Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
6 registered (Bluedogone, Obi, Cthulhu, 3 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63214 Topics
442030 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335575 - 07/08/10 08:09 AM Want to start a group in West Central Oregon?
kidneythis Offline

Any survivors want to start a support group? I have some experience with AA groups but never with an abuse group.

We could just use it as a place to process openly the things we keep to ourselves thinking others wouldn't understand. All the stuff we hide in general really. I'm fairly open because of my AA experiences but I'm sure I could stand some work and I'd definitely benefit from a group of men willing to call me on my BS.

#336821 - 07/25/10 03:41 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: kidneythis]
kidneythis Offline

Come on guys it aint so hard as it seems. We don't even have to talk about abuse but just meet to hang out at a coffee shop or a book store.
Its the sense of having a community of people to talk to and meet with, as much as the inner work we have to do that helps us recover.

Edited by kidneythis (07/25/10 03:41 PM)

#341069 - 09/29/10 10:39 AM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: kidneythis]
Max10 Offline

Loc: Oregon
I live in S.Oregon, kidneythis...

~Max10~
~ I am not a victim...I am a survivor! ~

#341114 - 09/29/10 06:37 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: Max10]
kidneythis Offline

Welcome Max,
I could have sworn I posted a reply here this morning.
Anyway I wish I knew of someplace you could get help. I'm in the same boat as you.

#343074 - 10/25/10 07:26 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: kidneythis]
TehRibbit Offline

I live in Oregon (about an hour or so south of Portland) and I'm trying to get a group started on my campus. I'm also trying to do some kind of male survivor's program or event. Any tips or advice would be great!

#343079 - 10/25/10 07:46 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: TehRibbit]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
I attend a male survivors group at a center in the city I live in that has groups for men. I would think a church or event center or room on campus as tehribbit mentions above would be great.

Our group only talks about male survivor issues in general. Issues like religion or political events are left at the door to be discussed before or after the meetings.

It man take one person finding a place and then advertising that place and being the only one for a time.

I have posted ads on craigslist to anonymously talk about "tough" issues. They dont know me and at times the talk stopped but better than that I talked with a guy for nearly two months.

I learned to handle my own thoughts in the process.

Staying connected helps and is the key. Using the model of telling our stories like we do here helps.

I have shared in detail and heard others .. nothing like it... it is painful yes but the calmness and peace afterwards is wonderful

A

#344496 - 11/08/10 05:18 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: kidneythis]
Tortured Soul Offline

Loc: Oregon
how close to Eugene?

#345077 - 11/13/10 11:27 AM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: Tortured Soul]
kidneythis Offline

As close as we like TS

#345462 - 11/16/10 05:57 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: kidneythis]
TehRibbit Offline

I miss Eugene, I'm close to it still though. Would be cool.

#347396 - 12/07/10 03:01 PM Re: Want to start a group in West Central Oregon? [Re: TehRibbit]
kidneythis Offline

I've got info on SIA meetings from another member. I will read it and see what I can do about starting a meeting in Eugene. My intent is for it not to be restricted to Survivors of Incest. I wish to include all CSA and Child abuse victims. I want to establish an all male group but will work with and accept in meetings any females who need support as long as the rest of whatever group develops doesn't object. It would be best after we got things rolling to form an all female group then maybe have coed groups later.
There is a 12x12 format taken from AA and adapted from what I've been told. Honestly I haven't read much past the first bit.

I will forward this info to anyone who thinks it will help them.

KT

Here is a link

http://www.siawso.org/ I'm getting a lot of info here. Turns out the difinition of incest they are using includes most perps who achieved a position of trust or authority over us.

Edited by kidneythis (12/07/10 04:54 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.