Newest Members
GoodKiwi, Naeno, stillhere35, RKS, Albertus
12557 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
2dayistheday (34), 4LaurenAline2 (48), akn (61), barrington (65), Gideonfl (52), James Michael (57), Obi (44), tu (46), Vedder32 (34), yoga_mom (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (GummyBear, 3 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12557 Members
73 Forums
64447 Topics
450142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#335220 - 07/04/10 11:54 AM Any advice on bi-polar?
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
I don't know if this belongs here or not. If it's in the wrong place, I'm sorry (and can a mod please move it to the right area?).
My girlfriend is bi-polar. Not sure yet to what extent (it's a long-distance relationship, and I haven't talked to her about her bipolar in any depth).
Does anybody have any advice for a significant other of a bi-polar survivor? Anything I need to know about? Like what to say and what not to say?
Any help is appreciated and, well, helpful.

#335230 - 07/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: KingFred]
kidneythis Offline

Maybe try the Friends and Family forum. I have to think this is something that someone there would have experience with since Bipolar disorder seems so common anymore.

#335240 - 07/04/10 02:28 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: kidneythis]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
My wife has been bipolar for as long as I've known her. It's something that has affected a lot of aspects of our marriage, but not in any way that couldn't be overcome. It became a lot easier to understand after I started reading about how the disorder works. Just know that not all cases of bipolar are alike. Some people have more of a tendency towards mania & hypomania, but their depressions are mild, and some can have major depression but only experience hypomania. It's predominantly a chemical imbalance so it's important for her to be working with a psychiatrist to get on the right meds. My wife responds very well to Tegretol, but we switched to Lamictal when she got pregnant and she & the baby are doing really well.

- Saint John of the Cross

#335330 - 07/05/10 11:20 AM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: CruxFidelis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
That's my understanding also. They must get their meds adjusted right by a good med-psychiatrist. And then they must stay on the meds. Bi-polars have a tendency to get off of their meds when they are feeling good. They don't think they need them anymore. And then they either misbehave or crash, neither of which is a desirable result.

Allen

pufferfish

#335364 - 07/05/10 09:50 PM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: pufferfish]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Bipolar isn't a noun, pufferfish.

- Saint John of the Cross

#338390 - 08/16/10 02:21 AM Re: Any advice on bi-polar? [Re: CruxFidelis]
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
Thanks guys for the responses. My apologies for the delayed response. honestly forgot I had posted this.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.