Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (Harry), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63205 Topics
441957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#332526 - 05/30/10 07:09 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Pattycakes]
Dogs&Gods Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The Mighty Mitten
PC

Mike From Michigan here, Great job helping out one of us lost boys.

I found the web site from a link on My T's web site. I will give you a hint for your BF.

Let him know that what you have scene here is a safe place where men learn that they were not the only ones that had a secret that they kept since their boyhood.

Let him now this is a place that can help him understand not what was done to him sexually but mostly what the abuse did to his head in the areas of trust.

I am 38 and I am starting to live again and not just go thru life as I have for the past 28 years.

4 months here and my marriage is better, my friendships are better and my relationships with most of my family members are better!

#332540 - 05/30/10 09:38 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Dogs&Gods]
Pattycakes Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Mike!

thank you for taking the time. He might have checked MS already. I'm not certain but I noticed a change in him when I saw him yesterday. Well, for one, Saturdays were always out of reach for me. He was keeping me out by never going out with me on what is sometimes known as 'date night'.

Indeed, this is a safe place, even for me. You see, the abuse is not something to be discussed with just anyone in my entourage because I feel that it is HIS life, HIS story and HIS decision to share it with whom he feels comfortable so being here has been a real relief for me.

I bought Victims no longer and I'm reading it like there's no tomorrow. I will give it to him as soon as I'm done.

Thank you so much, Mike for your kind words. As you probably know, breaking isolation is a true relief, even though the first step is real scary.

So I thank everyone for making me feel welcome here as I was very afraid to be seen as an intruder.

I wish you, Mike, and all the others all the best that life has to offer!

Pattycakes

#332547 - 05/30/10 12:24 PM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Pattycakes]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Pattycakes
I bought Victims no longer and I'm reading it like there's no tomorrow. I will give it to him as soon as I'm done.

Good move! wink

Just remember when you do give it to him, tell him that not everything in it will apply to him. He may be very,very triggered by the stories, or "statements" contain in the book. And while he may indeed realize that there is a whole community of us out here waiting for him, some of the statements are very troubling to read. And take care of yourself as well, for by now, you are surely wondering if after reading all that is contained in Mike Lew's book, you are indeed living on a planet populated by humans. Many of the stories are indeed horrific. But they are our stories. And we have survived to tell them through Mike Lew's book.

Jim

#332853 - 06/03/10 09:42 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Geeders]
Pattycakes Offline

To All,

thanks for your input. It means a lot to me.

To Jim,
thanks for the tip. I had been playing the scene in my head for the last few days as how I'd give it to him and what I'd say. I'll stick with a simple statement like: 'in order to understand you better, I bought and read this book. Although not everything will apply to you in it, it may help you understand yourself better and if you want to talk about it after, I'll be right here for you.'
How does that sound?

Pattycakes

#332878 - 06/03/10 02:45 PM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Pattycakes]
Lenz Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Pattycakes,

Help is difficult to recieve from others when it is yourself, and himself, that must discover that you need help.

Your ability to ask for help develops in the same way that you seem to look to help your friend.

If this doesn't make sense, pardon me, but I found myself helping everyone I knew until I saw that I needed to help myeslf. His/their process is not your process. This may be part of that discovery.

Lenz

#332897 - 06/03/10 10:54 PM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Lenz]
Pattycakes Offline

Lenz,

it makes plenty of sense. Since joining, I've done a lot of introspection and I believe I was able to let go of some issues that were not mine but his.
Which is why I was able to bring up the subject of this website today in a matter that (when I think about it) must have been very matter-of-fact-like and without an ounce of pressure because he seemed curious about it. He asked me a few questions that I answered and that was it.
Who knows, he might take a look around. If he does, I will have done what I believe every human being should do: tell the other person that help is available and tell them where they can get it. The rest is up to him, you are right about that !

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. In fact, if it weren't for your post, I would not have reflected on my attitude towards him today. So, again, thank you very much.

Pattycakes

#332906 - 06/04/10 05:26 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Pattycakes]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Some time ago, a wise man told me that in order to get on the road to recovery, the man, and the man alone must make the decision to do so. But once on that road, he will need help and support. He cannot walk it alone and be successful, or even make much progress.

PC, I think you've left the road map on the coffee table for him to look at. Let's see now if he wants to take the trip. He may pick up the map a few times, and ponder what adventure awaits him. Lets's hope we'll see him on the road soon.

I think you've been doing a great job PC. Just remember to allow him to make the decision. It may take some time. But it must remain his decision. And while you wait and see what he decides to do, remember to take care of yourself as well.

JIm

#332910 - 06/04/10 07:27 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Geeders]
Pattycakes Offline

Thank you Jim,

I think you're right. The map is there and he knows I'm available as a co-pilot.

To All: thank you for your kind words towards myself. I couldn't give my b/f this kind of support if it wasn't for you guys here. Your words keep me going and keep me in check.

Big safe hugs to ALL. (((((ALL)))))

Pattycakes

#333147 - 06/06/10 10:18 PM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: Pattycakes]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Pattycakes - as a survivor,too, I am glad to have found this site. I found it by looking on the internet and selecting some to preview. This one appeared to be the one that would be best for me. There are others out there, but this one is where I feel I can express myself and be heard. Your BF has a long road ahead and I wish him healing. It takes a lifetime to work though this. As one of the guys said before, he may want to come here alone and not have you read much - or anything at all at first - since we had the choice taken away from us at an early age. Not much feels like it belongs to you...especially your body.
We are here to stand beside him. We are here to walk the road together. My wife knows I come here, and has my password,too, but she has yet to come in and look around. I've been here since October. I didn't deal with "my stuff" until last June and I'm 56. He will work through things as he can. No timeline...

#333174 - 06/07/10 08:49 AM Re: Questions to the men of this wonderful community [Re: alan55]
Pattycakes Offline

Alan,

thank you for taking the time to write. The timeline is the hardest part for both of us. He often says he wants to shake himself up and I believe that talking to you guys would be a great help. I hope he can realize that I don't expect him to just 'snap out of it' like he seems to think it is possible to do. It isn't. He's only putting unnecessary pressure on himself.

I'm just hoping that he is able to take baby steps and move forward slowly. Let's cross our fingers!

Thanks again for taking the time, it means a lot to me.

Pattycakes

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.