Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (BraveFalcon, Obi, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447615 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#336175 - 07/16/10 03:30 PM Did you have an evil perp? Are some born bad?
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
National Public Radio, Talk of the Nation for July 15, 2010.

Podcast of program on difficult kids. Very interesting.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/medi...amp;m=128542120

What shapes a person into a perp? Maybe it's not parenting? And conversely some persons had terrible parenting and turn into decent people.

The interviewed person is Dr. Richard Friedman. There is a tran>

Edited by pufferfish (07/16/10 03:38 PM)
Edit Reason: 5th paragraph added

#336243 - 07/18/10 12:09 AM Re: Did you have an evil perp? Are some born bad? [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Its hard to say. My brother initially dealt with our abuse much better than me. As time wore on he himself became abusive and a drunk/druggie. I never became abusive. My brother abused me. I withdrew mostly into Star Trek, Star Wars and fiction reading. I was an alcoholic as a teen but had a religious conversion. While never perfect, I gave up alcohol and drugs, changed my friends and started to blossom. My brother became a drunk his whole life, finally killing himself when he feared prosecution for sexual intercourse (rape) with a 7yo girl as a victim. I served in the US Army with an honorable discharge, got a bachelor's degree and a graduate degree, held respectable jobs (never more than 3 years however), started a business and got a respectable job here recently w/o much trouble.

I don't know how to read that whole thing. What was different? My dad molested us and others, but it never seemed to be a violent experience. My uncle, being a vietnam/korean war vet, literally raped, tortured and brainwashed us. What is the difference in those brothers?

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#336262 - 07/18/10 11:32 AM Re: Did you have an evil perp? Are some born bad? [Re: catfish86]
kidneythis Offline

I listened to the show and I can only say I disagree. Children are not born bad. Somewhere in the allegedly good parenting (how the hell is that determined when so many bad parents fly under the radar?) the parents gave positive reinforcment for the negative behavior. This builds on itself and so on.

As for perps being evil. I think there are two kinds;

1)Evil perps; those being the ones who fully understand the harm they are inflicting and get off on it. That harm is part of the motivation and positively reinforces itself with each crime.

2)Less than Evil, but not by much, perps who are usually some kind of abuse victims themselves (not necessarily CSA) who don't have a proper conception of how to see the world, people and themsleves and their actions. I'm betting socially crippled and unable to be effective in their own lives. They probably do not see their victims as victims where the first sort do.

I think it is the second group who show improvement in therapy.

EDIT
My perps were the Evil sort. They looked for things to do to me that would have long term or life long negative effects on me then enacted almost any idea that came along. From straight up physical psychological abuse to sexual abuse and then into torture and drugging me to destroy my mind and finally dozens of ECT's when it became clear I was too tough to kill or destroy completely. Sometimes in between they gave me treatment to help me heal from the latest round of abuse. The worst was the isolation closet where my tendons started to retract my R hand became a claw and my L foot rolled inward. Neither have ever been right.
There was also the modified Ghotna torture where they made me sit on a pointy rock placing it into my R glute and quad connection. This muscle group has never developed properly since. I only just discovered that this had a name a little while before or just after I joined this site. It is an Punjabi word for the pestle of a very large mortar and pestle which they use over there to crush the muscles of the legs until the muscle dies. This often cripples the victim or kills them because of the poisoning effect of so much tissue dieing in the body at once.

and so it goes.....

Edited by kidneythis (07/18/10 12:09 PM)

#336263 - 07/18/10 11:45 AM Re: Did you have an evil perp? Are some born bad? [Re: kidneythis]
InsideTheWall Offline

Mine definitely falls into the first category. He's a serial molester that actually had the nerve to hit on me last time he saw me. Lucky for him, I didn't have a knife on me.

Edited by InsideTheWall (07/18/10 11:57 AM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.