Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
6 registered (woodenshoes, Obi, 4 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63649 Topics
444527 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#333711 - 06/14/10 10:40 AM Triggering movie. ***TRIGGERING***
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
TRIGGERING TRIGGERING TRIGGERING

Having a bad morning. Shaking and watery eyes. Last night , it was all internal (maybe because I wasn't sober from about 3pm until after I went to bed).
But it was all because my f***ing roommates (and the gf of one of them) decided to watch The Bad Lieutenant in the living room. I didn't know anything about the movie so I figured "Hey, these guys are watching a movie down here (vs in their bedroom, which they do 98% of the time) so it's gotta be ok.". How wrong i was.
For those of you that don't know about it, it stars Nicholas Cage who I guess plays a "dirty" cop (does drugs, etc).

*TRIGGERING* But in the five or ten minutes that I watched, there was a scene where Cage's character is getting sexual with a young woman that looked like she was a hooker. But what Cage was saying is what was triggering. He asked her why she was doing it (presumably being a hooker), if it was because she was molested. He then went on asking her if she liked being molested and...well, that's when I left. But it seemed like he was "getting off" on the idea of her being molested. Sick, right?
/end Triggering

What gets me is, why did my roommates decide to watch THIS movie in the living room? Like I said, they watch 98% of their movies in their bedroom. I keep telling myself that they wanted to watch it on the bigger screen, but my mind keeps screaming that they knew about those scenes and they just wanted to trigger me.

#333714 - 06/14/10 10:55 AM Re: Triggering movie. ***TRIGGERING*** [Re: KingFred]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
KingFred,

Do your roommate know about your abuse? If not, maybe they didn't know that movie would be triggering for you.

Is there any way you could casually ask them why they watched that movie in the living room? For all you know, maybe there was something wrong with their bedroom (not enough seating, a bad smell or something, too hot or too cold, etc.), and that is the reason they watched the movie in the living room.

I'm sorry you were triggered, buddy. I've never heard of this movie, but you know Hollywood - anything for shock value. I don't know if this helps, but after I watch something on TV that I find scary or offensive, I immediately watch something else that's funny, like a comedy. For me, it helps take the edge off of my negative feelings. Would that be a good coping mechanism for you, do you think?

I hope you feel better soon, buddy.

Bobcat

#333727 - 06/14/10 12:39 PM Re: Triggering movie. ***TRIGGERING*** [Re: TheBobcatAgain]
KingFred Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: West Coast, USA
Hey Bobcat, thanks for the comforting words.
Ya, my roommates (two brothers share the same room, their GFs sometime sleep over) know I'm a survivor of child abuse. I don't remember giving them any details, other than it was s*x*al in nature.
As for why they watched the movie in the living room vs in their room...I honestly don't know why. They've got enough room for the three of them (both brothers, one gf). I think they just wanted to watch it in the living room. Don't know why. I'll try asking them but not sure how to without setting them off.
Ya, I've got some (healthy) coping mechanisms. Used one of them this morning to help calm myself down. And ya, watching/listening to non-triggering comedy helps me too.

Anybody know anything about this movie?

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.