Newest Members
jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312, Just Hanging
12342 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12342 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443449 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#337859 - 08/08/10 12:40 AM LIST OF HEALING MOVIES
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I started a new list of healing movies I have seen. Of course this means they have been healing for me. But I think that a lot of guys would find healing in them. I start with some of the more classic ones. I will add others in a few days.

I have been using Netflix. It is a good source of vids.

I have occasionally found movies which were very healing. Sometimes I watched them a dozen times or so. They were good for me because I would project myself into the movie. That is, the boy in the movie became me. Then as his situation "resolved", my own emotions followed along and also resolved. Often in these healing movies, the problems the boy had were reminiscent of problems I faced. (I was held captive for awhile but never in a gulag).

I need to make a list of these movies. They all were very meaningful to me personally for one reason or another. One I'll mention now is a classic:

I Am David, starring Jim Caviezel, and Ben Tibber

http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-David-Jim-Caviezel/dp/B0007N19X2/

This one is about a boy who spent time in a gulag, a prisoner of war camp, and escaped. He went through various trials and discovered that some people are really kind. He finally after many adventures finds his way out. I don't think this one is at all depressing. It might help you visualize a new meaning of motherhood. That would be good.

Another one is also a classic and you might have seen it already. It is: Empire of the Sun. One of the earlier efforts of Stephen Spielberg. The young Christian Bale is the star of that picture. Here again it involves a boy being in a captivity situation, followed by release and then repatriation.

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Snap-Case-Christian-Bale/dp/B00003CX9U/

A third one is also a classic: Oliver Twist. Based on the character given to us by Charles Dickens. I have seen several versions of this. One of them I like is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Oliver-Twist-Barney-Clark/dp/B000C20VU0/

You will find, as I did, that Charles Dickens understood child abuse and wrote about it clearly. Dickens also understood PTSD. Several of his other volumes also are helpful on this subject. Another one is David Copperfield. And of course the classic shown at Christmas time, A Christmas Carol, which portrays Tiny Tim and his difficulties. That one even shows how bitterness as a child can lead to being an old Scrooge (it doesn't have to).

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (08/08/10 11:57 PM)
Edit Reason: list coalesced

#337929 - 08/09/10 12:10 AM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

My most recent discovery was in finding my abuser in a movie. That might not come as a great surprise to many, but it did to me.

I knew that my grandfather had abused me when I was 4, but I couldn't remember very many details at all.

Then by accident I discovered the film, The Education of Little Tree. This is a non-depressing film that has become a favorite of a lot of people.

The grandfather in the film just happens to remind me of my own grandfather. The setting is so similar to the setting of my grandfather's and grandmother's home that it's amazing. Their way of talking and acting was incredibly similar. The little store in the town resembled a little store in the town where my grandfather took me to "show me off". There he bought some food, and some gum and some lifesavers.

The power of remembrance in this film has to do with helping to remember the person and the setting with a lot of details. The grandfather in the movie was so incredibly similar to my own grandfather that it took my own memories out of the shadows into the sunlight.

It is important to add that in the movie, Little Tree's grandfather did not abuse him, but actually gave generously of himself in helping Little Tree.

The Education of Little Tree probably won't serve the same purpose for very many of you, but that's OK. It's enough for my purposes to show how a movie can help in remembering. Most of you will have to find a different movie. When you do, it would help others if you would post it.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#337979 - 08/09/10 08:21 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: pufferfish]
kidneythis Offline

I must say that since I was triggered into remembering I am nearly unable to reach the state of suspension of disbelief necessary for one to enjoy tv shows and movies. I'm still able to enjoy some sitcoms and certain movies. They are in no particular order;(some of this stuff is really cheesy or juvenile)
1 Hitchhiker's guide movie and the old tv series which I have both of
2 Life of Brian
3 the Lord of the Rings trilogy; but only at certain times when I'm in the right frame of mind.
4 ELf
5 the first three Star Wars which seem to have been stolen leaving me with the last three which are crap.

They are healing because I can reach that place of suspension of disbelief and enjoy them. Heck I usually fall asleep they make me so comfortable.

Edited by kidneythis (08/09/10 08:22 PM)

#337985 - 08/09/10 09:27 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: kidneythis]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Allen, I really Like your choices!

Empire of the Sun was one of my favorite movies for the longest time!

I also used to Love Oliver Twist. But, for some reason, the last time I saw it, I only watched half of it, it triggered the hell out of me. I will agree with you though that Charles Dickens Knows PTSD or at least childhood trauma very well in his books.

Oh seeing the trailer I realize that I have seen the movie "I am David" and yes it is a wonderful movie that I enjoyed very much.

Thank you for the suggestions

Logan

Edited by Logan (08/09/10 09:32 PM)
-Blade Runner

#338027 - 08/10/10 02:52 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: Logan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here are some more healing movies.

These movies are perfectly harmless and may verge on being classics.

The reason they are/were healing for me is that I was a very, very sad teenager. The public schools sent me to counseling when I was 15. I just absolutely had no gleam in my eye anymore. I remember trying to read a Sadsack cartoon and it brought me to the point of tears. The counselor I went to tried to think of ways for me to get some joy back into my life. She told me to go to the library and get some books with jokes and funny stuff in them and then report back to her.

Well, it’s with that background that I found some vids which made me laugh. The healing part is still the matter of projection. I project myself into the boy in the movie and then it actually has a powerful affect on my inner emotions. So, here are some that I have found:

Where the Wild Things Are. This movie is delightful and is based on the children’s classic book by the same name written by Maurice Sendak. In this one, the boy is 12, the age at which I got terribly abused. So the movie also helps me with a problem I’ve had, “depersonalization disorder”. I experienced captivity and torture and abuse and it left me with that disorder and some others. This means to me that I lost the sense of who I was. So, it helps to watch the boy in this movie as he acts like what I think a 12-y-o boy would act. He has emotions like loneliness, abandonment, rejection, anger, joy, happiness, freedom, anger with parent (mother) . It will help you remember what it feels like to be really small compared to those around you. These were all helpful to me because it allowed me to vicariously relive a moment in which I was frozen. The boy actor was Max Records.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wild-Things-Are-Records/dp/B001HN699A/

How To Eat Fried Worms. I love this one. It was well done. I even enjoyed the bonus disc where they explain how the movie was made (they didn’t really use live worms). It was also based on a book. They took special care that the children involved in the film were not hurt in any way by the making of the film. It is a glorious spoof in which the new boy to the school is maneuvered into promising to eat fried worms by Friday in order to be accepted by the gang of his peers. The peers represented several types of boys, the bully, the clown, the geek, the adventurer, etc. Thus the film actually facilitates this matter of projection of the observer into the film. But it is really funny. Or better, it is hilarious. And everything turns out alright. This is what is needed to accomplish the healing for this film. It says to me on the emotional level that things can turn out right. It re-enacts the theme of how to react to a gang and a bully in a new school. The leading actor was Luke Benward.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Fried-Worms-Line-Platinum/dp/B000J10FLY/

The next one I recommend also gave me some good laughs and allowed me to reactivite my possibility thinking. I had lost the ability to dream and to wish. In this movie everything seems to be going wrong but then everything turns out just right. And I thought it was very funny. The boy actor was Brian Bonsall. The movie is: Blank Check.

http://www.amazon.com/Blank-Check-Brian-Bonsall/dp/B000089771/

This story also involves some mild bullying but it turns out right. The boy is the youngest of 3 boys and he gets put down by everybody else including parents. But yet he has the ability to dream and to be creative. The storyline involves some marvelous turns-of-events in which unfortunate events, like the boy’s bicycle being run over by a car turns out right. Of course it is all make believe and fantastic. But this is what I need a little of. I had lost my ability to dream and laugh. The boy ends up living in a mansion down the street which has every imaginable toy and game and swimming pool gadget. So I really did project myself right into that situation and it really helped me on an emotional level.

Allen

pufferfish

#338139 - 08/12/10 01:31 AM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: pufferfish]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Well... being a Goonie was a predecessor to my becoming a Marine.

I have a bunch of movies that all tap into one part of me or another, some made before I was born. Some I watch to grieve, some I watch to feel angry, some I watch to try and crack a smile, a lot I watch to remember who I was and who I have been fighting for to return to me.

Healing? For me? maybe not. They just help at times to feel other things aside from pain, some I'd even say give a little comfort.

(Empire of the Sun also one of my favorites, I still kind of hum the song he sings at times)

Weird thing with movies is that I still see myself as younger than the characters.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#338249 - 08/13/10 12:33 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: usmc97]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Here are some of my favorites:[size:11pt][/size]

Life as a House-about a man who finally wakes up for his life and decides to build something from the wreckage/legacy of his life-amazingly real emotions about facing our fears, our demons, and our anger..

The Celebration- Major triggers-it faces csa boldly fully and raw-riveting honest and amazing. Some scenes of confrontation with the perp I had to stand twenty feet away from the tv.

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#338978 - 08/25/10 03:10 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: Mountainous Buck]
CheerfulJohn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: England (at the moment)
Has anyone seen Ordinary People, with Donald Sutherland, Mary tyler-moore, timothy dutton? I found it captured powerfully how painful memories surface, and family denial/coping mechanisms.

Empire of the Sun
I am David

Power of image!

Edited by CheerfulJohn (08/25/10 03:10 PM)

#339401 - 09/01/10 02:43 PM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: CheerfulJohn]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

This may seem weird to some!

I find the movie: Diary of a Wimpy Kid to be healing and enjoyable.

http://www.diaryofawimpykidmovie.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKqYvFWWoY

This movie reminds me of myself at that age. I hadn't hit my growth spurt either. Those are the kinds of shoes I was wearing when abuse started. But then the abuse caused me to lose sight of who I was. I lost myself. So here comes a movie which is showing me as I might have been: A seventh grader with all the complexities and frustrations of that life. So it brought me back to life so to speak.

I found the movie to be full of laughs.

I recommend it.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (09/01/10 05:07 PM)
Edit Reason: links

#339441 - 09/02/10 06:15 AM Re: LIST OF HEALING MOVIES [Re: pufferfish]
LordShiningStarr Offline

Loc: Normal, IL
One of my favorite movies, also deals with Child Abuse, but really isn't a "Healthy" alternative. "Sleepers." But then I have a twisted mind, so I guess, it's my wish fulfillment, since I can't go around shooting people. While the imagry is desturbing, and sometimes can really trigger me. I do enjoy watching the scene where the main antagonist get's shot in the restaraunt near the beginning of the film.

The other good one that I find to be extremely healing was a made-for-tv movie called "I know my first name is Steven." It's about a boy who is kidnapped, and kept hostage for years, but finally escapes his kidnapper and get's reunited with his family. I find it to be healing, and good. It was based I believe on a true story, and is very very tastefully done. (i.e. even though you know what's going on, I don't get triggered, if at all.)

Alright, that's my two cents. Have a good Day, Gentlemen.

Lord ShiningStarr

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.