Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
6 registered (JW1230, susie, Obi, Jay1946, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447958 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#335010 - 07/01/10 07:48 AM Husband/Wife to see same therapist?
traveller Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Gday everyone,

I am looking for some advice on whether people think it's a good idea for my wife and me to see the same therapist. I have just re-started therapy for the second time and my wife also wants to see someone as well to help us through our shit (caused by me).

Should see go to see someone else or is that some sort of weird conflict of interest?

#335031 - 07/01/10 11:55 AM Re: Husband/Wife to see same therapist? [Re: traveller]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
My wife is also a therapist and does pretty much sees the same kind of issues I do. I hesitate doing both partners myself because it's too easy for one party to feel the T is siding with the other person. There is also the possibility that the T may slip and say something to party A that party B said.

So, it works better for us to split the couple. If you can find a T who can perhaps recommend another T whom s/he communicates well with, that's probably the best solution unless you can find a therapis couple like us.

Good luck and remember to check out the "Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping" that's on the MS site. It will help you ask the kinds of questions to get the right one.

#335051 - 07/01/10 06:31 PM Re: Husband/Wife to see same therapist? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
traveller Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks Ken. Thanks for the reply. I will ask my therapist if there is another around here who he recommends and who he communicates with. I am not too worried about something being let slip because that has been our problem all along - I want everything out there between us now. No more lies.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.