Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (YYZGIRL), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443356 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#337748 - 08/06/10 03:25 AM "I'M NOT GIVING UP"
bla Offline

Loc: Northern Ireland
Hi everyone just letting you all know I'm still not giving up on my protest to stop the British Government's Justice Secretary Ken Clarke's proposed changes to the rules on Universal Jurisdiction.He is only doing this to prevent victims of abuse from issuing an arrest warrant against the pope when he visits the UK from September 16 to 19.
I've wrote to my local newspaper about it and also sent a letter to Mr Clarke himself.Please find these below.
Thank you each and all for your kind continued support.

BLA.

(1)

A GLENGORMLEY man who claims to have been abused by a teacher at a Catholic primary school in West Belfast during the early 1960s has hit out at moves by the British government that could prevent victims of abuse from issuing an arrest warrant against the Pope when he visits the UK later this year.
The man, who wants to be identified only as Joe Abused, was educated by the De La Salle Christian Brothers at St. Finian’s School in the lower Falls Road area of west Belfast.

He says he was first abused at the age of nine in September 1964, with incidents involving the same Brother continuing until he left the school in June 1966.

Speaking to the Times this week, Joe expressed his disgust at what he regards as the government’s attempts to protect Pope Benedict XVI from being questioned about the cover up of abuse within church-run institutions when he visits the UK next month.

It is understood that Whitehall officials had been concerned that campaigners could try to use international criminal rules in a bid to secure an arrest warrant to detain the Pontiff.

However, Justice Secretary Ken Clarke has proposed changes to the rules on Universal Jurisdiction - a law that allows individuals to be prosecuted in the UK for serious offences even if they were committed abroad - effectively taking power out of the hands of the courts.

While Mr Clarke says the rules need to be changed to avoid their misuse by those simply intent on making a political statement or causing embarrassment, Joe has described the move as “an insult to victims of abuse”.

“This man (the Pope) is the head of a paedophile church and must be held accountable. This church destroyed my life at the age of nine and has destroyed many others. It’s as if the British government is trying to protect my abusers. It is a betrayal to me and other victims,” Joe said.

Last week, the Glengormley man wrote to the First and Deputy First Ministers calling on them to put pressure on Mr Clarke to stop the changes to the law going through. However, he was told that responsibility for Universal Jurisdiction lies with Westminster and is outside the remit of the First and Deputy First Ministers. He is now considering writing directly to Mr Clarke and the Prime Minister to highlight his concerns.

The pontiff is due to visit the UK from September 16 to 19, in what will be the first papal visit to the country since that of John Paul II in 1982.

(2)

To Ken Clarke

Sent: 05 August 2010 19:55:58
To: Ken Clarke (general.queries@justice.gsi.gov.uk)

Dear Mr Clarke,
I wish to express my disgust and also protest at your proposed changes to the rules on Universal Jurisdiction,I regard you and the Government's attempts to protect the pope from being questioned about the cover up of abuse within church-run institutions when he visits the UK next month as a complete insult and a slap in the face of all of us victims of abuse.
This man(the pope) is the head of a paedophile church and must be held accountable for all that was done to us.
This church destroyed my life at the age of nine,It took away my childhood,my innocence and my faith,It has destroyed many,many other victims,not only here in Northern Ireland,But also the whole world.
It feels to us victims in Northern Ireland that the British Government is trying to protect my abusers. It is an act of betrayal to me and other victims.
Instead of Changing the Rules on Universal Jurisdiction,why don't you do something positive,like-1='put pressure on the First and Deputy First Ministers to launch an Inquriy into the Child Abuse that went on over here'. And,-2='Set up an Abuse Line so that all victims of child abuse can tell their stories of what happened to them when they were children'.
We victims need and yes,Demand Justice,are you the man who is going to deliver it for us!?

Joe,Abused-Newtownabbey.

#337825 - 08/07/10 12:25 PM Re: "I'M NOT GIVING UP" [Re: bla]
kidneythis Offline

Good for you!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.