Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluestar7 (45), ferdie1949 (65), jonathan (57), LovingFriend (27), tjp42588 (26)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 65 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62566 Topics
438392 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#335220 - 07/04/10 11:54 AM Any advice on bi-polar?
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
I don't know if this belongs here or not. If it's in the wrong place, I'm sorry (and can a mod please move it to the right area?).
My girlfriend is bi-polar. Not sure yet to what extent (it's a long-distance relationship, and I haven't talked to her about her bipolar in any depth).
Does anybody have any advice for a significant other of a bi-polar survivor? Anything I need to know about? Like what to say and what not to say?
Any help is appreciated and, well, helpful.

#335230 - 07/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: KingFred]
kidneythis Offline

Maybe try the Friends and Family forum. I have to think this is something that someone there would have experience with since Bipolar disorder seems so common anymore.

#335240 - 07/04/10 02:28 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: kidneythis]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
My wife has been bipolar for as long as I've known her. It's something that has affected a lot of aspects of our marriage, but not in any way that couldn't be overcome. It became a lot easier to understand after I started reading about how the disorder works. Just know that not all cases of bipolar are alike. Some people have more of a tendency towards mania & hypomania, but their depressions are mild, and some can have major depression but only experience hypomania. It's predominantly a chemical imbalance so it's important for her to be working with a psychiatrist to get on the right meds. My wife responds very well to Tegretol, but we switched to Lamictal when she got pregnant and she & the baby are doing really well.

- Saint John of the Cross

#335330 - 07/05/10 11:20 AM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: CruxFidelis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
That's my understanding also. They must get their meds adjusted right by a good med-psychiatrist. And then they must stay on the meds. Bi-polars have a tendency to get off of their meds when they are feeling good. They don't think they need them anymore. And then they either misbehave or crash, neither of which is a desirable result.

Allen

pufferfish

#335364 - 07/05/10 09:50 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: pufferfish]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Bipolar isn't a noun, pufferfish.

- Saint John of the Cross

#338390 - 08/16/10 02:21 AM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: CruxFidelis]
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
Thanks guys for the responses. My apologies for the delayed response. honestly forgot I had posted this.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.