Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (ethereo222, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63205 Topics
441966 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#336153 - 07/16/10 11:01 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: dark empathy]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi,my brothers,

Nope, I didn't have a dad. didn't have much of a "mom" either.
I wasn't taught diddly squat about anything from her.

I had seen a few movies in where a cowboy or GI, was shaving. And when i went into the Air Force, i had some peach fuzz, and my TI told me that there is no room in his Air Force, for some one with any kind of hair growing on his face, including mine. So i also learned the hard way about shaving. Seems like my TI didn't mind those bloody nicks tho.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#336186 - 07/16/10 07:11 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: petercorbett]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
You know what else is interesting and I'm curious if you guys can relate. I still only shave once every week or two. I usually have some kind of scruffy facial hair going. Granted I work as a ditch digger/mason and tidiness is not really expected, shaving is not on my daily list of hygiene. I'm curious if the other fellas whose father never taught them to shave, shave daily? Do you enjoy it? Personally, I hate it, I put it off until I look like Joe Dirt.

#336189 - 07/16/10 09:25 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Riley]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh, I shave everyday. I hate shaving but I hate facial hair even more so I'll put up with one to get rid of the other.

#336196 - 07/16/10 11:54 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Barkabus]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Riley - I work in a factory and generaly only shave once a week - it's not that I hate shaving or anything like that - I just don't see the point of shaving every day to work a factory job - if i have somewhere's nice to go durring the week I'll shave...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#336199 - 07/17/10 01:10 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: TJ jeff]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers,

This old boy, has shaved almost every day for the past 57 years.

I don't consider it a pain in the butt to do it.

I think that it would make me look older with grey stubble.

What i do consider a pain in the butt, is the hair in my ears & eye brows.

Heal well, my brothers, heal well.

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#337067 - 07/28/10 07:43 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Sobernow]
happybuddha1 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hey sobernow.....my Dad was an alchoholic when I was growing up. (he has been sober for 20 years and is a sponsor in AA)

He never showed me how to shave, pee, relate to women, fix things around the house....nothing.

Now after being on this planet for almost 50 years, I am realizing that much of my addictive behavior has been a reaction to abuse by an unrelated man, but more so, by just wanted to feel loved by my Dad and have a male role model, which I never had.

It sucks...not sure what to do.....I am kind of old to find an older male role model...I have no kids....sucks

#337071 - 07/28/10 09:02 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: happybuddha1]
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
I am not sure why I felt anxious while reading these posts. For the first time in a long time I felt almost a sense of panic. I don't believe anything anyone said was triggering. My dad wasn't around much and when he was he was very controling and distant. He was a military officer and was gone a lot. He gave me an antique razor where I had to turn the bottom of the razor to open the top. After the top was open, I would place the double-sided blade in the top and turn the bottom to close it. I had to be very careful not to knick myself with this. He then gave me a cup with clump of shaving soap and a brush and told me to shave like you would mow a lawn. That was it.

I thought if I wrote this I would feel better. I don't. I feel like something bad is going to happen now.

#337082 - 07/28/10 09:55 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: nltsaved]
LW1527 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake City Ut
I felt a real sense of panic and got out of this site. Then I got back and and read this post about a young dad's excitement about teaching his 3 son's how to shave. It then reminded me of my two boys and that they both have "razors" and shaving cream sitting next to dad's. Sometimes I find then lathering up. It's fun to see that. There are a lot of things my dad never showed me. When he got back from playing soldier for many years, I grew up and he didn't know how to handle that. Then he died and I was very confused about who he was and where he fit into my life or didn't fit into my life. I was confused why everyone including kids thought he was the greatest when I always thought he was a jerk. Then I realized my dad was two men, my dad and then what he wanted others to see. Thus my confusion became larger. I think I would have done better without a dad. There!

#337372 - 07/31/10 08:14 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: nltsaved]
2dayistheday Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Hi,

I recently joined MS this past week and since I've been here I've met people who feel and think the same way as I do. All I can say is I know what you mean. My father had no influence in my life whatsoever, even thou we lived in the same household,we didnt speak to another for the last 6 years of his life.

What your doing for your 3 sons should be applauded by all men not matter what kind of relationship they had/have with their father. I shave maybe twice a month and that is due to being part Native American. I know it takes me a year to grow some sort of facial hair structure but when I do that it just doesnt fit well,so I always shave it off and soon as I do my nieces just rub their hands all over it and say "wow that is smooth".

When a man does the basics of life and a child thinks it's so amazing,that's how we know we're doing right. So as you can see the little things do matter to us.

#338633 - 08/19/10 10:42 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: 2dayistheday]
Sobernow Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
This shaving and facial hair stuff --- is still a big thing for me.

Perhaps because it is so strongly linked with "being a man".

When can I stop needing to prove myself?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.