Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442067 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#333022 - 06/05/10 04:47 PM Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma
hapati Offline

Loc:
Hello All,

I thought this article would be helpful to you all.

I attached it below.

--

The Trauma Myth: Understanding the True Dynamics of Sexual Abuse
By Susan Clancy, Psychotherapy Networker
Posted on June 4, 2010, Printed on June 5, 2010
http://www.alternet.org/story/146941/

From the book The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children and Its Aftermath by Susan A. Clancy. Copyright © 2009 by Susan A. Clancy. Reprinted by permission of Basic Books, a member of the Perseus Book Group. Tell us what you think about this article by e-mail at letters@psychnetworker.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , or at www.psychotherapynetworker.org. Log in and you'll find the comment section on every page of the online Magazine section.

As a graduate student at Harvard in the mid-1990s, I participated in research studies carried out by the psychology department that began in October 1996 and continued until August 2005 to interview adults who had experience sexual abuse as children and learn what effects the abuse had had on their lives. Although I was sure I knew what I would discover—that the abuse would be remembered as a horrible experience that overwhelmed the people I interviewed with fear when it happened and had always been viewed as a traumatizing occurrence—what I heard in the hundreds of interviews I conducted was quite different. In nearly all the cases, the adults I questioned had not experienced the abuse as traumatic when it occurred and only came to regard it as so years later. And in many of the cases, they had never been questioned about their evolving sense of the abuse and the ongoing impact that it had on their lives, but only about what the traumatic experience had been like at the time. These findings led me to question the progress professionals in the sexual abuse field have made when it comes to understanding and treating child sexual abuse.

Certainly we have advanced to the point that the right things are being said (sexual abuse is common and harmful; it is never the child's fault). Funding in the trauma field has been secured, research conducted, studies and books published, treatment centers established, and public awareness raised through sex-education programs and campaigns in the media. But is any of it translating into actual progress for victims? Do they feel that they're being helped, that they're understood and their needs are being served effectively?

The trauma model's main purpose—one of the primary reasons why mental health professionals welcomed it with such enthusiasm in the 1980s—was to provide an explanation for how and why sexual abuse wreaks such psychological and social havoc in victims. Armed with a better understanding of the impact of abuse, mental health professionals hoped to be better able to help victims cope with and recover from these damaging crimes.

The problem is that today, after more than twenty-five years, predictions based on the trauma model have not proved accurate. Characteristics of the sexual abuse experience related to trauma (like how frightening it was, whether penetration or force was involved, and how many times it happened) do not do a good job of forecasting the level of long-term psychological harm experienced. There appears to be no direct, linear relationship between the severity of the abuse and the psychosocial difficulties victims experience in adulthood. Worst of all, we have developed no clearly effective treatments for sexual abuse victims. They continue to suffer from psychological and social problems in the aftermath of their abuse, and mental health professionals still have not reached a consensus as to exactly why or what precisely to do to help them recover.

This state of affairs is far from surprising. How can trauma be the cause of harm if most victims say that the abuse was not traumatic when it happened? A growing number of scholars in the sexual abuse field are coming to agree that understanding how and why sexual abuse damages victims probably has little to do with the actual abuse and a lot to do with what happens in its aftermath. For example, as David Finkelhor concluded in his recent book Childhood Victimization, continuing research efforts that seek to track the consequences of early events through developmental, cognitive, and behavioral pathways may prove more fruitful than continuing the restrictive focus on the severity and nature of event-specific trauma. I believe that the victims themselves have always known this.

--------------

Jen was a sixty-five-year-old, divorced, retired administrative assistant. A tall, big-boned redhead with long purple fingernails, she was up front about lots of things. She did not like the coffee I gave her, my office was too cold, and she did not like the color of my hair. We were at the part of the interview when I asked her to rate how traumatic her abuse had been when it occurred. She did not like the questions I asked.

"Nothing personal," she said, "but these questions are kind of dumb. If you are trying to do what you say you're trying to do, and figure out why the abuse screwed me up so badly, why are you asking so many questions about what it was like when it happened? What you need to be focusing on was what it was like later on."

I asked what she meant. "What I mean is that what it was like when it happened and what it is like now are two separate things entirely."

At that point in my career, I did not have a lot of experience interviewing sexual abuse victims. I had, however, a lot of experience interviewing victims of other kinds of horrible experiences (motor vehicle accidents, combat, natural disasters, abductions), and I had asked these subjects to rate how traumatic the events were at the time. No one in these studies had ever said this to me before. And as far as I knew at the time, scholars were not talking how perceptions of the traumatic nature of an abuse experience change over time—how an event not initially perceived as horrible could become so. They certainly talked about how symptoms of trauma (depression, anxiety) might not manifest themselves until long after the abuse, but they were not talking about how perceptions of the abuse itself can change.

I knew I had to consider Jen's words seriously. From that point on, I asked my question in two parts: What was the experience like when it happened? And what is the experience like for you today, looking back on it.

By the end of the study, the data was clear. Although sexual abuse was not a particularly awful experience for many victims when it happened, looking back on it, from their perspective as adults, it was awful—ratings of shock, horror, disgust, and even fear were all high. Obviously, perceptions of abuse when it occurs and when victims look back on it years later are entirely different. In addition, sexual abuse is very different from other kinds of terrible life experiences. For example, getting into a car accident is traumatic both at the time it happens and later when it is recalled. Sexual abuse, however, becomes traumatic later on. Why? What happens in the aftermath of sexual abuse?

According to victims, they did not experience the abuse as awful when it happened because most simply did not understand clearly the meaning or significance of the sexual behaviors they were engaging in. That being said, at some point later on in life, they do. Over time, the "cloak of innocence lifted," as one victim described it. Victims reconceptualized the formerly "confusing and weird experiences" and understood them for what they were—sexual in nature and clearly wrong. Only at this point—when the sexual abuse is fully apprehended—does it begin to damage victims.

Reconceptualization

When Anne, a twenty-eight-year-old mother of two, was eight years old, her mother started working outside the home. Between 3 P.M. when Anne got home from school and 6 P.M. when her mom came home from work, a neighbor and friend of her mother's named Frank would babysit. Frank sexually abused Anne. Sometimes, when Anne was sitting in his lap, he would "put his fingers inside my panties and feel me up . . . and while this was going on he would thrust himself up against my butt and he would be breathing heavy."

When it was happening, Anne said she did not like what he was doing but was "definitely not traumatized." And she was not different from most of the victims who spoke to me. "I knew it was something I shouldn't talk about with my mother, but not really exactly totally sure why." After about eight months of intermittent abuse, Frank left town, and Anne said she "just didn't think much about it again." But then something changed.

Anne reconceptualized her abuse—she figured out the meaning of these previously ambiguous experiences. "I remember this like it was yesterday. . . . I was in eighth grade and my friend Jennie was over and she had seen her brother and his girlfriend making out and she was reenacting them rolling around on the ground and moaning and it was then [that] I remembered what happened; it reminded me of what happened. . . . I realized, totally all of a sudden, that what had happened to me was sexual—that I had basically been having sexual experiences with my babysitter when I was kid." It took Anne six years to cognitively reconceptualize what happened to her and understand that it was wrong.

Betrayal

When they discover that they have been abused, victims most frequently report feelings of betrayal. As Cheryl, a forty-three-year-old high school teacher on maternity leave with triplets, put it, "I realized that I trusted him, what he was doing, and I should not have. He knew he was doing something wrong, and he knew I didn't know. . . . It was all an elaborate game of sexual betrayal." As Neil, an AIDS activist working for a hospital in Boston, said, "I realized that it wasn't just what he did to me physically. At that moment [of discovery] I lost my father. He was no longer someone who loved and took care of me. I was just being used by him for his personal gratification."

For the victims who spoke to me, the degree of the betrayal was a function of two main variables. First, it depended on how close the victim felt to the perpetrator, on how much he or she trusted, cared about, or loved him. The second variable was the degree to which the victim believed he or she had been emotionally manipulated by the perpetrator or "taken in" by the situation. In those cases in which the abuse was traumatic when it happened (it involved force, violence, or pain), victims subsequently felt less betrayal. Since in these cases the children clearly understood the wrongness of the situation, any sense of betrayal arose immediately. And, because the children understood they were being victimized, the abuse was unlikely to happen again (or if it did, the child remained well aware of his or her victimization). Thus, victims did not have to undergo long periods in which they unknowingly fell prey to, as one subject told me, the perpetrator's "elaborate games of sexual betrayal." As Tom, a neurosurgeon, put it, "For two years, while it was happening I felt good about him. I believed him, all his lies and let him do whatever he wanted. It makes me sick to think about how much I trusted him, how much, for how long he took advantage of that." In other words, the degree of betrayal victims felt in the aftermath was an inverse function of how traumatic the abuse was when it happened: the less traumatic it was, the more betrayal victims reported.

As a consequence, many told me, this betrayal forced them to rethink the past. For many victims, a former sense of security is shattered; many report feeling a new sense of interpersonal insecurity and vulnerability. As Maria told me, "The day I understood what happened to me, I completely lost my own sense of security. The childhood I imagined I had—the safety that enveloped me—was shattered. The people who were supposed to be looking out for my well-being [and] taking care of me were not."

Betrayal affects not only victims' feelings of security and trust in others but also their self-worth. They feel that since they must not have been loved, perhaps they were not worth loving. As Charles, a history professor, explained to me, "You learn that who you are and what you might want or need just does not matter."

Considering the degree and extent of the betrayal victims felt, I expected anger at the perpetrator to be a common reaction. Yet only 5 percent spontaneously reported feeling angry at their abuser. Why would the victim of a crime punishable in almost any court system in the world not be angry at the perpetrator? According to victims, it is because they turned the anger inward. Most, to a shocking extent, blamed themselves.

Self-Blame

According to philosophers, psychiatrists, and intellectuals from Aristotle to William James, from Sigmund Freud to Donald Spence, when bad things happen to people—like discovering they were sexually abused by an adult they trusted—it is human nature to want to engage in a search for meaning, to understand why the event occurred and what its implications for one's life are.

As victims struggle to make sense of their experiences, they engage in an attribution process: they scan through all the possible explanations they can generate to come up with the one that they believe fits best. Traditionally defined, attributions are individual causal explanations for why events occur.

If a victim asks, why did someone I trusted abuse me? there are, of course, endless possible answers. For example, he was screwed up or drunk, or I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The famous attributional theorist, Martin Seligman, would refer to this category of answers as "external explanations for negative events." It assigns responsibility for the event to someone or something else. But almost all the victims I've spoken with, to some degree, endorse an "internal" explanation. They see the abuse as their fault—caused by their own characteristics or behavior.

I asked victims who was to blame for the abuse—them, the perpetrator, or both. Almost 80 percent felt both were at fault. While almost all could acknowledge that the perpetrator was responsible, they also thought they had done something wrong too.

Again, I have found that the degree of guilt victims feel in the aftermath of sexual abuse is strongly related to the degree of trauma experienced during the abuse when it happened. Specifically, the less traumatic (forceful, frightening, threatening) the abuse was while it occurred, the more guilt and self-blame the victims report later on. Those victims whose abuse involved force or violence usually report the least guilt. In such cases, the victims know it was not their fault. One of the victims I spoke with summarized this quite well: "I was bleeding. I screamed when it was happening. He ran away. I got rushed to the hospital. It was pretty clear to me that he had done something wrong, that it was definitely not my
fault." Victims who report no trauma at all during the abuse (for example, those who loved the perpetrator, enjoyed the attention, or occasionally welcomed the contact) feel extremely guilty.

Today, most adult victims' knowledge about sexual abuse, about what it is like when it happens and how children react at the time, is a function of what they hear, read, and see in the media—the culturally available, standard>

#333028 - 06/05/10 05:20 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: hapati]
hurtbuthopeful Offline

Loc: new york
wow, what a brilliant article-as a partner I found it very helpful for me-when my partner told me about his csa from his grandmother, 3 months ago, I was crying and held him, and he just seemed to be relating another story about when he was a kid. Now, in his early therapy experience, he's told me how angry he is at his parents who were emotionally abusive, and the violence/passivity of his dad. His grandmother seems to have loved him and he was "never afraid" of her. this article really helped me understand why hes not angry with her. He is filled with shame and profound sense of unworthiness. again, an amazing article-I wish we as a society could heed her advice.

#333030 - 06/05/10 05:25 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: hurtbuthopeful]
Anomalous Offline
Greeter Coordinator
MaleSurvivor
Hi Hapati,

WOW!!!

Thank you for posting this article.

It gives me so many of the answers and reasons for which I have been searching. It finally answers why, out of all the different abuses I have endured, this was the worst and, why the experiences with the person who was (initially) the least violent engender so much shame and guilt within me.

Anomalous

#333047 - 06/05/10 09:04 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: Anomalous]
Dusty Boy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Thanks for posting

Dusty

#333090 - 06/06/10 01:07 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: Dusty Boy]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Thank you also for posting. Yes, I was both violently abused for a short time by an uncle, but before that I was fondled lovingly. This helps me to put a proper perspective to each form of abuse I suffered. The "gentle" abuse was more insidious in its damage. I was thinking recently that I suppressed it all but I know now that I had been in constant contact with my father the first four years of my life even though previously I had professed to having never met him. Now I understand that when all contact with him was cut, I lost a sexual partner. I ended up in a daycare with a preacher that molested me and I felt loved. Then that was taken away, my father died and my uncle took my brother and me for two weeks til our mother stole us back. Despite rather brutal sexual, physcial, emotional and mental treatment, I was compliant in return. Because I liked the sex, though painful in part, I learned to please and it hurt less. But in some ways, the prior did more permanent damage. It is true that there is much more to be done in getting the truth out.

In the same vein, I read an old counseling book from the 80s I read while in social work in college. This "modern" text, when covering abuse and rape, stated that rape was always men acting out of powerlessness against women. There was not even a mention of adult male, child male sexual abuse. According to this, little boys were not abused sexually, only little girls were sexually abused. As I read the thing I thought, no wonder nobody could understand what was happening with me, if this was the guide for the professionals ten years after the core of my abuse.

Edited by catfish86 (06/06/10 01:09 PM)
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#333136 - 06/06/10 09:04 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: catfish86]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
hapati,

Thank you for posting this...

Pretty interesting brain candy.

Damaged (Plumb)

island

#355719 - 03/06/11 12:20 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: 1islandboy]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The author is correctly on to the fact that it's more complex than the single traumatic event trauma she's familiar with:

Quote:

At that point in my career, I did not have a lot of experience interviewing sexual abuse victims. I had, however, a lot of experience interviewing victims of other kinds of horrible experiences (motor vehicle accidents, combat, natural disasters, abductions), and I had asked these subjects to rate how traumatic the events were at the time. No one in these studies had ever said this to me before.

But, the "trauma model" has developed greatly since the 80's which she is oddly missing. In fact, the next edition of the DSM will include recent advances in understanding to reflect this:

http://www.traumacenter.org/products/pdf_files/Preprint_Dev_Trauma_Disorder.pdf

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#355798 - 03/07/11 11:29 AM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: LandOfShadow]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Good artical, thestuf on shame and self worth felt dead on. However i'm disturbed by the fact it doesn't once mention a female perpetrator.

I'm not sure if the use of "him" when talking about perpetrators in general was just a concession to the now rather old fashioned use of masculine pronown to refer to anyone, or an assumption that a perpetrator always has to be a man.

#355943 - 03/08/11 04:54 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: dark empathy]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It's the best I've seen for my experience. It's just haunting how accurate it is, and how, now, I just wonder what do other people experience???? OMG, it could have been so different... but how? I can't really imagine otherwise...

Is all the talk of internal states, chaos, unpredictability ring true for you?

Much of the language seems neutral, but all the importance placed on caregivers, i.e. mothers, would make that of course, even more inaccurate. It's of course, my mother, who is the big source of trauma for me.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#355961 - 03/08/11 09:07 PM Re: Article on Sexual Abuse and Trauma [Re: LandOfShadow]
alanhoops Offline

Great stuff. Very helpful. When I realized that I was groomed by my perp it really helped to see how manipulative he was. First acting like a cool, nice older brother giving me his attention. I was 12 he was 16 or 17. Then he started saying I did things to my friends which was not true. Then asking me to do things for him which I didn't feel right about doing. Then trying to get me to blow his cousin and him which scared me. So I agreed to do him but not both of them. I still didn't do anything. Then he threatened me that if I didn't do him then he and his friends would carry me to a field and I would have to blow them all. The thought of being paraded around the town on their shoulders and then having to blow them all together was very scary. Again, trying to get me to choose the lesser evil, him instead of multiple guys. The he approached me and my friends and asked who wants to do him. My friend all backed away. I felt bad for him because nobody agreed to blow him. So I did right in the open field where others could see. I didn't comprehend what I was doing but I agreed to do this for him. I figured I should get it over with before I get carried away by his friends at some point and have to do 10 guys in a row while they laughed at me. So I agree so much with the author about the shame that is felt when there was some agreement to do something I should not have done. It was a bad decision but given the grooming and my age and lack of knowledge I made the best decision I could at the time. I didn't know what I was doing and his penis was large so he told me what to do. I can remember the instruction until this day. I thought he had taught me a valuable skill. At some point it tasted bad and I couldn't do it anymore. I told him I would finish the job later on at the field he had threatened to bring me with his friends. I was afraid I didn't do enough. So innocent. Of course te other kids in the neighborhood didn't feel the same way so I was labeled a fag and made fun of and felt the shame. Shame being that I thought I was bad, not just that I may have done something bad. Not like the other boys anymore. Nowhere to hide in a small town where everybody knew everything about everyone. Still feeling the shame as of today because of what I did. I ended up volunteering to do this act after all the grooming. He didn't force me physically. He never bothered me again. But my life was never the same. I thought my only value was to service another guy. I believed I was inferior and not as masculine as the other boys. Still feel that way today. Why didn't I refuse at that moment like my friends did? Why was I fooled? How could I be so stupid? Why was I so weak? Why did he target me? Did he know I was an easy target? What made me an easy target? Was I gay? So many questions. So lonely and afraid. Reputation ruined. Don't know who or what I was anymore. That is the real trauma. My whole life turned upside down. Self hatred and persecution entered into a world that seemed safe beforehand. So much loss. So much pain. But I am a survivor and will not quit because my pain is helping others and will continue to do so because I have been to hell and I am stronger because I survived it. God has saved me and evil did not win. Remember the golden rule to love others as thyself. Starts with loving myself and being kind and compassionate and forgiving to myself. Very hard sometimes but that little boy deserves better. He just didn't know any better. Thank you for reading this my brothers and sisters. God bless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.