Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63796 Topics
445499 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#344535 - 11/08/10 11:59 PM Re: A Question [Re: ShyBear]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
If there is an HIV+ man who identifies as "always & truly exclusively "top", then I would suggest while he may claim that role... I suspect he tried the other position at least once and it only takes once.And as a man familiar with the story of immaculate conception and believe there is only one miraculous insemination. Therefore consider if he is having M4M sex he surely tried all the options before deciding his preference. Well that is how I see it but we all can differ in that opinion; but as I originally said "I also think it demonstrates a lack of character when an individual does not share information that the partner may want to know."

#344568 - 11/09/10 09:19 AM Re: A Question [Re: prisonerID]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's a really creepy question.
In American criminal jurisprudence, before a person can be convicted of a crime, the prosecution must prove that the individual possessed what is called mens rea, that is, a "guilty mind" or "criminal intent." That is, it must be proven that the actor acted with intent to cause the harm. There are also other causes of action against an individual that require a mere "recklessness" about one's actions.
Much of the law is still undeveloped in this area ... many state legislatures (which write criminal law) still wrestle with this very question.
From a strictly "ethical" and/or "moral" (as opposed to "legal") viewpoint, it is, in my opinion, inescapably abhorrent, irresponsible, and wrong that an HIV-positive man would knowingly have unprotected sex with another man - even if the non-infected partner "consented" to the sex and with full knowledge of his partner's status.
Our laws convict a young father when he intentionally smashes the skull of his infant child. To me, the act of an HIV-positive man knowingly spreading the HIV virus to others is equally culpable.

#344569 - 11/09/10 09:24 AM Re: A Question [Re: ShyBear]
EvanCan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, I just want to reiterate what Shybear stated.
The insertive partner is at risk, too.
"Tops" are not immune from contracting the HIV virus.

It's odd to me that this is 2010 and many men still don't "get" this.
To repeat: Tops are at risk, too!

#345374 - 11/16/10 06:26 AM Re: A Question [Re: EvanCan]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
It is still possible for a TOP to get HIV, even if he has never bottomed.

Even though it is 2010, there is still a lot of misconceptions and stigma out there related to having safer sex, hiv, stds, etc...

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#345381 - 11/16/10 07:05 AM Re: A Question [Re: diamondheart]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
There are also many who have HIV and don't even know it. That is why getting tested is so important... In the gay community there are guys who hook up and don't even ask the question about each others status. There is this fascination with unprotected sex. It is easy to judge and wonder how they could do it.

I believe in the attitude that when you have sex with someone, you are also having sex with everyone that has come before you.

There are a lot of grey areas when the unprotected sex is consensual, especially if it is a one night stand situation. If you are having unprotected sex in a casual sex situation, I have always wondered how can you know for a fact that you are negative? or trust someone who says they are negative knowing that they have unprotected sex...

Honestly a lot of guys don't care and even some guys want HIV.

I am not saying that someone who is HIV+ shouldn't tell their status. I am just saying a lot is involved. Now if someone lies about their status, I believe that is wrong.

Trust and communication is very important. So many guys are putting themselves at risk for various reasons. They need understanding and compassion!

http://itismytimetoshine.wordpress.com

#350248 - 01/10/11 08:21 AM Re: A Question [Re: diamondheart]
expom Offline

Loc: Australia
Danbuff and Shybear - May I question if you are quoting the latest research in your assertion that it is the catamite (receiver) who is at greater risk?

I was under the impression that the latest research coming from Sub-Saharan Africa is that the [word deleted] (inserter)is at higher risk. And the more so if he is NOT circumcised.

Recent work has shown that un-cut men are far mor likely to contract HIV/AIDS than circumcised men and that there is also a correlation in the size of the surface area of the foreskin and the risk of acquiring body-positive status. The larger the foreskin (using defined means of measuring this)the greater the chance of acquiring the virus.

Blaith, as to both parties going to get tested at the same time; this is commendable but it is also worth noting the sero-conversion time delay. If going down this route then best practice would be honest continuing monogomy, first test, continue with safe sex then second test 3 months later before any thought of bareback activity.

Please correct me if I have gotten the research wrong.

ADen

Edited by WalkingSouth (09/29/11 12:09 AM)
Edit Reason: remove derogatory content

#350320 - 01/10/11 10:58 PM Re: A Question [Re: expom]
Danbuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY state
Hello Expom, my Australian brother;
I am not sure which latest research you mean; is it 2007 or 2008 studies etc? You don't cite your research so how can anyone say whether you got it wrong? How credible is the research design and how many participants, who conducted it and so on. I merely said the receptive partner is at greater risk and I don't think any reasonable person can say otherwise and be serious. My point is as I originally posted. Assume everyone is a risk and make your own decision. We can get differing opinions and conclusions but there are inherent problems with research because of flaws for a host of reasons. I do not quote or cite a source. Perhaps I should clarify, it is my opinion based on what I call some common sense. This can be debated for an eternity and it will be left to individual conclusions and choices after all is said and done.

I will go a step further in my response and offer two links from a respected HIV resource if anyone wants to read more.

http://search3.thebody.com/search?q=Unprotected+insertive+partner+risk&site=thebody&seek.x=9&seek.y=13&seek=seek&client=thebody1&proxyreload=1&proxystylesheet=thebody1&output=xml_no_dtd&requiredFields=-archive.

Then there is this quoted excerpt followed by the link. The estimated per-act risk for unprotected insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Infected/Q179168.html

#350345 - 01/11/11 07:46 AM Re: A Question [Re: Danbuff]
expom Offline

Loc: Australia
Danbuff, I reckon that you are so very right in assuming everyone is a risk and making your own decisions.
I think it was Stalin who said that "one death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic".
The vagueries of the human condition can never be predicted. How come some acquire the virus on a single exposure yet there are cases of sex-trade workers in Africa who remain seemingly immune despite years of daily unprotected sex.
As I was reminded a couple of days ago; survival is just the beginning.

ADen

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.