Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
2 registered (lostcowboy, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443949 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301875 - 09/06/09 02:25 AM Aspergers or Autism
Charlie24 Offline

So I need to vent and bitch to you guys. The only people I have who actually listen to me.

So after my summer session I went home for a short vacation. I saw my immediate family.

For the most part it was a decent visit, I did my best to tolerate my sister.

So one morning I was talking to my mom and my sister out on the porch.

My mom and my sister were discussing a woman who had learning disabilities. She was able to overcame as she says and get the help she needed or accommodated as best she could. Learned how to deal with her shit. Wrote a book about how people with complications to the brain, learning disabilities can actually overcome their shit and try and compensate for it all. Or do the best it can. Pretty fascinating if you ask me.

Let me preface this next part by saying my mom is no expert.

We were discussing learning disorders and mental health and well being.

She casually mentioned she thought I may have a form of autism. Like a mild form of it.

After talking to her about it I realized what she was saying could actually be true.

It wasn't until I got back to school where I decided to dig a little deeper into it all.

So looking at the symptoms I might have it could explain my just plain stupidity and general weirdness I think others notice when they meet me.

I notice I tend to generally feel very awkward in social situations and also very clumsy.

I guess I just wonder what these are all about, does anyone here have these or know someone who has had it?

This may be a repeat of a topic but I just would appreciate some answers.

I guess it might be also wise to get a professional opinion on things in my life.

#301881 - 09/06/09 02:51 AM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: Charlie24]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Charlie,

I think everyone has some kind of issue to deal with. Alot of people have had to overcome or learn to deal with a learning disability. I have a problem with inverting letters and numbers but I am a bright guy
I think alot of the problem is that peoplle try to label one way of learning or dealing with situations as normal and other as not. People are all different and we approach things differently.
And strugggle with feelings of being different then others. I too struggle in social situations where there are new people to me or being in a strange situation. Being a csa survivor has taught us to be very careful with people and situations that we are not use to or comfortable with. It is not being weird just a way we learned to protect ourselves.

By the way who gets to define what is weird and what is not. I think we have make these definitions ourselves.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#301912 - 09/06/09 10:34 AM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: michael banks]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Charlie,

I would think you may be able to get some assistance with some of your general questions through your school.

As for a professional diagnosis - well, they are not always easy. But can be attained. Not sure why your mother felt you might have this but I would explore it.

Sometimes it can be actually freeing to find out there is a reason for certain issues we face. I know that it is actually a relief for some parents and students to learn they ar dyslexic and explains a lot.

I would also caution not to let a single word or term frame you. The truth of the matter is you are a very bright guy (kudos to Mr. Banks for saying that about himself. I would agree with him on that!).

A very good friend of mine has a son and they have struggled with his learning disability. He has been diagnosed with ADD and depression at a very young age. The depression part really threw her for a loop. Last year a new counselor brought up aspergers. This seems to have "fit" as well as a diagnosis for a young kid can.

Now, follow Michael's lead - time for a positve self affirmation. I can't hear you!

My Best,

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (09/06/09 10:42 AM)

#301948 - 09/06/09 04:06 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: prisonerID]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Actually, My son as Asperger's and my therapist (who's specialty is Autism and Asperger's) believes that I have it as well!!

If you do have Asperger's, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you though. It simply means that your mind works differently. On a positive note, people with Asperger's are usually very intelligent, we just don't get the social stuff unless we learn it. It doesn't come natural.

I'm very awkward in social situations as well.

PM me if you want to talk about it more! I read a book by a fellow with Asperger's recently. Called "look me in the eye".
Very good book and I saw much of myself in it!

Oh, and just a note to add, I've read in a few places that as they study it more and more, many of the researches believe that a touch of asperger's is needed for what they call "creative genius." For example... it's very much believed that Einstein had Asperger's.

Edited by JustScott (09/06/09 04:09 PM)

#302461 - 09/10/09 11:15 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: Charlie24]
nomansanisland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NM
charlie, i dont know if you know, but i work in the disabilities industry. Generally, if you were not diagnosed with autism , at an early age, there may be a chance that you dont have autism... it is easy as an adult to find assistance. First you need to see a dr that specializes in autism spectrum disorders and have yourself tested. easy enough. Social phobia is something that people who have survived csa expierence. check it out. aspergers, is high functioning autism, can be dibilitating because of social unawareness and hyper intelligence...lets talk...

patrick nomansanisland

#302611 - 09/12/09 03:09 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: nomansanisland]
Charlie24 Offline

I do appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. I also realize self diagnosis isn't always the best, especially being a survivor of csa. Thanks to each of you guys, Mike, Daryl, Scott & Patrick for your replies.

As I continue on my recovery I realize in my journey it's important to get help and seek out the advice of professionals for accurate diagnosis of disorders and overall mental health.

Thanks guys.

Charlie.

#308330 - 10/27/09 02:14 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: Charlie24]
BigV Offline

Hey Charlie, I just wanted to point out a few other possibilities, if you don't mind. There is something called Sensory Integration Disfunction, and the autism spectrum disorders include it in their de>

Edited by BigV (10/27/09 02:21 PM)

#323639 - 03/01/10 12:24 AM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: BigV]
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Hey Charlie.
I wanted to tell you that one of the LD's that I have is called Auditory Processing Deficit.

There is nothing wrong with my hearing, its my brain that has trouble interpreting what the sounds mean. Sometimes I have trouble with telling wether one is being sarcastic or not.

I will discus it more if you want.

Logan

Edited by Logan (03/08/10 09:38 PM)
-Blade Runner

#325321 - 03/15/10 10:06 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: Logan]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Charlie,

I have a son who is diagnosed high-functioning autistic and possibly ADHD. My daughter is borderline aspergers. Both involve social clumsiness and we have had both to see behavioral psychologists and a neurologist. Essentially, we had to learn different methods and fine tune our discipline with our son. We learned to set rules clearly ahead of time and avoid escalating confrontation once he is having a meltdown (not give in, but allow him a safe place to vent, then address the situation). One of the prime examples when we knew we had a problem was that our daughter grabbed Mom's hot curling iron ONCE. Aaron did it a third time. Now, you would say he must be dumb as a box of rocks and if that were the case we would love him. But he wasn't so we endeavored to find out.

His treatment also included physical therapy involving coordination skills, bouncing balls, brushing with a surgical brush (much like petting a dog) and a variety of other methods which worked wonders. Bottom line is that we are aware of things and just planning accordingly. This will also include taking his condition into account in determining his career field choices.

An example of this is my own ADHD, diagnosed since I was a child (and a convenient scapegoat for many of my symptoms of CSA which is another topic). I am now a very happy owner of a growing tax business. I am required to constantly shift focus to different clients' returns, typically in about an hour each. It is exactly what I am prone to do so instead of choosing a field (such as surgeon) requiring long periods of concentration, I choose one requiring rapid and constant change of focus. ADHD might well find customer service rep positions fit their personality very well.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#327120 - 04/02/10 02:57 PM Re: Aspergers or Autism [Re: catfish86]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Charlie,
I do a lot of reading about Mercury and other associated heavy metals, but ALL because of how I've thought my whole life, how I think and feel now. Lately I've learned (no, really I mean accepted) autism had only skyrocketed in the states since vaccinations have increased (by a large number since my childhood in the 80's). Mercury is key ingredient in vaccinations. I am into health discoveries all the time, but accepting it meant--like you said--it might be true.

Aspergers....I only learnead about it recently since my wife has been trying to "diagnose" me. I am very smart, focus too intently on small things, avoid people, yeah. Diagnosed? No.

Autism goes hand in hand with Asperger's. Autism hits the brain when young, and Asperger's doesn't get detected so easily--again, maybe because of later vaccinations or dental fillings. (Those are my guesses on Asperger's)

MY diagnosis? mercury poisoning. I have every chewing tooth in my mouth filled with amalgam--that's 18 teeth!!. I get quickly bitchy after eating or drinking hot liquids. My solution? Well last summer I committed to do this, and May 11 is my first visit for amalgam removal. It might take 4 visits, but I'll also be pulling mercury out through supplements and food--here's a sampling --epsom salts, eggs, high fiber, Vit. C, selenium, iodine, and bentonite clay. My dentist actually encouraged clay since it acts like a magnet for heavy metals. He does it himself. And suicide is HIGHEST in his profession--check the stats. Ever had suicidal thoughts? I have. Many. Most I've never had events to tag them to. They just came and went.

What do I expect? I'm not sure what peace feels like, but I expect less scattered thoughts, more accepting reality (vs. the VERY REAL depersonalization spoken of by BigV), better tolerance to stress, and other sound thinking habits. Physical detox might take 6 months-2 years, but all the reports I've read motivate me to commit to this. I've had my ass kicked by this shit. I don't want it anymore. I'll give you some links (if this is of any help to you).

http://www.mercurypoisoned.com/symptoms.html
http://www.flcv.com/recover.html
http://www.everydayhealth.com/CS/forums/467075/ShowThread.aspx

I saw these symptoms in myself for years. Doing something about it is my daily challenge. It means....CHANGE!!!!

Thanks.

Alfred

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.