Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446828 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#333611 - 06/12/10 10:46 PM Who Knew, not me
kidneythis Offline

I had no idea I was supposed to pay attention to things like this. Heck until recently I didn't know what to call most of what I have going on inside me. So here are the symptoms of PTSD and what they look like. I had no idea. I have always been taught not to pay attention to this stuff. Makes me wonder just how many people have been abusing me.

Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms are commonly grouped into three types: intrusive memories, avoidance and numbing, and increased anxiety or emotional arousal (hyperarousal).

Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:
Flashbacks, or reliving the traumatic event for minutes or even days at a time
Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Symptoms of avoidance and emotional numbing may include:
Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
Feeling emotionally numb
Avoiding activities you once enjoyed
Hopelessness about the future
Memory problems
Trouble concentrating
Difficulty maintaining close relationships
Symptoms of anxiety and increased emotional arousal may include:
Irritability or anger
Overwhelming guilt or shame
Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much
Trouble sleeping
Being easily startled or frightened
Hearing or seeing things that aren't there

Edited by kidneythis (06/13/10 10:19 AM)

#333623 - 06/13/10 03:11 AM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: kidneythis]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
kidneythis,

Thank you for posting the symptoms of PTSD. I'm sure guys here will find that very helpful.

As for me, I can definitely say I have the following symptoms:
- Avoiding activities I once enjoyed
- Hopelessness about the future
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships
- Trouble sleeping
- Being easily startled or frightened

I also used to suffer from:
- Irritability and anger
- Overwhelming guilt and shame
But working with my therapist has helped me on those issues.

When I was young, I also suffered from:
- Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
But I worked through that one on my own, over several years.

By the way, I have been positively diagnosed with PTSD, by more than one therapist; so even though I don't have all of the symptoms, I guess I have enough of them to qualify. I just wanted to assure guys that they don't have to be suffering from ALL of the symptoms listed in order to be diagnosed with PTSD; sometimes just a few is enough. (I'm not implying that survivors WANT to be diagnosed with PTSD; just that sometimes we are eager to find the answers why we behave the way we do.)

I hope this was helpful. My love and best wishes to all those out there who suffer from PTSD also. You are not alone.

Bobcat

#333636 - 06/13/10 10:26 AM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: kidneythis]
kidneythis Offline

Bobcat Again,
That was a cool story about your handle. Thank you for the reply, I got this info from the Mayo Clinic website. There is a lot more for those interested right up to and including what to ask your potential T.

For reasons of clarity I have bolded the titles of separate parts of my post because there are only three symptoms to PTSD. The list following each symptom is an example of how those symptoms appear in sufferers generally. There are very likely other ways for them to represent. Or one might be like me and not know to call what is going on inside by these names.

As for wanting the diagnosis, to my mind one doesn't have the choice. You either have it or you don't. Your desire one way or another is as meaningless and effective as saying I don't want to be sick when you have the flu.

Getting it done officially? I can see where some would want to avoid this.

#333642 - 06/13/10 12:36 PM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: kidneythis]
Steve J Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Kidneythis & Bobcat,

Early last year, my T gave me a test developed by Patrick J. Carnes called the Post Traumatic Stress Index. There are 8 trauma categories: reactions, repetition, bonds, shame, pleasure, blocking, splitting, and abstinence. A score of 6 or above in any category is of major concern. I scored 6-16 in all of the categories. Since I've been dealing with this stuff for 30+ years, this was not what I wanted to hear or what I wanted to deal with.

My first step, besides meeting with my T, was to pay more attention to this discussion board. I've certainly learned a lot from you guys, and I can't thank you enough. Secondly, I've attended two WOR: Hope Springs last October and Dahlonega last May. Both of these were very healing experiences, and I highly recommend them.

On this forum, and I think it is on the next page, hapati posted an "Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma". I found this article to be extremely helpful for me. As a matter of fact, I took a copy to my T last week and told him I wanted to discuss it next week when we meet.

I am going to move into an area of personal belief, and I hope I don't offend anyone. That is not my intention. I personally believe that I create the world I experience, that thoughts become things, and what I focus on is what I get. If I keep mucking around in the past, then I will continue to get what I've been getting. For me, it is time to move on.

I've never been one to get involved with meditation because I believed it took too long to get any meaningful results. Just recently, I've come across the Holosync Solution created by Centerpointe Research Institute. Through the use of sound, they are able to induce a very deep meditative state in just a few minutes. Even though I've been using this product for a very short time, I can see positive results. You may want to check them out at www.centerpointe.com.

Thanks again for all of your help.

New Warrior, May 2008
WoR, Hope Springs, October 2009
WoR, Dahlonega, May 2010
malesurvivorsstory@blogspot.com

#333643 - 06/13/10 12:52 PM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: Steve J]
kidneythis Offline

Thank you for the info if I ever find a T I will try to remember to bring it up.
Just a thought here as this is a kind of sore point to me.

Your belief which I copied below is as good as any other. I'd only suggest to you that if you haven't processed enough of the past you won't be happy even if you do successfully move on. Now forgive me if I have assumed too much here you may not be meaning to move on w/o doing the work necessary.
It is my belief that one would remain split to use an expression from your post between the reality of the moved on world and the reality of the unprocessed feelings, emotions, and thoughts poking into that new life randomly and often destructively. My life is a perfect example of this and I didn't even know about the torture and abuse I now recall that explains these incidents.
If I had been encouraged to delve into my problems at any time in my youth or young adulthood rather than to "get over it" or more nicely "move on" (by my abusers and others who had their own agenda) I might have been able to recall the memories that popped out at me 4 years ago (wow that is a lot longer than it feels, I could almost swear it was just 6 months ago.) and been able to process them and maybe get some justice as it would have been closer to the events.
Thats my perspective based on my belief that most "healthy" advocates of this move on or get over it idea have their own agenda which usually involves protecting someone from liability rather than helping the victim.

"I am going to move into an area of personal belief, and I hope I don't offend anyone. That is not my intention. I personally believe that I create the world I experience, that thoughts become things, and what I focus on is what I get. If I keep mucking around in the past, then I will continue to get what I've been getting. For me, it is time to move on."

Edited by kidneythis (06/13/10 12:53 PM)

#333758 - 06/14/10 09:34 PM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: Steve J]
kidneythis Offline

I googled it and found the test.
http://recovered-sanity.com/uploads/PTSI.pdf

I've looked at it and I find it isn't something I'd willingly participate in. For me it seems and intentional insult to frame all the questions in present tense. I find having to answer questions as it asks is akin to forcing me to sign a false confession. It would be just as easy to frame the sentences as questions using proper grammer. I have to say that this forced lying form of testing cannot possibly produce good results. At a minimum the person forced to answer is beign made to harm themselves by lying while being confused about how lies could produce honest results. I don't see how it could be constructive.

#333770 - 06/14/10 10:30 PM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: kidneythis]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The hardest person in the world to see. Is the person in the mirror.
Some times asking the right questions. And giveing honest ansers is not easy. Because they reveal to our self the truth.
And some times the truth is dificult to hear.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#333796 - 06/15/10 11:38 AM Re: Who Knew, not me [Re: OKIE MIKE]
kidneythis Offline

"Some times asking the right questions. And giveing honest ansers is not easy."

That's my point Mike. The test instructions tells you, orders you, to lie. How can that give honest results?
I find it manipulative and smacking of a hidden agenda.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.