images of both male and female. This was 20 years ago and I probably will not go back to a psychogolist again.

#338568 - 08/18/10 01:36 PM Re: What psych diagnosis have you been assigned? [Re: Justafarmer]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
When memories first emerged, I was assigned:

depressed (dysthymia)
PTSD
and I had panic attacks

Then as counseling continued, I was:
DIDNOS
with PTSD

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.