Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63117 Topics
441396 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#335558 - 07/07/10 11:54 PM Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem????
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I am in the process of switching careers to become a Pharmacy Technician. Today I had a phone interview with a upscale grocery chain here in the Northeast called Wegmans. I felt so wierd and unprepared when I really had to sell myself, it almost felt like I was lying. And when he asked "Tell me a little about yourself", that really threw me for a bit of a loop. Somehow I think I did ok. We'll see, I'll know if they are going to schedule an in-person interview by late next week.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#335560 - 07/08/10 12:05 AM Re: Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem???? [Re: onlyakid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
When you have an interview, whether in person or by phone, you can prepare yourself ahead of time by rehearsing in you head the things that need to be said about yourself. Think about how you would say these things.

Allen

pufferfish

#335571 - 07/08/10 07:32 AM Re: Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem???? [Re: pufferfish]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
You can also practice in front of a mirror and interview yourself. Remember that the potential employer is really ONLY interested in how good of a worker you will be. Part of it is skills/knowledge, but a huge part is attitude and drive to do a good job. How do you feel about yourself regarding those later qualities?

Good luck!

Jim

My Story

#335585 - 07/08/10 09:14 AM Re: Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem???? [Re: Jim1961]
kidneythis Offline

I experience that it is one of the reasons I opted for construction work inspite of my broken body. If you finish an apprenticeship you never have to interview again.

I'm short on help here except to say that what I see now is similar to what you describe and for me that amounts to not knowing the social cues and norms of the "upper" end class of people. Of whom those I know and have dealt with they are just as or more, morally labile as the rest of us (read that the same)hidden behind posh speech and money.
I think if I had to face this I would work on two things relaxation (this seems to be a major cue to "them") and self esteem. Relaxation bordering if not crossing over into arrogance goes over very well with the hoity toity crowd.

#336074 - 07/14/10 10:52 PM Re: Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem???? [Re: kidneythis]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Seems like I am better at selling myself then I thought. I got a call a few days ago and they wanted to schedule an in person interview. That interview was today and I know that I did well on the interview with the HR person because they asked me if I had time to stay and meet with the pharmacy manager. Now from what I understand 2 people from HR, the pharmacy manager and the store manager will have a meeting to deciede who gets the job. Hopefully I did well enough with the pharmacy manager that I do get it.

Edited by onlyakid (07/14/10 10:52 PM)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#336076 - 07/14/10 11:11 PM Re: Interviews: Selling yourself w/low self esteem???? [Re: onlyakid]
kidneythis Offline

very cool

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.