Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (rolex, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63112 Topics
441356 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#335676 - 07/09/10 02:09 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: pufferfish]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
I remember watching Sybil on TV in the late 70s and (I think) I rented it once in the early 80s (my early 20s).

I was fascinated by the story, and could relate to the abuse.

It also lead me to read an excellent book titled "I'm Eve", the real story of the woman from the old movie "Three Faces of Eve." I checked on Amazon and it is available as used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...;condition=used

Fortunately, I do not suffer from DiD, but I know a couple guys that do...

I do experience "mild" dissociation, where I can "leave" my body and go stone cold. I used to think of this as simply numbing out, but then reading Mike Lew's book and reading up about it here, I know now that it is really a form of dissociation.

I'm sure it was a coping tool, but today it just gets in the way of my relationships (like with my wife). I'm working on it with my T.

My Story

#335681 - 07/09/10 03:50 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: Jim1961]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Allen and others who dissociate,

I retain things I've read. Allen gave me a good book (Faces of Billy Milligan), but I'll have to order it from my library--do an interlibrary loan.

I know some basics. Are there any good websites about dissociation? Because Allen sees things not often cited. Googling would turn up 1000's. Asking for your experience though.

Thank you. This helps.

Alfred

#335706 - 07/09/10 09:51 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
kidneythis Offline

fhorns,
here is a link to a paper I found when I first started to remember and thought I was going crazy. http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~kihlstrm/Sutker_2001.htm

You can find many other papers by him on his site which should have links at the top of the page.

A year or so later I discovered he was a false memory advocate and accepts money to testify against recalled abuse. He insists there must be proof or it has to be questioned.

The papers and information is good. He isn't a treating psychologist he is a research psychologist. How one is a research psychologist w/o treating is an answer I can't get from him or any other "research" psychologists.

I hope this helps you.

#335715 - 07/09/10 11:34 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: kidneythis]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kidney,
I'm glad you stated his stance, because most of what I read sounded like he was saying "but it isn't really true". Not good for a survivor (like me, seeking validation) to hear. Thanks for warning me.

Got any other links? :-/

Alfred

#335727 - 07/10/10 12:56 AM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
kidneythis Offline

I never got that from what I read. I probably puzzled the hell out of him when I emailed and told him how he helped me. I found that his factual and historical information was good. I haven't read much more than the paper I linked but I have perused some of the other stuff.

JimHopper.com is a good site to try for information about memory and all sorts of abuse related damage.

#335757 - 07/10/10 03:31 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: kidneythis]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the direction Kidney.

Alfred

#335780 - 07/11/10 09:30 AM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
kidneythis Offline

For me it was the information about dissociative amnesia and fugue that explained this hole in my memory and allowed me to feel normal while I was having all these images and memories running through my head. I was very concerned about my sanity until then as I didn't know what it was.
When I recalled the ECT and fully realized what the after effects of it were that was the final piece of the puzzle that explained to me how I could be remembering something from a period of time I had never been able to remember anything about.

You see, like a lot of people, I didn't believe it was possible until it happened to me.

Edited by kidneythis (07/11/10 09:32 AM)

#336429 - 07/20/10 04:04 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I watched the Bonus disc associated with the dvd Sybil. I found the bonus disc very interesting, but not as interesting as the main dvd. Apparently the psychiatrist, Dr. Wilbur, was a very flamboyant person. I saw the original version of Sybil, starring Sally Field and Joanne Woodward.

Apparently the real Sybil died in 1998 of cancer. Her real name was Shirley Mason. She was born in Dodge Center, Minnesota in 1923. As an adult she was an art professor at Rio Grande College. Hundreds of her paintings have been sold. A bunch of her art work has been collected into a dvd display.

Picture of the real Sybil, Shirley Mason (below)
(cover half of the face and look; then cover the other half of her face and who do you see?)

Artwork of Sybil (Shirley Mason)

Dove In Flight (below)

Unnamed crayon drawing by Sybil or Shirley Mason (below)

Blue Is the Color of Love, by Sybil or Shirley Mason (below)

Here is one website about Sybil's work:

https://www.sybil.biz/store/

Another website is by the friend of Sybil (Nancy):

http://www.sybilsfriend.com/

A new movie about Sybil has been released in 2006 in a 2-dvd set. It stars Jessica Lange as Dr. Wilbur and Tammy Blanchard as Sybil.

Wikipedia lists the personalities of Sybil. The surname has been changed because while she was alive her anonymity had to be protected. The list of personalities is also given in the beginning of the book Sybil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_(book)#References

Sybil's psychiatrist is written up in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_B._Wilbur

Dr. Wilbur died in 1992. She was professor of psychiatry at University of Lexington in KY.

More of Sybil's art is at:

http://www.sybilsfriend.com/shirleysart.htm

http://www.sybilsfriend.com/multiple%20expressions.htm

There are a bunch of other websites showing Sybil's artwork and some letters.

A good article on DID is found in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

Allen

Edited by pufferfish (07/20/10 04:53 PM)
Edit Reason: pictures

#336845 - 07/25/10 07:49 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: pufferfish]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Just a smidge of coincidence, the woman who played Sybil's mother was born in St Louis, MO. So was my mother.

I was watching the movie today, almost studying it.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#336847 - 07/25/10 08:34 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: FormerTexan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
There is really a lot in that movie. I have seen it a total of 3 times, spread over a bunch of years. The first 2 times I probably didn't "get" what was going on very well. But I didn't know very much about DID/MPD then. The author of the script of the movie Sybil worked very, very hard at it, trying to portray accurately what was going on. They even had Sybil's psychiatrist on the set for a while and they had her involvement in the script. They listened to hours of taped sessions between Sybil and her therapist.

Ideally it would be good for someone highly competent in DID/MPD to add a play-by-play analysis of the movie in the form of notes that could be turned on or off.

The notes for the movie would tell when she is having PTSD, flashbacks, or a shift in her alter (alter means alternate personality). It would help so many people to have this kind of analysis available. Sybil's alters have been listed in the book by that name and are in Wikipedia. Some of them are pretty obvious. When she hears the squeeking of the swing, that is PTSD. In her mind it carries her back to the trauma of the sound of the pulley as her sick mother pulled her "up".

When Sybil waded in the pond when she was a teacher-assistant, she was obviously in a child personality, possibly Marjorie. When she cried and crawled under her therapist's piano, she was one of the Peggys. And so on.

An interesting point is, how did her paranoid schizophrenic mother affect her in the development of these personalities, I mean beyond the obvious reasons.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (07/28/12 01:07 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.