Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63115 Topics
441382 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#335139 - 07/03/10 01:19 AM Re: The benefits of being a victim [Re: just me]
jls Offline

Having the right to feel victimized by perps who went out of their way to hurt us is essential for beginning the recovery process. I don't agree with staying in that spot forever but it is an important touching stone to start with.

From recogizing the gravity of what sexual abuse is and what it does to people in general it shouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility for anyone to disclose in my opinion, given the numbers. So why all the reluctance to talk about it? I think a large part of it is a mentality where there isn't enough trust on either the discloser's or the listener's part to really move forward and deal with things. Just my thoughts. JS

#335143 - 07/03/10 06:22 AM Re: The benefits of being a victim [Re: jls]
BigV Offline

We live in a patriarchy, and that means people are afraid of accepting the idea of man as victim; man as not being in control of his fate. It challenges everything that most people hold near and dear, that is, the gender binary, and gender roles that are suppose to tell us who we are and how we are suppose to behave.

I'm trying to put the role of victim behind me, but even when I do, I'll still be a survivor. I own this. Unenlightened sycophants who can't see passed their kitchen blinds or office cubicles can not take this from me, because I know that they are just afraid. Far more, in fact, than I am.

BigV

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.