Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441313 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#337835 - 08/07/10 03:29 PM Advanced search functions
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

I know I'm missing something simple in my searching the board using the Advanced Search function. About 9 times out of 10 I get "There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria". I'll use one search word, and will mess with dates (usually newer than 5 years, older than 1 day). I'm frustrated because 5 years is pretty broad.

How do I search and actually get results?

Alfred

#337873 - 08/08/10 12:08 PM Re: Advanced search functions [Re: fhorns]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I have had the same problems myself with the search function.

#337874 - 08/08/10 12:20 PM Re: Advanced search functions [Re: prisonerID]
kidneythis Offline

I agree it is lacking something.
Try eliminating connecting words like the, it or and etcetera and choose the topic as specifically as possible and I wouldn't use advanced search it looks like you'd have to have some idea of what forum the thing you are looking for would be in and detailed information of that post.
The regular search function automatically searches the whole forum.

#337907 - 08/08/10 06:11 PM Re: Advanced search functions [Re: kidneythis]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I too agree that it lacks something in the way of being user friendly but I have found that if I include a wild card (*) in my searches, both before and after my search criteria, it actually works very well. There are limits set that determine how may hits will be returned. I forget what that limit is, perhaps 250 or 500.

You can refine the search criteria to a certain time period or a specific forum if you wish or you can search the entire site in so far as your permissions allow.

Because the software that powers the site is not proprietary to MaleSurvivor we have no control over the functionality of the search capabilities.

#338022 - 08/10/10 01:27 PM Re: Advanced search functions [Re: WalkingSouth]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Using the * worked for me this morning. Thank you.

Alfred

Edited by fhorns (08/10/10 01:28 PM)

#338061 - 08/10/10 11:48 PM Re: Advanced search functions [Re: fhorns]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Glad it worked! smile

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.