Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
4 registered (Doubter, ethereo222, don64, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63360 Topics
443053 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#334826 - 06/28/10 04:41 PM US Supreme Court deals pedophilia blow for Vatican
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
The Raw Story and other outlets are reporting that the SCOTUS has refused an appeal for immunity from the Catholic Church in sexual abuse cases.

Quote:
The US Supreme Court declined Monday to hear an appeal by the Vatican in a landmark case that opens the way for priests in the United States to stand trial for pedophilia.

Allowing a federal appeals court ruling to stand, the decision means Vatican officials including theoretically Pope Benedict XVI could face questioning under oath related to a litany of child sex abuse cases.

The Supreme Court effectively confirmed the decision of an appellate court to lift the Vatican's immunity in the case of an alleged pedophile priest in the northwestern state of Oregon.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#334828 - 06/28/10 04:58 PM Re: US Supreme Court deals pedophilia blow for Vatican [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
kidneythis Offline

Here's a local article. They moved this guy from Ireland to Chicago to Portland! All because of accusations of abuse.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/us_supreme_court_lets_vatican.html

#334837 - 06/28/10 07:02 PM Re: US Supreme Court deals pedophilia blow for Vatican [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: kidneythis
Here's a local article. They moved this guy from Ireland to Chicago to Portland! All because of accusations of abuse.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/us_supreme_court_lets_vatican.html

This guy doesn't see anything wrong with it!

Holy see?? More like see not!!

#334855 - 06/29/10 12:53 AM Re: US Supreme Court deals pedophilia blow for Vatican [Re: pufferfish]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers.

A great decision, if it stands.

I am sad to say that my refuge, was anothers hell.

Heal well my brothers, heal well.

"I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity."

Pete..Irishmoose.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#334865 - 06/29/10 09:12 AM Re: US Supreme Court deals pedophilia blow for Vatican [Re: petercorbett]
pluckmemory Offline

It was made by the US Supreme Court, so it stands!!

This makes up for their detestable decision in 2003, Stogner v. California, in which they struck a blow for the one year retroactive law for child abuse victims in criminal cases.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.