Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
5 registered (highflight, pattom, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63542 Topics
443969 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#334605 - 06/25/10 09:22 AM Noble Silence
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Noble Silence

I stand tall
in the foundation
made from glass and straw

The floor shifts
I surprised
as in turmoil the walls rift.

Heaving and buckling,
the rudder chain snaps
dead weight, I'm chucking

What lies ahead for this
half the cargo adrift
shelter, destruction, or bliss

then the reprieve, a moment of sun
shines through in the bleak
and carries me over all that's undone

I talked and pondered into the night
and worried in sternness and pleas
to shore up the work, to turn away fright

it is the harbor of silence
reflection and poise
mindful and quiet, to my defense

A silence so noble
covers the pain
I am safe, this I know

Noble silence awakens me
of this terror that haunts
from which I flee

In the quiet, I hear
nothing, save nature
birds chirping, so near

This feeling of safety
rebuilding the ship
no more adrift, no latency

I restored, happy, secure
with a clear path
once more at the helm, the air is pure

Calm, heavy content, I at the wheel
aware in the silence,
I awaken, and retake with zeal.

Sam

#334615 - 06/25/10 11:48 AM Re: Noble Silence [Re: SamV]
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
Cool, Nice job Sam.

#334654 - 06/25/10 08:51 PM Re: Noble Silence [Re: SamV]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
So this Noble Silence; is it that it quieted your soul allowing you to take in all that is lovely therefore giving you the ability to take control and rebuild? Nice Poem.

Sam, do you think if I'd shut up for a moment Id fine this silence of which you speak? smile

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#334661 - 06/25/10 10:02 PM Re: Noble Silence [Re: earlybird]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Blacken, I appreciate it.

Eb, Noble silence is a term used to recover. It helps the survivor, in this case, to listen to his thoughts for a length of time, here is an excerpt from an inmate who experienced this.

Noble Silence

by Leighton Bates

Noble Silence - a technique used by a lot of Buddhists, monks, and nuns in which a person refrains from speaking as a way to help quiet the mind and condition the body in the discipline of right speech. By learning to keep from speaking every word that comes up, we can censor or even omit harmful speech, and thus keep from causing harm and suffering to others and ourselves.

Just this week I spent a day observing silence by not speaking. The purpose was to control my thoughts in order to control my speech. Sometimes I find myself just bursting out with all kinds of noises or words that I really regret speaking. I find that when I do not "bridle" my speech I can say all kinds of useless and hurtful things that I had no intention of saying. This can be really frustrating, especially when I'm trying to cultivate compassion and loving kindness towards others!

This was my second session of noble silence practice. It went fairly well and in the 24 hours I only spoke twice. (Don't laugh!) It's harder than you think, especially when one spends 23 hours a day in a cell by oneself. Add to this fact that other people seem to take this day (at least it seems to me) to holler down the tier to see how I am doing. Or, the guards are bringing around supplies and will want you to speak to them. It can be a bit frustrating.

The first thing I observed in the first few hours of silence was that I started to get angry. As I was lying on my bed reading a Dharma book, I felt a tightening in my chest, then the emotion of irritation, and then, outright anger.

The very first time that I practiced noble silence I had become so angry that I quit after a few hours. Our chaplain, who is trained in Tibetan Buddhism, had told me this might happen. I think it happens because you are putting your mind and body under a control that it is not used to, and therefore, you start to rebel against it.

So, I was prepared for it this time and when the anger arose, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath in and said to myself, "My mind is clear blue sky. Anger comes and anger goes (exhale), and my mind is a clear blue sky." While reciting this "mantra," I envisioned a clear blue sky and a cleansing energy going through my body, washing the anger away. After doing this once or twice, the unwanted emotions went away and I was left with a feeling of calm and peacefulness. I spent the rest of my day in peace and happiness. I felt a sense of accomplishment.

I am also aware that I think about the words I will say to others after breaking the silence and my thoughts are more considerate of others.

Our words when spoken without thought of how they will affect others are like arrows shot indiscriminately into the air. They can land anywhere hurting innocents and can even return to impale us with their barbed points. Practicing noble silence can turn those arrows into feathers that float harmlessly and land softly, and can even bring smiles to those hurting while bringing joy to our hearts at having done no harm.

#334663 - 06/25/10 10:47 PM Re: Noble Silence [Re: SamV]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hummm, Sasuva,

I'm going to have to be silent ant think about this a bit. smile

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#334681 - 06/26/10 10:08 AM Re: Noble Silence [Re: earlybird]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ha! Eb,

Silence is a virtue? Good things come to those who are silent?

wink

Sam

#334684 - 06/26/10 10:51 AM Re: Noble Silence [Re: SamV]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

If silence is a virtue I'm in deep trouble for I have virtue in short supply. Best go back to noise.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.