Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (Going forward, md4e, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63428 Topics
443425 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#336048 - 07/14/10 03:12 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: nltsaved]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

My dad didn't show me how to shave either. I was left to figure it out all on my own. I was also ashamed of the changes my body was going through when I hit puberty.

#336051 - 07/14/10 03:41 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: nltsaved]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Nope Dad never taught me how to shave, still don't know. I use an electric razor. He was sick and my parents got divorced when I was in 6th grade. I too feel wierd about it, I should know how to shave

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#336058 - 07/14/10 05:47 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: onlyakid]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have asked this question as well. And no, my Dad never taught me to shave. First I was ashamed that my body was changing, mostly because my perp was mad at me because I was growing up. He taught me to shave only not my face. I later went out and bought an electric razor to shave my face. No one ever asked me how I learned to shave. By the way, to this day a non-electric shaver has never touched my face, I have no idea how to shave with a regular one, kind of sad for a 23 year old huh?? O yea and just thinking about shaving makes me feel gross.

#336067 - 07/14/10 09:23 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Riley]
kidneythis Offline

I just did it. I cut myself now and then but it's pretty simple and easy to teach yourself with I think it was the same razor handle I have now, a Schick twin blade. Maybe its a second one I'm using now I have tried several but always come back. That is what my father used. I still have all the different handles I tried.

Anyway if you want to just try it it makes you feel good to know you've done it yourself. Don't use much shave cream a dab smaller than a plum for the whole face should be fine, and go with the grain of the growth, slowly. The blade is dull when you start to feel it pulling at the hair. A sharp blade cuts the hair w/o effort and in my case I don't feel it. A dull blade leads to cuts. Men with thicker hair may be different. Use hot water and rinse the blade after each stroke. Cheap blades are just that, I usually get three shaves out of one. The full priced blades will last for five or more shaves on me. I still go cheap since I keep finding them for less than four bucks.
Good luck brother it's a good feeling to teach this to yourself.

Edited by kidneythis (07/14/10 09:24 PM)

#336069 - 07/14/10 10:00 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: kidneythis]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
Sobernow, thank you for starting this thread.

I think many of us here have questions about our bodies, our hygiene, our mannerisms, etc. that our fathers never answered for us. And because I am now bonding with males for really the first time in my life here at MS, all the questions that I never had answered in my youth are starting to beg to be asked.

I, too, was never taught to shave (and I'm 38, Riley - don't be too embarrased, buddy. smile ). I was bought an electric shaver, and that was it. I have never quite dared to try to shave my face with a standard razor. I even bought a couple so I could try it, but I just don't know how to. Do I use water? Soap? Shaving cream? Do I need any of that at all?

I don't even know the difference between aftershave and cologne; I rarely use either one. All I know is not to put too much on.

I have no memory of learning to urinate, so I can't answer whether I was taught or not. I WAS taught to "lift the lid" by my mother and sister. lol

Here's another embarrassing moment - I remember when I was around 14(!) or so, I was playing cards with my mom and my sister. My sister kept sniffing the air with a grimace on her face. Finally she asked me if I had put on my deodorant that morning. I was too ashamed to tell her that I didn't know anything about deodorant/antiperspirant, so at first I lied and said yes. After she continued questioning me, I confessed that I didn't know how to use it. She couldn't believe that I was 14 and had never used any. She told me what to do and sent me off to my dad's bathroom to put some on. I remember my face burning with humiliation.

Bobcat

#336077 - 07/14/10 11:28 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: nltsaved]
antonioe Offline

My parents divorced when I was four and my father was an irresponsible alcoholic, I taught myself pretty much everything, I left home for a 6month student exchange during college and never returned.

It would have been great if my father taught me "about life", in some weird way I did learn from him not to do what he did with his life, but I guess it would've been great to have at least some pointers from him while he was still alive...

--------------------------------------------------
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
Without ever having felt sorry for itself.

-- D.H. Lawrence

#336087 - 07/15/10 03:45 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: antonioe]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
The only person I ever called "Dad" died before I started shaving. So I, too, taught myself.

But for all of us who were never taught, or who never learned, this is not something about which we should be denegrating ourselves.

There are many things in life that do not come naturally, and shaving is one of them.

Shaving is a complex activity. The shape of the area to be shaved is full of contours, not to mention the surface (your skin) is a moveable surface. Humidity, hair type (straight, curly, etc.) hair length, hair texture, skin tone, and skin color all go into the equation of shaving.

With so many variables to take into consideration, it is no wonder why many men do not know how to shave.

Even those who were "taught" either by their fathers (or father figures) or by other males (as in the armed services) do not know how to properly shave.

Have you ever seen movies in which a man is shaving as though he is trying to beat the clock?

This is NOT the time to be in a hurry!!!

Yet many males were taught to just rush through the process.

Shaving, in addition to being a part of your grooming, however frequently or infrequently you choose to do it, is also a time for you. A time to be with yourself. A time to take care of yourself.

For those who have not been taught how to shave, or who may not have been properly taught how to shave, here are a few links:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-shave-a-beard.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2116_shave-face.html

As usual, a caucasion man is shown. For men of color, pay particular attention to the prevention and treatment of razor bumps. Various razors are designed for men of color and/ or men with curly hair to avoid/ reduce razor bumps.

For some of the other things we may not have been taught, such as how to tie a tie, check these links:

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=how+to+tie+a+tie&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=ubk-TKTnJIO78gaJhtHdBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEQQsAQwAw

The illustrations (and videos) are usually geared toward the right handed. As usual, we southpaws have to adapt.

I hope this helps.

Anomalous

#336136 - 07/15/10 11:05 PM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Sobernow]
jls Offline

I learned how to shave in the military of all places. I was only 17 and didn't even need to shave but this one corporal I had in basic training insisted on teaching me so that's how I learned. He was an asshole overall but I thank him for teaching me that one thing.

#336141 - 07/16/10 02:28 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: jls]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm still looking for my father, I spent maybe an hour with him my whole life.

Nobody taught me most things, I figured them out for myself and it still carries a sense of loss. There is also a feeling of anger because I deserved better, I deserved a chance. When I bought my first razor I was laughed at and scrutinized. I don't get a sense of accomplishment from doing things on my own that are supposed to be milestones, it has always left the impression that I can handle and adapt to anything without side effects. My life is full of the side effects.

I was taught the correct way to shave in bootcamp, it grew to become a problem though.... my perps shaved my body during the years they hurt me, I don't even know when the puberty thing actually happened. So within a couple of years of learning I eventually couldn't use a razor anymore because of not being able to handle the way it felt against my skin. I still can't shave and can only use a trimmer.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#336147 - 07/16/10 08:02 AM Re: Did your Dad teach you to Shave? [Re: Riley]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Originally Posted By: Riley
I By the way, to this day a non-electric shaver has never touched my face, I have no idea how to shave with a regular one, kind of sad for a 23 year old huh?? O yea and just thinking about shaving makes me feel gross.

Actually up until last year, I'd only ever used an electric razor myself, which my dad gave me when I was about fifteen. There was no special reason for this other than convenience, however last year I decided that it was too much of a pest and took too much time especially when I've been exercising.

So to rily and anyone else, it's really nothing to be ashamed of.

On the advice of my barber, I now use a fusion, which has a battery and electric mota, but wet shaves with cream, and I've actually found it a much nicer experience and give a better shave generally.

The only thing that always confuses me, is when on an occasion I haven't shaved for a while, a lot of my female friends say how much a beerd sutes me, yet my dad is adamant about shaving, ---- slightly weerd sinse he has serious wiskers himself.

I'm never really certain about my appearence, sinse I always read any complement as the other person being kind not as genuinely true, thus whether I should do x or y is always something that confuses me slightly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.