Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (Bluedogone, 1 invisible), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441376 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#332362 - 05/28/10 01:37 PM Memorial day.
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Howdy, my fraternal brothers.

Well, we are now on a holiday weekend.

Monday, we celebrate Memorial day. (When i was a boy it was called Decoration day). We went to the cemetery & decorated the graves of the war dead, in respect, as they had given their life for their country.

The flag is hoisted to the top of the pole & then back down to half staff. Until 1200 noon, and back up to full staff.

As a military retiree & a Vietnam veteran, i ask of my fraternal brothers here, to please take a moment, say a prayer to your God, or higher power, in their honor.

Thank you my fraternal brothers. Have a nice & healing holiday weekend.

Pete..Irishmoose.

Edited by petercorbett (05/28/10 06:06 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#332364 - 05/28/10 01:43 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: petercorbett]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
you got it my brother pete...

thanks to you and all the others who have served to protect our freedoms in this country. i greatly appreciate it!

my story

my vlog

#332381 - 05/28/10 03:16 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: Obi]
westsidej Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Pete,

Thank you so much for your service to our country. I was just reading about decoration day today while looking for memorial day quotes. Here's one of the best that I found:

Quote:
Then as oft as the 30th of May returns with time's annual round let a grateful nation remember its dead, and with a floral offering decorate the tombs of its fallen heroes, while the dropping tear moistens the cold sod that covers their sleeping dust. To them we owe the liberty we enjoy; to them we owe the preservation of our institutions; and shall we not hold them in grateful remembrance? And though we may often differ in opinion, let us here be united. In God's name let us respect and love the dead who have died for us. Let this beautiful custom be perpetuated until the day shall become hallowed in the history of freedom. It carries with it the idea of our loss and the dear cost of liberty. It brings fresh to mind the deeds of our country's martyrs, it keeps alive and warm the greatest principles for which our sires poured out their blood, on which our republic is based.- James Alexander Logan

I will be observing Memorial Day by serving as color guard at local cemeteries with my American Legion post.

Thanks to all of our ms.org brothers who served, especially those that came before us and died without ever healing from their CSA.

Jay
Life member VFW

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#332404 - 05/28/10 06:00 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: westsidej]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
My Grandmother was one of the first women to ever experience battle during World War II in the nurse's core. She then dedicated the rest of her life to the VA, I can't think of the exact age she retired but it was in her late 70's. I spent every Memorial Day and Veterans day as a young boy at the hospital talking to the patients. My Grandfather landed at Normandy then joined a tank brigade that rolled there way thru France and Germany.

My mother already has two orange poppies to place on their grave, same thing every memorial day and veterans day.

So my hat goes off to the veterans in our group, I will think of every single one of you, including you Pete, this Monday.

#332421 - 05/28/10 09:25 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: petercorbett]
Charlie24 Offline

Pete, Jay, & Kevin, those are guys here I know, I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. To all our servicemen and women thank you for freedom. Thank you for the gift of safety in our great country.

I will say a prayer Pete for you and all the veteran's.

Charlie

#332487 - 05/29/10 02:29 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: Charlie24]
Anarion Cti Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern US
Amen! Thanks to all our veterans!

"Whom have I in heaven or earth but You?"

#332493 - 05/29/10 06:03 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: Anarion Cti]
pkincrisi Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Thank you to all of the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us. And thanks to all the men and women who faithfully protect us and give us freedom. Pete, I will pray for you and all veterans.

#332953 - 06/04/10 11:11 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: pkincrisi]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My Granddad was in WWI in France (odd since my family is German-speaking) and my father was drafted in January of 1942 went to the South Pacific to be in a tank batallion for 3 years. He was in a camp hospital and came down with malaria at the end of 1945. He survived (obviously, I'm here). I sometimes think that his experiences in the Islands and fighting with Japanese on Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal made him be physically abusive when I was a boy. Don't know for sure since he died suddenly in December of 1991.

#332978 - 06/05/10 09:53 AM Re: Memorial day. [Re: alan55]
kidneythis Offline

It actually isn't unusual for French or Italians from certain areas of those nations to natively speak German.

#333145 - 06/06/10 10:08 PM Re: Memorial day. [Re: kidneythis]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Very true - the Alsatian dialect comes to mind...

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.