Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jude, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63788 Topics
445452 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#331439 - 05/21/10 10:09 AM ABC News' 20/20 to have survivor of sexual abuse
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Men Reveal Secrets of Sexual Abuse in Solidarity with Accused Killer
Community, Family Members Allege Abuse at Hands of Boy Scout Troop Leader, Big Brother

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/TheLaw/fort-b...ory?id=10681149

Story to air today, May 21.

Allen

#331501 - 05/21/10 08:33 PM Re: ABC News' 20/20 to have survivor of sexual abuse [Re: pufferfish]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for this Allen. I'll try to watch it.

In the meantime, can someone explain to me why there is a Statute of Limitations on crimes against children? We don't have such a thing here in Canada as far as I know. Historical abuse is investigated when allegations are made, and prosecuted for the most part, assuming the perp is alive, located etc. While I do know also that some cases fail to move ahead, other reasons are the cause.

So who is being protected here with a Statute of Limitations?

Jim

#331525 - 05/21/10 11:10 PM Re: ABC News' 20/20 to have survivor of sexual abuse [Re: Geeders]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Spoiler Alert for those not in the Eastern Time zone! grin

Well, that was hard to watch at times...the use of the word "relationship" when describing the hold an abuser has on the abused. And I have to wonder, does the American Justice system administer justice with women who kill their abusers the same way as they have Aaron Vargas?

It was moving to watch as well. To see the other men come forward to back up Aaron's story, to say that they too were abused. And to see the support coming from the members of the community, and even from the abuser's own family...

This is a story I will follow with interest.

Thanks again for making us aware Allen.

Jim

#331530 - 05/21/10 11:42 PM Re: ABC News' 20/20 to have survivor of sexual abuse [Re: Geeders]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
In ABC's 20/20 they always try to present interviews of both sides, carefully chosen and carefully edited. At the end of the program you are left to choose which ever viewpoint you might like. That way the network can't be sued for presenting a biased report.

But. In this program it became evident that the law enforcement officer's basic claim was that Vargas' relationship with his abuser was consential. This is contrary to what we as CSA survivors know to be the usual case. The fact that at least 2 other children had been abused by the same guy was not considered. Apparently the law enforcement didn't investigate other reports of abuse. It was not considered that the abuse had begun at an age when the boys were too young to be given a "choice". They clearly had been manipulated by the abuser.

It became plain from what was presented that abusing kids seemed to be the perps hobby. He considered it an interesting challenge in his life to control and manipulate his victims.

The claim was made in this presentation that the abuser had a respected stance in the community of Fort Bragg before the abuse became known. This apparently was part of what made it impossible for the police to bring a case against him.

Allen

pufferfish

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.