Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438086 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#331917 - 05/24/10 09:35 AM "Boy Scouts lagged in efforts to protect children"
kidneythis Offline

I'm glad that all this information is out there and that finally something may be done to force lazy adults to do what is right and necessary to protect children. Heck one of these pedophiles was on the national committee steering the child protection effort for BSA.

I get the feeling I've said something similar to this before but;
I feel let down that the whole article talks only about children as if once we grow past a certain point we aren't damaged any longer? or worthy of sympathy and help? I know it alludes to the damage to children and families but I think a more explicit example or discussion of the lifelong nature of the effects of abuse is warranted in this sphere of discussion.
Even those who seem to do well have effects they have to deal with even if it is just supressing the memory so they can pretend to be normal.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/post_106.html

#331920 - 05/24/10 10:00 AM Re: "Boy Scouts lagged in efforts to protect children" [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: kidneythis
I think a more explicit example or discussion of the lifelong nature of the effects of abuse is warranted in this sphere of discussion.
Even those who seem to do well have effects they have to deal with even if it is just supressing the memory so they can pretend to be normal.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/post_106.html

Kidney,

Thank you, that is an excellent article.

As a recipient of vicious abuse in the Boy Scouts, I have to reiterate that the damage was a life-time kind of thing and that it has taken immense effort to deal with it.

I have been told by several professional therapists that the abuse I expernienced in that Boy Scout camp would absolutely ruin a lot of individuals, and that I am highly exceptional to have survived it.

Several years ago I read a paperback book in which a boy came home from summer camp and was schizophrenic. I'm sorry I can't remember the title of that book.

Those of you who have read my account of that abuse realize that the top leadership in that camp were enjoying watching all the nude boys as they were examined by the camp doctor. This might offer an explanation as to why the national leadership of the Scouts failed to heed those lengthy reports of abuse which have accumulated over the years.

Allen

pufferfish

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.