Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
8 registered (pattom, aniceguy, cant_remember, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443128 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#332968 - 06/05/10 01:41 AM fixing things
jls Offline

There is some messy stuff happening in the lives of some of my friend's right now that is causing me stress but I am telling myself that I can be a friend without having to feel personally responsible for fixing things.

This has always been a challenge for me, unduly taking on other people's problems as my own I mean, although in this experience I'm trying to turn that around and not feel burdened to do something except listen, nothing more, nothing less.

#332995 - 06/05/10 11:57 AM Re: fixing things [Re: jls]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
It is definitely important not to get tangled up in other peoples business, usually it means you will end up being the one getting all the blame.

Sometimes it is good to stand back when things go crazy, let your friends know you are there, but don't try to "fix" their problems.

You are doing the right thing by taking care of yourself in this- that's important.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#333115 - 06/06/10 05:47 PM Re: fixing things [Re: king tut]
jls Offline

Agreed about what you said. I'm just so accustomed to assuming a caretaking role (I think in part due to being the oldest) that it is really easy for me to slip into assuming other's problems as my own. Being an abuse survivor may have something to do with this to. We seem to go to extremes, as in we either need to be taken care of or do the caretaking with not much middle ground. Anyways in this experience I am putting limits on it, which no one resents, since I've realized that this expectation to care for people is self imposed and not by others, if this makes any sense. Anyways it feels good to say to myself that its OK to be OK even if other's I care about aren't. On the surface this may sound selfish but I have a right to be happy and secure, independent of whatever pain and suffering that exists in this world. It's taken me forever to realize this but perhaps its finally sinking in.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.