Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
10 registered (Obi, NeverGiveUp23, bluesky, focusedbody, 4 invisible), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63359 Topics
443038 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#334020 - 06/17/10 08:40 PM News for DID sufferers
kidneythis Offline

I thought it interesting to see this article as I never knew this until 5 minutes ago. Herschel Walker has DID!

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/inde..._opening_1.html

#334102 - 06/18/10 06:16 PM Re: News for DID sufferers [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Herschel Walker is kind of a super-human. He absolutely excelled in everything. He was a top-notch football player and track athlete. He got excellent grades. He now owns a string of restaurants, so he's also successful in business.

Breaking Free: My Life With Dissociative Identity Disorder, by Herschel Walker.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Dissociative-Identity-Disorder/dp/B002RAR432/

He describes how he had a super-athlete personality (he doesn't like the word "alter" - a lot of people don't - but it just means alternate personality). In tough situations on the football field he could switch to his super-football-performer personality and he could outperform anybody. He describes that he had an alter, The Judge, who would help with deciding in issues. And more I can't remember right now.

This book helped me a lot. I realized that I did something similar to Herschel when I was in several different situations in teaching or in playing horn. (I don't play football, I was ingloriously kicked off the junior varsity football team). I "became" a super teacher, imitating a science teacher who had a TV series, or I "became" that incredible hornist in the blah-blah symphony. But DID stuff can be pretty hard to sort out in ones' own life. The whole presumption of it is that one doesn't know it's there until usually a T points it out. For me, the structure of my DID collapsed (apparently) when my amnesia evaporated. After that it was like trying to deduce the structure of the Twin Towers from the rubble afterwards.

To be honest, I never really finished reading this book. I got all the way through his collegiate experience and I bogged down. So its possible I missed stuff. But he never claimed to have had any trauma as a child. He does cite an instance in which he saw some KKK-types psychologically torturing another black kid. But other than seeing it and running home, he claims he wasn't involved in it. So this doesn't make sense to me because we know that DID/MPD comes from severe childhood trauma at a very early age. Maybe I need to pick up the book and finish it.

I recommend the book though, especially to those who are sports fans and want to see how he DID it.

Allen

pufferfish

Edited by pufferfish (06/18/10 06:32 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.