Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, pattom), 8 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443004 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#334621 - 06/25/10 02:19 PM Customizing Active Topics Page???
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi,

Is it possible to customize the way the Active Topics page comes up so that the "Friends and Family" list can be removed? I really hate seeing these women complain about how miserable it is being with a survivor in the little clips that come up. I know I'm not the only one.

Thanks,

K

#334649 - 06/25/10 08:18 PM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: sono]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Your comment got me thinking. How do you think people would react to men who were the same way about their relationship with a female survivor?

Just the same, I think those men and women who love and care for those of us who are survivors have the right to say "It's hard".

The only thing harder than living with a survivor, is being one.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#334693 - 06/26/10 01:33 PM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

sono,

The short answer to the question is no, it's not something that can be done without rewriting the site software which could of course be done for a price but I doubt the organization would be willing to foot that bill. That being the case I think Mark addressed the issue quite well with his answer.

John

#334695 - 06/26/10 03:02 PM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: WalkingSouth]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

John,

Thanks for the response.

Kevin

#334947 - 06/30/10 05:46 AM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: sono]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

After speaking with a member of the Family and Friends forum yesterday I was encouraged to provide a clarification for my initial post since I was not so elegant in describing my initial thoughts.

My point was that male survivors with girlfriends and wives can be particularly sensitive to the issues that they bring to those relationships and when in the first few lines of a post a girlfriend or wife expresses things which may have to do with displeasure over certain aspects of their relationship it is easy as a survivor to read that on the active topics page without seeking it out and then think to themselves, "I wonder if my wife or girlfriend would say that about me?". In other words, those opening lines can be very triggering to a fragile survivor and burst whatever self confidence they are trying to build up within the context of those relationships. My point was not in any way that Family and Friends should not have a voice, or that their concerns are any less valid or important. I was merely asking if it was technically possible for the male survivor to set his own preferences with regard to the active topics page and how it is viewed on his own computer.

Sorry for any misunderstanding or offense...both were unintentional.

thanks,

Kevin

#335291 - 07/04/10 08:31 PM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: sono]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

As far as I know there are no options available to set personal preferences for the Active topics portion of the website. It is a legitimate concern to be sure but little we can do in the way of a fix without spending funds that would have to be spent again every time there was a site software upgrade.

Let me talk to Nathan and see if there's any way of setting the Control Panel preferences for F&F so that they don't show up in Active topics. I think that's going to be about the only possible solution to the question raised if it can even be done in that manner.

Interestingly enough I think I've been on the site somewhere near 5 years and could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've used the active topics feature. I can see where it would be useful but somehow never got in the habit of using it.

#335292 - 07/04/10 08:52 PM Re: Customizing Active Topics Page??? [Re: WalkingSouth]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

John,

Thanks again for your second reply. I appreciate your looking into it but it's certainly not a burning concern. Fascinating though is to see how differently people can use the site. I exclusively use the active topics to see what new posts have come in for all forums in case there something somewhere that might help. I'm looking for it any place I can! lol

all the best,

Kevin

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.