Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
2 registered (TheBobcatAgain, derrick), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#336466 - 07/21/10 10:43 AM Re: starting meds again [Re: michael banks]
kidneythis Offline

It sounds like what you are describing is that the intensity of the pain has diminished which is I think the whole point of taking the meds. I also think that with that reduction in intensity you will be better able to enact your plans for recovery. The sudden spikes in emotion will not be as strong and have less of a chance to upset the apple cart of recovery.

I like that metaphor.

#336470 - 07/21/10 10:58 AM Re: starting meds again [Re: kidneythis]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yeah..............(trying to admit "but.." ..................

It was more surprizing, engaging, exciting not being on them so long. I knew it would be beneficial for me, and everybody. Just my feelings, in admitting to my wife this morning, are "blaaaahh". Oh well. I'm on them. This was mostly a bitch post (because part of me says "I don't like this!!!!")

I may change my signature to "enslaved by meds". :-)

(I don't like this!!)

And this is week one.

Alfred

Edited by fhorns (07/21/10 10:59 AM)

#336471 - 07/21/10 11:20 AM Re: starting meds again [Re: fhorns]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Alfred,

Now that I think about it, when I was on zoloft, my marriage got restored, my mood leveled out, I started taking care of other people, and then I became employed. smile

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#336479 - 07/21/10 12:31 PM Re: starting meds again [Re: pufferfish]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

You are so ....right Allen. I know. It's funnier as the day goes on. I know I'm just venting here, hoping someone doesn't think I'm too committed to quitting. I'm in a very good mood at the moment; I just don't feel...I chose it. frown Something says there's something wrong/different/weird about that. (maybe?)

I'm admitting liking control of my emotions. It was (addictive?) And....I actually started them because I wasn't in control of them.

Thanks for replying Allen. I'll give them some time, bitch a little here or there, and plan......for it later, like a year from now. (Allen, did you do this?)

Alfred

#336513 - 07/21/10 10:32 PM Re: starting meds again [Re: fhorns]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Alfred,

Like you I struggle with taking meds for years. But for me it boils down to the fact that emotionally I feel alot better when I am on them. Not so mny ups amd downs. I can fall into depression and not see it for months. When things get too intense I disasociate without being aware that I am doing so. I survived my childhood by not being present emotionally or being even aware of how I am feeling. So even thu I am feeling in control of how I am feeling. I am not becausee I am just choosing to ignore what is really going on in my life. I can be real selective in what I choose to be part of reality and I see alot if not most people live this way too.
Control is just an illusion. The only control we have is the choice of whether we will deal with life as it is not as how we want it to be.
Meds for me are an aid to deal with life. Nothing more.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#336521 - 07/22/10 01:37 AM Re: starting meds again [Re: michael banks]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
My wife is bipolar and I have sat next to her on the rollercoaster ride of going on & off meds for several years now. It's driven BOTH of us to the brink of insanity and I try to tell myself that she doesn't enjoy being this way. She was on Carbatrol for awhile and that was effective, but my wife got pregnant and since that drug isn't safe for pregnancy, they put her on Lamictal.

You say you've been on the meds for one week and that you're on Lamictal. My wife says that there's this rare but serious disorder that can happen when you go on Lamictal & don't gradually increase up to a full dose. Usually they start you on the little tiny pills and gradually increase you week by week. My understanding is that the meds often take weeks to really start to work. So either you react strongly to a very small amount of Lamictal, or [I don't mean to get confrontational] it could just be the placebo effect--not the actual effect of the drug.

My wife goes on & off her meds for several reasons. Her therapist was the one who raped her, so it is like pulling teeth getting her to go to the psychiatrist. She won't go if someone isn't in the room with her, and she keeps the appointment down to 5 minutes or less. She just gets the right meds & goes home. so I think that has something to do with why she struggles w/ staying on the meds, but also because they affect her work habits.

She doesn't have extreme manic episodes or anything like that, but there are times when she's very chatty, her mind is racing with 10000 different thoughts and she can't calm herself down at night. I catch her up at 4am on her laptop doing a writing project for her job. She says some her best writing is from those sleepless, manic nights. At the same time, when she comes down, she has no energy, she sleeps until noon & skips work. She cuts herself, she doesn't eat, all these things are bad for her well-being.

When she's on her meds, the highs & lows aren't as pronounced. She still has creative bursts of energy that keep her up late sometimes, and she also has days where she is too depressed/triggered/etc to go to work... But they don't last for as long. They aren't as severe. In the end, she is a better wife, a better mom, a better employee, when she is on her meds. Even if she has to sacrifice some of her best writing in order to function, it is worth it to have a healthy marriage and stability in her career.

- Saint John of the Cross

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.