Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (Banjo596), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443952 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#335409 - 07/06/10 12:19 PM I just watched Sybil
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

About two weeks ago, I was wanting to watch Sybil, about a young woman who had 13 different personalities. She had a very abusive mother who scarred her both physically and emotionally. After looking up DID on Google, it had a Youtube link, and Sybil is broken into 19 10 minute pieces.

I always wanted what Sybil had in the end (freedom), and it was something my mom wanted as well. I have never asked her, but I just know she was sexually violated at some point in her life. She too was fascinated with the story, but she's never told.

I was triggered a little when Sybil was resisting going forward with the Dr. (her psychiatrist), more because I know the fear. Sybil actually admitted that later, except her words were of the fear it wasn't going to happen, that she might not survive it. Fear of impending doom from dark religious messages stayed with her.

I connected with the character. Sybil often said, "I don't think I can do this. I'm afraid." I know that fear. Have lived and hid behind it. Like Sybil, I feel it's wrong to feel that way.

I also looked this up since I've been afraid of parts of myself, known as DID (dissociative identity disorder), something I think I blink into, but have never lost time. I rather find someone/something that can survive a situation until the stress goes away. So I'm wanting relief now, something Sybil did too, but felt guilty for, and I do too.
I feel alone because parts of me pop up and say hi to others, but it's not all of me. I stay back, hidden, to feel safe.

I can't believe I just stated all this. Gonna post before I try to delete it--forget about it.

Peace to all of you,

Alfred

#335411 - 07/06/10 12:54 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Alfred,

Your desire to become whole is significant on the recovery, my brother. To research and critically examine therapies is a good thing. It shows how much you want to revive the over taken parts of your personality and revive the uninterrupted you.

Dissociation is definitely a concern for survivors, as the trauma we have experienced is beyond the scope of madness and treachery. Who, at any age, is?

It is right for you to explore these therapies, Alfred, and I am encouraged by your desire, I celebrate the awakening.

I welcome all of you, from all of me.

Heal well,
Sam

#335415 - 07/06/10 01:19 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: SamV]
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

The base question that pops up (screams) is "Is there something wrong with me????"

#335422 - 07/06/10 02:17 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

I remember Sybil when it came out in '76 on TV...I was 12 at the time. I couldn't say why I watched it to begin with other than I had had a crush on Sally Field in "The Flying Nun" reruns...LOL

BUT, I became transfixed by it...obsesses by it almost. I got the book upon which it was based. I read it several times even and thought about it a lot. The emergence of the personalities, the memories of what her mother did to her coming to the fore. Powerful stuff.

Kevin

#335425 - 07/06/10 02:30 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: sono]
kidneythis Offline

"the trauma we have experienced is beyond the scope of madness and treachery"

Great line Sasuva. One of the best I've heard describing our plight.

I watched it because of the Crush on Sally Field thing. I never did understand it. I probably still don't.
The dissociation I'm guilty of is more a conscious blocking out of things I can't deal with, mainly due to fear or shame. This blocking that I did (maybe still do but I don't think so) was learned so young and is so refined I am often not aware (should be past tense "was often...") I am blocking something out. That too was self taught because I became aware that the "unaturalness" of my aspect when I knew I did it made me stand out and got me negative attention and people avoided me.

Edited by kidneythis (07/06/10 02:32 PM)

#335432 - 07/06/10 04:37 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: fhorns]
GeorgeMartin Offline

Loc: USA
Go to Youtube.com and type in Dissociation and INSIDE. There is a video though not long at all, that explains MPD or DID the best I have ever seen it. The United States of Tara, though Hollywood hyped is pretty good (and funny). Peacock with Cillian Murphy is good too. (Though I do just HATE the way they demonize and twist up how the condition is). We are all not serial killers, are harmful to ourselves, other people, or specially to children.

There are some that say "Sybil" was based on a fraudulant real-life person living in Kentucky and Cornelia Wilber who hyped the case history to IMPLY that the real life woman had MPD. Maybe she did, and maybe she didn't.

#335458 - 07/07/10 01:02 AM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: GeorgeMartin]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you George,

That's a good source of information.

I watched several of these. The one at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le41jA8FA4s

Shows a young woman explaining DID. Put your hand or a card over the left half of her face and then switch it, cover the right side of her face. Do they look like the same person?
I don't think so. That speaker has DID and you can actually observe it in the opposite sides of her face.

There arose in the 90's a movement called the false-memory-syndrome. They tended to say that most reports of child sexual abuse were figments of the counseling method. They also attacked the idea of DID/MPD. But I believe that movement has been discredited by now. We accept DID/MPD as being a real phenomenon. Sybil was a real person and her therapist Cornelia Wilber is a respected psychotherapist in Kentucky who has treated many multiples. Sybil came back after the book was written and claimed that Dr. Wilber had not presented her as she really was. But that's always the problem in psychotherapy. The T has to come up with a concept of their patient in their own perception. The perception of the T probably always differs from the perception of the patient.

Allen

pufferfish

#335619 - 07/08/10 03:07 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le41jA8FA4s

Shows a young woman explaining DID. Put your hand or a card over the left half of her face and then switch it, cover the right side of her face. Do they look like the same person?
I don't think so. That speaker has DID and you can actually observe it in the opposite sides of her face.

I keep thinking about these issues because I still have trouble with them myself.

There is the young lady in that YouTube segment

If you look at her picture, though it's rather subtle, the left side of her face (from her point of view) shows a different mood and expression than the right side of her face. The left side looks quite depressed and melancholy. The right side of her face looks pretty normal and bland. I believe that this is one form of expression of DID/MPD. I also have this mode of expression and I've had to work hard on it with eye exercises, etc.

When I first started to discover these things, I purposed to make a file of pictures of people who appeared in the news and who had bilaterally different expressions on their faces. For lack of time this effort fell by the wayside. One of the pictures I did notice was a high-up official in the CIA.

Perhaps in DID/MPD this expression only appears in certain circumstances.

If any of you guys out there know anything more about this, I would sure like to hear from you.

Allen

#335651 - 07/08/10 09:42 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: pufferfish]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Kevin,

Same here, same age. I think what interested me about the movie was that there were aspects of my mother in Sybil's mother, so as I watched I occasionally superimposed my mother on her mother. Not hard to do, but I won't claim to have had the rottenness Sybil had done to her.

Andy

Edited by FormerTexan (07/08/10 09:57 PM)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#335659 - 07/08/10 11:19 PM Re: I just watched Sybil [Re: FormerTexan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow! Andy,

The mother scared the stuffin' out of me.

My mother was also nothing like that. But I think there are some guys here whose mothers were.

Allen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.