Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447714 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#333633 - 06/13/10 10:04 AM Beware Facebook Scams
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
A while back I encountered a stranger wanting to be friends on Facebook. She was a pretty stranger too. How could I refuse someone so pretty?

She said she is deaf and was part of something called the "Deaf Empowerment" program. Being a past interpreter for the deaf and having had several deaf friends, I was interested in knowing more. She said she wanted to send me a package in the mail and needed my address. I said, okay, what can this hurt? It's probably a promo package with brochures, fliers, a bumper sticker, etc. After sharing my address, she explained what was in the package: two Dell laptops and $20,000.

What?!? A big red flag just swooped down and knocked me in the forehead.

I wrote back explaining this was highly unusual, and asked what this was for. I shared this with a coworker, and he explained to me that someone could very likely be using me for a drop point for drugs. Wonderful. He went on to explain how someone once signed for a package similarly, then was confronted by someone with a firearm asking for the package.

My "friend" on Facebook also explained that there was a delivery fee and that I would have to sign for the package. Oooo-kay. Red flags are now waving all over the place. I wrote back saying I would not paying any delivery fee. I wrote back a few minutes later saying I would not be signing for anything. The last thing I need is to have my name on the delivery of contraband. Plus, I like having a pulse. Why risk such a good thing?

I never heard from her again after notifying her of my change of mind. And that's fine.

I looked up the "Deaf Empowerment" website on her info page. This site looked like something a squatter set up at the last minute in an attempt to appear legit.

This morning I received a FB message about how I was picked for the deaf lottery and won 350K. How nice!

Beware FB scams.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#333673 - 06/13/10 08:30 PM Re: Beware Facebook Scams [Re: FormerTexan]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Remember your friends....just in case grin

#333676 - 06/13/10 08:42 PM Re: Beware Facebook Scams [Re: Geeders]
kidneythis Offline

If they call to ask you for a service fee to send you the money tell em to take it out of the winnings.

Some people fall for this crap, pretty girls and or money are often the bait.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.